Sky Q upgrade install - last minute panic!

dplayer

Hi all,

I am having a Sky Q upgrade done on Friday but have a last minute panic that it won't be straightforward due to my current setup.

I have a Sky HD install that I did myself which has a quad LNB (but using only 2 Outs). This is run to a Labgear LDU604G and all the cables go downstairs through walls to a filtered faceplate.

Can anyone advise if this is going to cause an issue as I read online something to do with filtered faceplates and also loft boxes causing problems??

Thanks in advance

Dan

EDIT: Added some extra detail a couple of posts further down

Last edited:

Not a sky fan

Q does not work with the rf system.
It will be sky cable dish to box, then distributed by either WiFi, or cat 6 via Ethernet if the mini box is out of range of the WiFi.
No aerial cable involved 👍

dplayer

Q does not work with the rf system.
It will be sky cable dish to box, then distributed by either WiFi, or cat 6 via Ethernet if the mini box is out of range of the WiFi.
No aerial cable involved 👍

Thanks - the problem is there is no way they can get a cable direct from the dish to the sky box (that I would accept anyway).

Doing some research it looks like there are more modern distribution boxes that could be used but time is against me

dplayer

To add a little more detail on my current setup and what I was hoping to achieve...

Current:
SKY HD and Freeview on main TV in Lounge only. Connected from the dish using shotgun cable to a Labgear LDU604G. Also on the LDU604G is the TV aerial. Down through the walls using shotgun coax connected to a Varilight Quadplex face plate.

New:
Sky Q and Freeview on main TV in lounge, Sky Q mini box in kids Den (wireless so no issue on the additional box).

I have realised today that it looks like I can't use the LDU604G or the Quadplex face plates to achieve both Sky Q and Freeview on the TV.

So what are my options, any advice appreciated. The install is on Friday morning so chances are the Sky engineer won't be able to do it but is there a solution to be able to use the shotgun cable to the lounge to carry both Sky Q and Freeview?

Thanks Again

smiler30

I'm afraid your install will possibly get put on hold and rebooked as we have now stopped entering people's properties so no inside work now at all and yours will need reconfiguring to work.

dplayer

I'm afraid your install will possibly get put on hold and rebooked as we have now stopped entering people's properties so no inside work now at all and yours will need reconfiguring to work.

Thanks Smiler,

Could you advise on how it needs to be reconfigured?

Not a sky fan

They will happily run cables over roof tops and along gutters? If that helps you see a way to allow them to get the job done. Although it’s not looking good by the post above.

but am I to understand the dish cable goes straight to a distribution amp?
Any way I can’t see them using any of that install so it will likely be two separate systems from the dish, unless they can re use cable.

appologies this is more a query on my part than anything. 😞

dplayer

The Sky dish is currently connected direct to the Labear distribution unit in the loft and then from there down to the ground floor and terminating in a quadplex wall socket.

I think one of these would do the job but hoping one of the techy guys here could advise before I went ahead and ordered:

Regards
Dan

rs101

I don't believe you can use the same cabling /quadplexer for both Q and Freeview unfortunately. The wideband LNB system won't work through those.

dplayer

Hi all, just thought I’d update this post following the sky visit...

Firstly, they did visit so home visits are still taking place, the engineer was not allowed to enter the house but I talked through the install and came to the following;

I’ve bypassed the loft box by joining the LNB in and out connections, effectively making it a single cable run down to the wall plate.

Temporarily removed the face plate and joined a fly lead to the back of the new Q box.

This has got Q up and running, just lost my freeview signal for now.

Sky chap was kind enough to use a hybrid LNB too so I can add a freesat signal when I figure it out!

Probably going to give one of these a go as I have two faceplates in the lounge due to an old htpc install so can run two new cables to the LNB to the new multi switch and see if this gets my terrestrial signal back.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom