Maverick567

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had my Sky Q 2TB box replaced after having a freezing issue with my V1 box. The engineer has replaced the device with a V3, 2TB box, it’s completely Black. Anyone know what the difference is between the V2 and V3 boxes? Interestingly it doesn’t have an external PSU anymore.

Got a pic. I'm having to constantly either reset the wi fi. Or reset the main box. Starting to grate on me.

What's the model no?
You'll find it at Home, Settings, System Info, Hardware version.

It is displaying hardware version 32B206. The box seems slightly quicker to react.

Just done some checking and the box is in fact a 1TB box despite coming in a branded 2TB cardboard box!!

Correction, the box is a 2TB unit checking, weirdly Spotify lists the box as a 1TB, I known fault apparently.

Attachments

• 951D5432-140A-47AC-A514-128480ABBB86.jpeg
    951D5432-140A-47AC-A514-128480ABBB86.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,933
I've the original Sky Q silver box v1 obviously but I've noticed it's very noisy like a constant noise from it. Is the v3 quiet compared to your v1?

Interesting.

I had endless problems with my Sky Q V2 box - black screen, flashing, when switching sources - only resolved when they swapped it out for a V1 box. Which works fine. I’m hoping when HDR is eventually launched on Sky Q sometime in the next decade :confused: that the V1 box will support it. Or, that the V3 box does and will not send me back into a world of daily black screen pain.

I bet sky engineers have to deal with some right weapons. Must difficult trying to do your job and having to deal with people who think they know better day in, day out

After my V1 died a year or so back, the V2 will only work when plugged directly in to the TV.
If I go through my AV receiver, I have to reset almost daily.
But going straight to TV means I am unable to get Atmos sound.
Hopefully this V3 box works like the V1, maybe i’ll try for a swap at some point.

I've the original Sky Q silver box v1 obviously but I've noticed it's very noisy like a constant noise from it. Is the v3 quiet compared to your v1?
I've got a Sky Engineer coming out on the 17th for this very reason. We've had to start unplugging the SkyQ box when not in use because the low level whine is distracting and is actually making my wife feel ill.

It sounds a lot like a neighbour is vacuuming the same spot of carpet 24hrs of the day :confused:

I bet sky engineers have to deal with some right weapons. Must difficult trying to do your job and having to deal with people who think they know better day in, day out

I bet they do. It doesn't help that they aren't engineers, so only really know how to install something and reinstall the software.

Believe V2 box has HDMI 2.0 outputs ...necessary if HDR finally released.

The V1 box has HDMI 2.0 output too - a firmware upgrade raised it from 1.4 shortly after launch. HDMI 2.0 was required for UHD .

NO software update can change a hdmi output from 1.4 to 2.0. Full stop

It can when the hardware was always capable of HDMI 2.0 support and just needed a firmware update to enable it.

The V1 2TB Q boxes shipped with HDMI 1.4 enabled, but 2.0 was switched on in a later update - I had one and confirmed this using an HD Fury.

Sony also released firmware updates for TVs which upgraded 1.4 to 2.0. https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-update-201311283477.htm

Software update?
There's some confusion right now as to whether HDMI 1.4 products (like all current Ultra HD TVs) can be upgraded via a simple downloaded firmware update. Sony is saying its products can do this, but HDMI.org says that's not universal. From HDMI.org: "Currently, there are no provisions for doing [a 1.x to 2.0] upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly." Emphasis mine.

Since the specification and bandwidth are based on the HDMI hardware chips inside the products, getting these chips to do more than they were initially designed to seems a challenge, and that's likely why HDMI Licensing is hedging. The group is not saying it isn't possible, just deferring to the manufacturers.

For more info, check out HDMI 2.0 Upgrade Path: Where do the manufacturers stand?

So that confirms it is possible to upgrade a port in firmware alone (depending on the device).

Like I said, I've got a v1 2TB box which myHD Fury confirms is presenting an HDMI 2.0 connection.

So that confirms it is possible to upgrade a port in firmware alone (depending on the device).

Like I said, I've got a v1 2TB box which myHD Fury confirms is presenting an HDMI 2.0 connection.
That is exactly what happened this has come up many times on numerous forums.

I still have the original v1 2TB (Silver) box. You can check the details of your box using a web browser on your home network. Just check what the box IP address is then type this in: http://192.168.0.xxx:9006/as/system/information

Mine is:
hardwareModel: ES140
uhdCapable: True
hdrCapable: False

I still have the original v1 2TB (Silver) box. You can check the details of your box using a web browser on your home network. Just check what the box IP address is then type this in: http://192.168.0.xxx:9006/as/system/information

Mine is:
hardwareModel: ES140
uhdCapable: True
hdrCapable: False
As far as I'm aware the box wouldn't be able to deliver UHD at 50fps if it wasnt HDMI 2.0 so clearly it is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom