Question SKY Q with no sat signal and limited internet?

is1111

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi moving house next Friday to a new build and Sky advising that they won't move our Sky Q package until we have working internet and they can't give us internet for about 2 weeks after we move and then tv is another week as they need line to be tested etc before they will do that so over 3 weeks with no Sky Q :facepalm:

Does anyone know if am I able to access any recordings on the Sky q box if there are not sat cables connected to it? My wife works for Three so we have a wifi usb dongle and can share a internet connection and think the new house gets decent 4g signal so will be able to get the box connected to internet if it functions without sat input.
I expect the box will need to be able to confirm working card and account but not sure how it does this. Hoping it is via internet and will allow us to watch recordings as we can then download lots of content just now before we move.
just off phone to sky and at work so I can't pull out the cables and test myself. Hoping someone can advise before I give the wife the bad news :rotfl:

Sorry for the bad news, but you can't play recordings without a sat signal.
Expected that to be the case but thanks for confirming. Will badger sky once we move and will have to live off tv on the ipad for a few weeks. Should be able to get some streaming to tv via mobile broadband too.

So next question is I have a firestick with a mirroring app and have managed to get bt sport to cast on my tv using airplay. Does sky go or sky q app on ipad allow airplay/mirroring function to a tv in the same fashion?

Nope, it's disabled by $ky.

You can use it on a PC/laptop connected direct to the TV though.
Cheers. Don't even have a decent laptop just now with hdmi out other than my work one. Got an xbox one and they have a sky go app but the wifi is goosed on the xbox one so it was getting used on a wired connection which I wont have at first in new house. Will need to do a bit of messing around then to get something set up. at least I do have some options and ipad or iphone with sky go as a last resort.

I don't see why they don't install on day one.

I don't see why they don't install on day one.
Raised that point with them especially as the installer said it doesn't need internet running to work just that can't get catch up etc. They say it's in their terms that need active internet and installer has to be able to get the boxes connected to each other over the network which I could easily do myself. New build house so shouldn't have too much issues with wifi travelling through the house

I think it might be worth double checking about the need for Internet.
Mine was connected but didn't need to be.

Asked them on two different calls and both said same thing. I may push for them to do it once moved as their moving home terms say I will be paying for sky q even if it's not viewable so that will be my angle for insisting they just install it and if I need another engineer visit later so be it. Got a new 4K tv getting delivered day after I move in so will be rubbish to not be able to try out the 4K movies and footy for 3 weeks :mad:

So next question is I have a firestick with a mirroring app and have managed to get bt sport to cast on my tv using airplay. Does sky go or sky q app on ipad allow airplay/mirroring function to a tv in the same fashion?

My S6 will mirror Sky Q. I also use the Mobdro App for android without any problems,

Has just about every tv and sports channel known to man.

I definitely wouldn't pay until it's installed.
You'll only be able to watch football in UHD though as films and shows in it have to download.

Yes will be on phone sorting something out when I move.
I've downloaded 4 or 5 UHD films that I haven't seen just now while I have decent internet. Will download some more before I move as still plenty of space on the hdd.

My S6 will mirror Sky Q. I also use the Mobdro App for android without any problems,

Has just about every tv and sports channel known to man.
How did you get Sky Q to work on the S6? They haven't released the mobile version yet.

Hi moving house next Friday to a new build and Sky advising that they won't move our Sky Q package until we have working internet and they can't give us internet for about 2 weeks after we move and then tv is another week as they need line to be tested etc before they will do that so over 3 weeks with no Sky Q :facepalm:
If you give them enough notice they can organise it without too much delay. They say at least 3 weeks before for a Q move.

I'm moving to a new build on 18th Nov and I phoned them on Monday to organise the move, when I finally got a completion date, and I have Openreach coming in on the 19th to install the phone line and Talk/broadband should be active by the end of Monday and Q installed the following day.

I expect something will go wrong and the install will get pushed back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom