SKY Q - wired network issues

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well Sky Q, not sure what your doing but you are messing with my network. All wired network using Draytek 2820 router, Cisco 2960CX / 3560CX switches. Games started lagging so did a ping from switch to router and packets were being dropped, check the logs and getting "MACFLAPS" on random ports.

Had to resort to pulling everything out before finally tracking it down to the wired connection to Sky Q, sure enough shutting that port down everything started working fine again.

If looks like the SKY Q box is putting out lots of mac addresses -

50 783e.535e.761a DYNAMIC Fa0/2
50 783e.536a.128a DYNAMIC Fa0/2
50 783e.5374.d350 DYNAMIC Fa0/2
50 783e.5374.d352 DYNAMIC Fa0/2

Very weird, haven't tried a reboot yet. Anyone else seen this?

I know nothing about these things but I see on my mini a different MAC address for each wireless band and one each for Powerline and Ethernet. Thats 4.

Like you @tom 2000 I have little knowledge of these things, but I'm trying to achieve a hard wired set-up, but despite all attempts I haven't been able to.

I've tried switching off WiFi on both main and mini boxes - which I confirm before anyone asks ;), but as soon as I go back to check status - everything is switched on o_O:confused:.

I've watched several YouTube videos on how to move from WiFi to Ethernet and they all invariably show 4 options - from the Service menu:
  • 2.4Ghz wireless
  • 5 Ghz wireless
  • Powerline
  • Ethernet
On entering the service menu I am only presented with the first 3 - NO Ethernet option.

Has this option been removed by Sky - anyone know where I might be going wrong.

Sorry OP hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread - the title and my issue seemed appropriate to post here :smashin:

Ethernet is the default connection method. The others remain enabled but the Ethernet takes priority. That's my understanding.

Ethernet is the default connection method. The others remain enabled but the Ethernet takes priority. That's my understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks twice over ;)

That would make sense. I presently use a Draytek router, yet the Network name appearing on the settings is SKY*****. Shouldn't that reflect the Draytek network name if, as you suggest it uses ethernet as default, where a cable connection is recognised?

Surely the network name is a wireless ID? Perhaps from a previous setup? It's ignoring that in favour of the wired. For the sake of neatness what if you pulled the Ethernet plug and went wireless and searched for a wireless network it would find the new one and go from there.
Edit. Ignore that. I know what you mean. Instead of "network " name I read Netgear and thought it was an old setting.

Thanks again Tom - that may well be the case, but of course I can't confirm whether it's ignoring that in favour of the wired connection.

Will certainly try your suggestion and see where it leads us. Will report back.

Pull the Ethernet plug and you will find out.

But if the Wireless connections are still active, they will just switch - almost seamlessly to wireless - telling me little - no? Will try anyway - thanks again.

But if the Wireless connections are still active, they will just switch - almost seamlessly to wireless - telling me little - no? Will try anyway - thanks again.

There's nothing seamless about mine. It might not be set up correctly but at least I know its Ethernet.

Thanks twice over ;)

That would make sense. I presently use a Draytek router, yet the Network name appearing on the settings is SKY*****. Shouldn't that reflect the Draytek network name if, as you suggest it uses ethernet as default, where a cable connection is recognised?

My setup is Ethernet via my TP-Link router, but still the network name shown in settings is SKY*****. The Sky installer initially used Wi-Fi but I set up Ethernet as soon as he left.

My setup is Ethernet via my TP-Link router, but still the network name shown in settings is SKY*****. The Sky installer initially used Wi-Fi but I set up Ethernet as soon as he left.

That's the private Sky network. Not sure but it might only work with the Sky Hub or maybe box to box.

can I ask how you get into the installers menu for SKYQ

regards

Highlight settings. Don't select it. Press 001 select.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm getting something very similar and wondered if you got to the bottom of it?

I have a SkyQ Silver and 2 Sky Minis plugged in via ethernet to my Netgear ProSafe switch along with another 8 networked devices. Intermittently the SkyQ will bring down the entire network and slow it to a crawl. If I unplug the SkyQ Silver from the switch (or both Sky Q Minis) so it switches over to wireless, then network normality resumes.

Now the strange this is that if I leave the SkyQ Silver disconnected for a while (something like 24 hours), then plug it back in then everything is okay again, well for a few weeks until it does it again.

It feels like a DoS attack, perhaps the SkyQ Silver giving out lots of MAC addresses is somehow confusing my switch?

I’d expect a switch to cope with MAC addresses as that’s its only job in life. Does it go away when you reboot the switch?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm getting something very similar and wondered if you got to the bottom of it?

I have a SkyQ Silver and 2 Sky Minis plugged in via ethernet to my Netgear ProSafe switch along with another 8 networked devices. Intermittently the SkyQ will bring down the entire network and slow it to a crawl. If I unplug the SkyQ Silver from the switch (or both Sky Q Minis) so it switches over to wireless, then network normality resumes.

Now the strange this is that if I leave the SkyQ Silver disconnected for a while (something like 24 hours), then plug it back in then everything is okay again, well for a few weeks until it does it again.

It feels like a DoS attack, perhaps the SkyQ Silver giving out lots of MAC addresses is somehow confusing my switch?

I've definitely had this, it's very odd. Haven't seen it for a while now though.

I’d expect a switch to cope with MAC addresses as that’s its only job in life. Does it go away when you reboot the switch?

A reboot of the switch makes no difference neither does a reset of the SkyQ Silver.

When it switches to wireless it's fine, but one of my Sky Minis doesn't get a good wifi signal which is why I went wired in the first place. I'd prefer not to have repeaters/mesh/homeplug when my house is wired with Cat6.

However I expect that by tomorrow it will have sorted itself out again and I can plug the ethernet cable back in. It's so odd....and annoying. If only I could work out the pattern, like some update that Sky are currently pushing to the box that is causing this DoS type event.

That means the MAC address theory doesn’t really hold water.

Would be good to get a Wireshark capture when it’s happening. Might give some clues.

That means the MAC address theory doesn’t really hold water.

Would be good to get a Wireshark capture when it’s happening. Might give some clues.

Good call. So as the problem is still occurring I've just taken a Wireshark capture with the SkyQ with ethernet cable disconnected and then ethernet cable connected.

With SkyQ ethernet disconnected I see packets from all the other devices plugged into the switch.

With SkyQ ethernet connected I see a massive increase in traffic with packets nearly all being the two entries below, and the occasional packet from my other devices:

No Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info
684 4.637372 Bskyb_e1:da:3a Broadcast VLAN 128 PRI: 0 DEI: 0 ID: 20
685 4.637709 Bskyb_12:5c:da Madge_ab:00:1c VLAN 108 PRI: 0 DEI: 0 ID: 20

Is that normal?

So I've since plugged the ethernet back into my SkyQ and it's working fine again. Confirmed it's using a wired connection for Silver and Minis.

When it was going crazy over 99% of the packets as captured by Wireshark were as my last post. Now it's working okay less than 2% of the total packets are from Bskyb and 0% are with protocol VLAN.

I guess my next step is to submit the Wireshark capture to a Sky network engineer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom