Sky Q V3

Russ_64

Need some help from fellow members that have 2TB v3 boxes.

Before I got my v3 replacement, my old v1 had bad sound dropouts when set to output DD or DD+. Several times during a normal TV show. Now with a new v3 and a different (decent - not Sky) HDMI cable, it has improved but I still get odd, totally random dropouts. This is doing my head in :devil:

Anyone else have Sky Q going into their SB with HDMI and then into TV? Do you notice any audio drops?

Update: my box updated to Q120 and no more audio drops:clap:

Last edited:

Adrian E

My Q box and soundbar both connected to the TV (LG CX and Sonos Arc), as there's only one HDMI on the Arc. Not had any audio dropouts with my 2TB V3 box (but do have random picture drop outs to 'snow' which I'm thinking are HDMI cable related)

tom 2000

New box today. V2 with power brick. He said it was the latest version. I didn’t argue. It’s as quiet as a church mouse.

HD2k15

I have now signed up to Sky Q, I originally had Sky Q back in 2016 when it first came out but went back to Sky+HD after 2 months, as I found Sky Q unreliable and the picture was soft (The soft picture really bugged me). After hearing good things about the V3 box, like sharper picture. I am going to give Sky Q another go. It has been 4 years.

I have told the Sky agent about 10 times to leave a note for the engineer that I want the 2TB all black V3 version. This is the only version I want. What is the chance of the engineer not giving me one and if he fobs me off with a v2, what can be done about this? Can I refuse installation and have him thinking that I am a weirdo awkward customer and end up having no Sky Q or will another engineer come out with V3?

Thanks

Russ_64

You can refuse but then you may have to wait until your local team can get a v3 box. The v2 is not too bad by most reports but I would not accept a v1 (silver). You can read my story in post #90 on page 4.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
I have now signed up to Sky Q, I originally had Sky Q back in 2016 when it first came out but went back to Sky+HD after 2 months, as I found Sky Q unreliable and the picture was soft (The soft picture really bugged me). After hearing good things about the V3 box, like sharper picture. I am going to give Sky Q another go. It has been 4 years.

I have told the Sky agent about 10 times to leave a note for the engineer that I want the 2TB all black V3 version. This is the only version I want. What is the chance of the engineer not giving me one and if he fobs me off with a v2, what can be done about this? Can I refuse installation and have him thinking that I am a weirdo awkward customer and end up having no Sky Q or will another engineer come out with V3?

Thanks
I think it’s highly likely you won’t get a v3, only have to read on here to see that engineers are fitting what’s on their van and rightly so in my opinion.

Very little discernible difference between the two, not enough to get your knickers in a twist about anyway.

garlandjon

Has anyone here gone from a V2 to a V3? Massive difference in picture from going from a V1 and it would be interested if this was just the V1 that had a poor picture.

HD2k15

I think it’s highly likely you won’t get a v3, only have to read on here to see that engineers are fitting what’s on their van and rightly so in my opinion.

Very little discernible difference between the two, not enough to get your knickers in a twist about anyway.
I have stated that I want a V3 and will refuse install if they do not. People are saying V3 is better in terms of picture quality which is a huge plus for me based on my negative experience with the V1. I do not want a V2 as it has external power brick and I will not have space for it.

HD2k15

Has anyone here gone from a V2 to a V3? Massive difference in picture from going from a V1 and it would be interested if this was just the V1 that had a poor picture.

This is what I am looking forward to. As when I had the V1, it was so soft. Now there is a V3 out, I am going back to Sky Q.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
I have stated that I want a V3 and will refuse install if they do not. People are saying V3 is better in terms of picture quality which is a huge plus for me based on my negative experience with the V1. I do not want a V2 as it has external power brick and I will not have space for it.
If you weren’t happy with v1 and think v3 is the holy grail then I’d save yourself and Sky some bother and cancel the installation now.

It’s a ridiculous frame of mind to be in if you ask me

Adrian E

I had a V2 box installed, which then suffered fairly frequent HDMI connectivity faults with my new LG CX pretty much from day 1. Tried messing about with different cables and ports, but to no avail. Sky agreed to replace by post, but couldn't guarantee a V3 box would be shipped.

I suspect any V2 stock remaining will be in the back of installer's vans/at local depots, but centrally I think all that stock must've been pushed out by now. My new box was a V3, which is the basis for that assumption. We're talking only 2-3 weeks between install of the V2 box and swap to the V3. No repeats of HDMI dropouts since the swap.

I don't think there's any discernible difference between V2 and V3 for picture quality. Maybe the menus are a bit faster to navigate, but not measurably so.

The V2 box supported HDR.

No harm in asking if he's got the V3 box on his van, if the first one that comes out isn't a V3. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, and if you're not happy with it there's various 'faults' you can deploy as a reason for getting it swapped after installation.

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Imo there's no difference in picture quality between the V2 and V3 , they are both better than the V1 for picture quality and much snappier in use , and yes i,ve had all 3

smiler30

There is a bit of a shortage of v3 boxes at the moment and it's mostly v2 boxes getting delivered to us, but to be honest they both work as well as one another.
as for refusing a install if it's not a v3 that's just being silly. 😂

HD2k15

There is a bit of a shortage of v3 boxes at the moment and it's mostly v2 boxes getting delivered to us, but to be honest they both work as well as one another.
as for refusing a install if it's not a v3 that's just being silly. 😂
The refusing of install, is due to me specifying that I wanted a V3 to the Sky agent, who then promised that I will get one as she has put notes on my account for the engineer to supply a V3, I also had to pay for t h box, so don’t see the harm in wanting the latest model for my money. The reason I don’t want a V2 is down to the V2 having a external power brick which I do not have space for and wanted to use my custom power cable that is already in my Sky+ HD box. The V3 would be perfect to swap straight over. V2 would be a hassle in removing my custom power cable and finding space for the external one.

KenVal

Just negotiating a new 18 month contract and cost fine but senior administrator would not budge on £50 exchange fee and no v3 2tb boxes available, only 1 tb! Will have to wait.

smiler30

The refusing of install, is due to me specifying that I wanted a V3 to the Sky agent, who then promised that I will get one as she has put notes on my account for the engineer to supply a V3, I also had to pay for t h box, so don’t see the harm in wanting the latest model for my money. The reason I don’t want a V2 is down to the V2 having a external power brick which I do not have space for and wanted to use my custom power cable that is already in my Sky+ HD box. The V3 would be perfect to swap straight over. V2 would be a hassle in removing my custom power cable and finding space for the external one.
I get what your saying but these notes that the advisors tell you they will put on are very rarely on our job description when we get it sent to us, hence us getting a ear full off angry customers when we turn up.🤣
I hope the engineer who comes out has one for you or could possibly source one if someone is close by to them.
On the back of my van, I have about 3 V1s which have been there for months and 8 V2s and not had any V3s for a couple of weeks.
I still have a V1 set up in my house as obviously I fitted mine at the beginning of Q so don't want to lose my recordings just yet😂 plus I've never had any issues with it so until hdr has a lot more content it's staying put 😁

Russ_64

@smiler30 Thank you for giving us real insight of what is happening in the real world.

You say that your v1 has no issues - have you not had any audio dropouts at all? My old v1 was very bad and now with a new v3 (and recent Q120 update) it is much better, but still get random drops.

garlandjon

As well as poorer picture my V1 had flickering in UHD content which reading into it seemed to be a wide spread issue (and why I got my box swapped).