Sky-Q to Freesat enquiry

elgyveeten

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long story short just moved in to a new place with Sky-Q dish. Coming from Freeview on Android TV that's all I need so naturally going for Freesat as Sky removed the Freeview antenna. Currently 2 cables in living room and another 2 in bedroom, but looking at the LNB only 2 are actually connected (living room) and the other 2 (bedroom) are just hanging underneath the dish.
Since all that is new to me I did some research and understand those 2 Sky-Q cables need Freesat 4K TV box (£145) to work, but since I I'm not interested in recording but need TV in both rooms can I keep the current Sky-Q LNB and use the 2 cables going to 2 separate Manhattan SX (£60 each) boxes and just remove the extra set of 2 cables currently hanging underneath the dish or I need a normal 2 connector LNB so I can use it with them 2 Manhattan boxes? Also do I need to point the dish to different direction?

Have a look at the current dish and let me know if my thought process is correct or there's another way of doing it. Ignore the nest.
IMG20220212114506.jpg

Replace the LNB with a Hybrid or Quad, and run cables to where you need them.

”Sky removed the Freeview antenna”. Why, what’s it do with them?

Replace the LNB with a Hybrid or Quad, and run cables to where you need them.
Cables are where they need to be alredy, the question is about the current setup. Can I use one cable to each room instead of 2 or that LNB requires 2 cables connected to 1 box?

You need to replace the Q wideband LNB (one output H, the other V) with a Universal quad (4 output) LNB - where each output can be in any one of 4 modes as called for by the receivers connected.
(H Hi band, V Hi band, H Lo, V Lo)

Reconnect the two dangling cables and you can have two PVRs in each room. Or use one cable of the pairs to a single tuner.

Wideband LNB simple tuners need both cables (H & V) to work, switching between the two cables as required. Universal LNB tuners require a cable for every tuner.

Thank you very much for the clarification. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if I have to re-align the dish?

The dish remains aligned with 28 degrees east.

Thank you very much for the clarification. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if I have to re-align the dish?
No. Sky, Freesat, and free to air satellite all use the same satellite and same transponders.

Manhattan SX boxes can be had from John Lewis for £49 a pop with a 2y guarantee.

If you are very careful the LNB can be swapped with no need for any adjustment. Rarely, if the dish moves... or the arm sags under the different weight... a small tweak may be needed.

Check those spare cables/plugs carefully as they've not been waterproofed (but at least have been tucked up out of direct rain).
Also remove that pigeons' nest from behind it ;)

It looks like the nest of something bigger than a pigeon!

If you get the correct LNB, it should also fit inside the slightly smaller than 40mm collar. I've seen sky installers break the plastic LNB holder which comes attached to LNB's swapping LNB's out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom