Sky Q using hdmi splitter and AV sender

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Newby1234, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Newby1234

Newby1234
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I'm sure this will have been asked before but I can't find the specific answer I'm looking for.

What I'd like some advice on is if I change to Sky Q can I use a hdmi splitter and AV sender to send the picture\sound to another TV in the house and still use the remote from that room. I currently have this setup on my Virgin Tivo box and it works pretty well.

I appreciate you can only watch the same output as on the main box but that's good enough for the amount of use it gets and doesn't warrant the multi room subscription and mini box. Also is there any minimum spec'd cable\splitter requirements and will using a splitter degrade the picture to the main TV?

I don't want to sign up to Sky and find I am then forced into their multi room subscription and give them even more money!!

2. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    So the only solution i can find would be this
    HD-SP202DUO | NewLink 1 x 2 HDMI Splitter | RS Components
    Or this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Splitter-Cable-Plug-Sockets/dp/B001IYEGQG

There doesn’t seem to be any 4K supported ones, and you have to assume the splitter supports HDCP (I assume it should). The issue you may face is how far you’re sending the cable to the secondary tv.

The SkyQ mini box really isn’t a lot more. £12 a month more with a £20 set up fee. Not a lot on top for the ease of use of the mini box. But hey, each to their own.

3. Newby1234

Newby1234
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply.

I guess once you’ve got the splitter there’s no reason why the video sender I have won’t work and still give me the remote control use upstairs?

It’s the £12 a month that is the annoyance when I’ll already be paying a lot for the rest of the subscription.....

4. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Should be ok, but since I Haven’t tried before I can’t confim it

How long have you been with sky? Try ringing up and haggling, threaten to leave

‘I’m not happy about how much I’m paying etc’

5. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    What quality are you expecting on the 2nd TV and what kind of AV sender are you expecting to use?

You might want to consider using a DVB-T2 modulator with passthrough and Magic Eye support instead of hdmi splitter and video sender. This would give you 1080p via your TV aerial distribution providing your second TV can receive digital HD channels on its DVB tuner. It’s a bit like the RF2 output from the original Sky boxes but sent as a digital HD TV channel rather than as an analogue channel.