• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sky Q wired but with wireless

SuperSquash

Hi,

I'm looking into moving to Sky Q as we're paying BT just over £60 a month for TV and broadband. Broadband is good to be fair, but the TV is total garbage.

Anyway, I like the idea of the mesh network because I have an old house with thick brick walls which does not lend itself well to wireless. The trouble is, I do not wish to rely on wireless for TV viewing and so I intend to wire all of the boxes for reliability. From my reading so far, it looks as though to wire the mini boxes, you have to disable wireless. So in doing so, the mesh network is then disabled as well.

Is there a way to wire the boxes but keep the mesh network? I guess if the mini boxes are literally just repeaters, then they're not going to be able to...?

Toon Army

Watching this thread with interest as I have similar problems. If wireless is disabled, will I still be able to cast videos from a tablet to the Sky Q box?

muppetman

I connect my mini using external Homeplugs and it works perfectly , Wi-Fi is still enabled in the installer menu.

As I understand it the box will always default to Ethernet when one is plugged in however you should have no problems leaving Wi-Fi turned on in the settings.

SuperSquash

What is wireless signal and speed like when in the locale of the mini box? Are you positive that it's using that AP in your case, or could it be using the hub, for example?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom