SKY Q & Video Senders - Possible?

wilson85uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
My mother has just upgraded to SKQ Q from the older HD which used the larger boxes and I'd share the SKY TV with my bedroom via a wireless video sender, worked no problem. Although it was only a standard def signal taken off the scart feed, it was perfectly watchable on my 43" 4K TV.

According to what the sky engineer said "you can't piggy back off Q". They then mentioned the option of a sky Q mini box.

I know I can't connect the sender directly to the Q box but I thought all I'd need todo is, add an hdmi splitter, then connect to living room TV as normal, connect the other hdmi cable to an "hdmi to composite converter" and connect video sender and all is sorted, would this work ok, whose, right sky or myself?

I personally think with the sky engineer, their not allowed to support sharing a single box, as your meant to pay sky for an additional.

You need a sky Q mini box...then you can watch different channels,you will run into problems by doing it the old fashioned way...less cables,less clutter and a far superior picture.

I know I can't connect the sender directly to the Q box but I thought all I'd need todo is, add an hdmi splitter, then connect to living room TV as normal, connect the other hdmi cable to an "hdmi to composite converter" and connect video sender and all is sorted, would this work ok, whose, right sky or myself?

Your solution relies on a few factors none of which will be supported by Sky with some boarding on grey areas of the law.

• Most HDMI splitters have to output exactly the same format to both outputs and go with a lowest common denominator. So if the tv was 4k and the converter only 1080i (interlaced like sky hd) then the living room TV would also not be as good.
  • If you need a scaler (4k>1080p) and splitter they are more money, however it would still might not be compatible with the converter
  • The removal of the HDCP copy protection is a grey area, you might only get away with because of the conversion to SD
  • You are converting from 1080 to 480 so picture quality is significantly reduced
  • Stuck with the channel you are watching in the living room
  • How do you remote control?

That’s assuming it works and often these things can be problematic. So if the sky person said yes you can do these things and it came back you can’t you would be upset.

The sky mini is a much better solution, though it will cost you an initial purchase and ongoing charge.

Your solution relies on a few factors none of which will be supported by Sky with some boarding on grey areas of the law.

• Most HDMI splitters have to output exactly the same format to both outputs and go with a lowest common denominator. So if the tv was 4k and the converter only 1080i (interlaced like sky hd) then the living room TV would also not be as good.
  • If you need a scaler (4k>1080p) and splitter they are more money, however it would still might not be compatible with the converter
  • The removal of the HDCP copy protection is a grey area, you might only get away with because of the conversion to SD
  • You are converting from 1080 to 480 so picture quality is significantly reduced
  • Stuck with the channel you are watching in the living room
  • How do you remote control?

That’s assuming it works and often these things can be problematic. So if the sky person said yes you can do these things and it came back you can’t you would be upset.

The sky mini is a much better solution, though it will cost you an initial purchase and ongoing charge.
What about an HDMI switch unit, either one or the other, switch tv sender when not using living room and switch back when using main tv? and with regard to grey areas of the law "I'm not bothered in any way about that" :)

No as you need two outputs a switch only has inputs. Even a HDMI matrix, effectively a switch and a splitter with outputs that can be separate inputs would still need a scaler.

Sky box can only output one signal at a time and you/your mum don’t want to keep changing that.

It might not be a grey area for you but what I mean is it will be for sky. They can’t be seen to be condoning removal of copy protection.

If you are adamant you want want HDMI to composite then you might need to find one that’s works for 1080p. What’s the TV in question?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom