I am a bit peeved. Just had my noisy v2 box replaced thinking I would get a v3 2tb but the engineer didn’t know there was as v3 2tb so I’ve got another v2.
The v3s are all black I have an engineer coming tomorrow so see what he has on his van

Just had my V1 swapped for a V3, due to the V1 making so much noise and the wifi dropping all the time.. Box seems a lot quieter.
Also seems like the sound output is better. I have a Samsung Q90R soundbar (Atmos etc) and the sound does sound better with normal content and Atmos content, anyone know why this could be the case? are there updated internals

Yes I did he rang me before he arrived I said I have had the v1 and v2 he said he loads of v3 on the van it seams snappier menus etc but could be placebo
Do you notice any difference in sound quality from V1 to V3 ? I think I do but could be just placebo on this as well!

Just had my V1 swapped for a V3, due to the V1 making so much noise and the wifi dropping all the time.. Box seems a lot quieter.
Also seems like the sound output is better. I have a Samsung Q90R soundbar (Atmos etc) and the sound does sound better with normal content and Atmos content, anyone know why this could be the case? are there updated internals

Have you noticed any difference in picture quality as I swear it looks better. Used to have the sharpness turned up as the picture was soft but now have it set to 0 and the contrast etc now just seems better but not seen anyone else commentating on it.

Have you noticed any difference in picture quality as I swear it looks better. Used to have the sharpness turned up as the picture was soft but now have it set to 0 and the contrast etc now just seems better but not seen anyone else commentating on it.

I can confirm the picture does seem better, i had my 2TB V1 replaced today with a V3 due to constantly getting Hard drive errors on mine. HD picture is definitely better, haven't tried 4K just yet

Does the V3 box still have a optical digital audio out ?

Cheers,
Gary

For those complaining of a noisy Sky Q box, you could always try disabling 'pushed on demand' in the service menu.

There's little to nothing else you can really do about it as Q uses always on drives, designed for security TV systems, hence the constant noise.

But, I've found the unit a little quieter with 'pushed on demand' disabled. It's only able to download in HD anyway, so no loss to me.

Our v1 box was changed last week as it continually locked and crashed. A v2 box was installed and that's doing the same! Engineer coming tomorrow and I've asked for a v3 box.

For those complaining of a noisy Sky Q box, you could always try disabling 'pushed on demand' in the service menu.

There's little to nothing else you can really do about it as Q uses always on drives, designed for security TV systems, hence the constant noise.

But, I've found the unit a little quieter with 'pushed on demand' disabled. It's only able to download in HD anyway, so no loss to me.
The Q boxes use AV drives, designed specifically for use in PVR applications.

The Q boxes use AV drives, designed specifically for use in PVR applications.

I remember seeing the break down of a v1, years ago, and it had this drive in ST2000VM000 Seagate Video 3.5 2TB 5900RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive.

These had been primarily designed with CCTV/security operations in mind.

Seeing as these aren't available anymore, maybe Sky are using a dedicated drive and so I bow to your superior knowledge sensei;).

Pretty sure they operate in a similar way ie always on.

I can confirm the picture does seem better, i had my 2TB V1 replaced today with a V3 due to constantly getting Hard drive errors on mine. HD picture is definitely better, haven't tried 4K just yet
Thanks for replying 😊

Our v1 box was changed last week as it continually locked and crashed. A v2 box was installed and that's doing the same! Engineer coming tomorrow and I've asked for a v3 box.
V3 box installed today and I had to install 3 software updates ( now version Q112 ). System seems a bit faster, HDR checked and all ok so far.

Last edited:
So everyone is saying that the V3 picture is better on HD? I switched from Sky+ HD to Sky Q in 2016 and noticed the HD picture was really soft and worse. I switched back to Sky+ HD after a few months. But willing to review again if they have improved things since.

So everyone is saying that the V3 picture is better on HD? I switched from Sky+ HD to Sky Q in 2016 and noticed the HD picture was really soft and worse. I switched back to Sky+ HD after a few months. But willing to review again if they have improved things since.

It’s a long time since I’ve had a Sky HD box to be able to compare, but a lot has changed with Sky Q since release. I have to say I think sky have managed to develop one of the best set top box systems out there. I’m very happy with the picture quality.

Yeah when I first got Q in 2016 i moved from Sky+HD and immediately noticed the PQ was worse, its been the one thing that's annoyed me since, however with my box failing recently and it being swapped for a V3, HD PQ was the first thing i noticed that had improved, along with the UI being more responsive.

One thing I can't say is whether the PQ is back on par with what Sky+HD was originally, just that its definitely improved over the V1 box.

I'm really happy with mine now since having the V3. No more soft image and any dark scene before always looked a murky mess. No idea whats changed.

Just called Sky as we have had 3 main boxes and every one of them has given is constant issues

The main one is the box freezing up and having to pull the power cable out the back and in again, then hear the fans whir for about 10 seconds and calm down, then the box reboots. Our Main box is in a well aired unit so it's not due to overheating or anything

We have an enginner booking for tomorrow afternoon, and I have also requested to have the latest V3 box installed, due to all the issues previously.

Last edited:
Just called Sky as we have had 3 main boxes and every one of them has given is constant issues

The main one is the box freezing up and having to pull the power cable out the back and in again, then hear the fans whir for about 10 seconds and calm down, then the box reboots. Our Main box is in a well aired unit so it's not due to overheating or anything

We have an enginner booking for tomorrow afternoon, and I have also requested to have the latest V3 box installed, due to all the issues previously.

What was the outcome from the engineer's visit? I had Sky Q installed on Monday (V2 box). It locked up about five minutes after the engineer left. I updated the software to Q112 and still have the same problems. Strangely, it tells me that there is an update available after updating. Engineer due out this week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom