Sky Q using single feed

perryni

Standard Member
I would like to install Sky Q but only have a single feed from my current dish to my living room. Its not practical to install more feeds to I am stuck with just the one.

I have heard Sky Q can run on single feed mode but would require dSCR technology.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to buy/install to make Sky Q work with just a single feed.

Cheers

perryni

Standard Member
Thanks for your answer.
Sorry for another question as you will need to forgive my ignorance about this.
Does the dSCR multiswitch sit inside the house and receive the single feed from the dish converting it to 2 feeds or does it sit by the dish converting 2 feeds into 1?

jonoro

It can sit at either position but it requires 2, or 4, cables from the lnb.
2 cables if it is a wideband multiswitch. 4 if it is fed from a quatro old style lnb.
It alsò requires a power supply feed into it.

winston2010

Probably nothing. The sky installer will provide a Q box and appropriate LNB I think. Best to confirm with them first.

miggyboys

I would like to install Sky Q but only have a single feed from my current dish to my living room. Its not practical to install more feeds to I am stuck with just the one.

I have heard Sky Q can run on single feed mode but would require dSCR technology.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to buy/install to make Sky Q work with just a single feed.

Cheers
Perryni, have a look at this:

miggyboys

Either a dSCR LNB or a dSCR multiswitch.
Hi Jonoro

How does the dSCR LNB work? Does this feed one or two cables into a wideband multiswitch?

Secondly, this only be used at one wall outlet or can it distribute SkyQ signals to other rooms? (including terrestrial TV, FM / DAB?).

Thanks

jonoro

The way a dSCR LNB works is by the Sky box telling the LNB which channels you want to use and the LNB then transposes these channels' frequencies and polarisations so that they all fit into one band and one polarisation, thus only one cable required.
To give an example say you use one channel in High band with V polarisation and another channel in Low band with H polarisation then the LNB would receive both but change the "apparant" polarisation of one and the frequency as well.

dSCR LNB's have a maximum number of channels they can output, typically 16.

As for distributing the dish signal to other rooms, I doubt it as the LNB would get confused by the digital control signsls being fed to it by 2 Sky boxes.
Others may know better on this though.
As for terrestrial etc, again I fon't know if tgere is a box out there that could inject tgese into the cable.

miggyboys

Thanks Jonoro, I don't have that setup but it's interesting to know.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom