Sky Q v Sky plus

Chrisgixer

I wanted to list the pros and cons on both systems somewhere in a an attempt to fully understand the capabilities of the new Q system. One of the main issues with the newer system over the old seems to be the expectation that Q will be “better” than plus, partly due to what was promised at launch and what was actually given to customers in the end.

I guess I’ll start with the pros of Q that plus does not have. That I know of....maybe people will chip in and correct or add features for the benefit of others. Followed by the “buts” that might let Q down for some.

Sky Q has over plus
UHD capability of course. But only 1uhd Box per household allowed. UHD arguably not as good as other platforms
And now HDR, but only for 3 titles so far.
1080p HD capability on other tv’s via mini boxes over Wi-fi primarily and Ethernet. But only 2 further boxes allowed per household. So 3 boxes total per household. 1 tv per box as standard.
Internet Wi-fi hot spots on each box. But only if you take sky broadband, will not work for other providers.
Voice activation via remote control. Commands and search titles etc.
If you loose the Q remote, press and hold the Q logo on the box and the remote will bleep.
live mini tv is available on plus, but Q also has it in the banner for other channels that are actually broadcasting. But only on the main box.
Q will rewind over two programmes. Last I saw plus dudnt
Please add any missed..?

Q promised but not delivered;
Ethernet connection between boxes via built in extenders. Used to be available in the software but it was removed by software update.
Touch sensitive remote control. Far easier to scroll through the menus but erratic behaviour when pressing buttons made it unusable. NLA.
A better distribution system than the old RF output in sky plus. It’s far better quality, but restricted to 2 further boxes only. Better?
Please add..?

sky plus has, that Q does not;
more buttons on the remote. Guide. Interactive. Box office. Services. NLA on Q. You have to go through the menus. Individual buttons for play and pause. These are combined on Q remote. This mean’s you can’t press play on the q remote and have the last recording start playing from the planner. You have to go through the menus. It also means you can’t change to a channel that’s recording and instantly rewind the recording like you could on sky plus, for some reason. You have to go through the menus and find the same programme you were watching and watch it from the recordings listing.
A search feature accessed from the software. The only access to search on Q Is via the remote and it’s dedicated search button, or the voice control button. This means you can’t use your tv remote to search Q. You can’t get to it. Unless there’s some other shortcut?
slow motion pause. NLA on Q
Bookmarks. NLA on Q

Starter for 10, please do add as required

rs101

Q,
You can have 4 minis, just only use 2 for Sky services at a time (you can watch Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer etc on them).
Has apps
Can download/stream recordings/watch live tv on mobile devices and Pc/Mac.
The boxes can output 1080p, but all Sky's broadcast and downloadable content is 1080i

dts

Distinguished Member
Sky Q...better intrigation for multi use households.Better user interface.Dolby atmos sound.sky touch remote can be used in an update to not use the swipe facilitie.voice control.record six channels whilst watching a 7the.faster downloads via on demand.

Non of them facilities available via sky +HD.

It's a big upgrade for me coming from a black sky + HD 2TB box...

Chrisgixer

Sky Q...better intrigation for multi use households.
Can you expand on that...?

Better user interface.
I disagree fully personally due to the number of button pushes required, the channel button being upside down and the back up button being swapped with the sky button, the loss of rewinding a recording prog without going to the planner, no slow motion no bookmarks, general navigation very fussy and the audio video setting being a million button pushes to access... but in what way?

Dolby atmos sound.
not that many programmes have it and it’s rifpddled with lip sync and sound drop out issues via hdmi. Which is the only way to get atoms. No?

sky touch remote can be used in an update to not use the swipe facilitie.
well yes, otherwise the remote is useless. Swipe = touch.

voice control
As mentioned, ifind this works very well. Impressive [in a Vader voice] 😁

record six channels whilst watching a 7the.faster downloads via on demand.
6 channel recording yes, but how are on demand downloads faster? Is that not bb connection dependant?

Non of them facilities available via sky +HD.

It's a big upgrade for me coming from a black sky + HD 2TB box...

dts

Distinguished Member
Multi screen work well,as I can watch sky Q downstairs...my daughter watches the sky Q mini...and my wife watches on the other sky Q mini when she goes to bed...

Dolby atmos...plenty of content that supports the audio format...I have NO lipsync issues when going through my LG oled...using arc to my Samsung HW-N950 soundbar.

The touch remote feels better then the new voice remote..the touch feature can be fickle...so I just use the button press version that can be changed in settings..

Sky + HD looks and feels ancient when you use it compared to Q.

Downloads do seem faster to me compared to sky HD(the same speeds via virgins media 350 meg service) via a wired connection.

Also picture quality seems better then the HD boxes.

Chrisgixer

Visually Q looks better but it’s purely aesthetics. I find that aspect a con frankly. But each to their own 👍

re PQ have you compared to freeview PQ? Some variation in opinions as to which is better it seems. Certainly here Q PQ (lol) Is the least plesent to look at.

Apparently touch remotes are no longer supplied with any Q box. Btw

leedebs

Still on the border on this. Fancied Sky Q & with Sky HD being phased out it looks to be the way forward. I have 2 issues though. One thing that slightly puts us off (me & the wife) is the shared planner aspect. We have a lounge & converted garage, with sky HD in both with a multiroom subscription. This means we both can watch programmes we like without issue. So for example some of the programmes I like are somewhat dark (ie horrors and murder series/films) & therefore are just on my planner. The wife on the other hand really does not like anything like this & tbh cringes at anything with any intent even so doesn't want to be reminded each time she turned on the TV (she likes cookery or "nice" programmes:)). So a shared planner is a bit of a show stopper. The other thing which I understand may be a problem going forward is that currently I own the box so at a later stage if I cancel Sky I can use the box to view the free channels etc, obviously with Sky Q they own the box so this wont be an option (although I heard mention that a quad?? lnb would solve this?).

Boris Blank

So a shared planner is a bit of a show stopper.
Exact same issue here, no matter how good the Q is, I won't be replacing my SkyHD until the Shared Planner issue has been resolved.

There has been murmurs for some time about Sky implementing "Profiles" on the Q so that multiroom users etc no longer share the same planner but I'll not hold my breath.

Chrisgixer

Still on the border on this. Fancied Sky Q & with Sky HD being phased out it looks to be the way forward. I have 2 issues though. One thing that slightly puts us off (me & the wife) is the shared planner aspect. We have a lounge & converted garage, with sky HD in both with a multiroom subscription. This means we both can watch programmes we like without issue. So for example some of the programmes I like are somewhat dark (ie horrors and murder series/films) & therefore are just on my planner. The wife on the other hand really does not like anything like this & tbh cringes at anything with any intent even so doesn't want to be reminded each time she turned on the TV (she likes cookery or "nice" programmes:)). So a shared planner is a bit of a show stopper. The other thing which I understand may be a problem going forward is that currently I own the box so at a later stage if I cancel Sky I can use the box to view the free channels etc, obviously with Sky Q they own the box so this wont be an option (although I heard mention that a quad?? lnb would solve this?).
Had exact same concerns as that. But now as a Q Customer it’s way down on the list of concerns. They should patrician the recordings per box imo. Thing is the recordings are listed as tiles. For aesthetics as said before. It looks pretty. But I find far less Straightforward to find your programme in the list. 9 tiles scroll up and down at a time but the second you stop Scrolling the info banner covers the top 3 so you can only see 6 recordings at a time. Where plus had 10(?) recordings per page? You can voice search of course. But flicking through for something to watch is not “better” In that regard.

as mentioned though a partition in the recordings for each box wouldn’t take much, buts as it’s taken sky 3(?) years to implement HDR and we only get 3 tiles.... is there any point asking them? They are so defensive all you get is strop from them

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom