Sky Q sound dropping out, new customer

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
On 13 September I returned to Sky with a good deal on Sky Q. Four weeks ago I bought a new tv, Panasonic GZ950. Like many other subscribers, I get sound dropping out intermittently. What I have noticed is that it doesn't happen on 2.0 stereo broadcasts but only on 5.1 surround only on playback of recordings or downloads. It makes no difference whether I connect directly to the tv or via my AV receiver. I phoned Sky yesterday and after a lengthy discussion and carrying out various setup checks I was told that this had been an issue with Samsung tv's in the past but never with Panasonic so my complaint would be forwarded to the appropriate dept. Given the fact that there have been many subscribers complaining about this issue here and on Sky Community I am surprised that Sky continues to send out these set-top boxes. when the issue is still there. I am still within the 14 days cancellation period and my feeling is to cancel the subscription now rather than wait indefinitely for a fix to be carried out, and go back to using my BT box.

What Sky box do you have? I run the same tv and an Arc soundbar. I have experienced a couple of drops but it could be the broadcast. Footie UHD. It’s almost imperceptible. The Atmos Display Flag it brings up is more noticeable.

I'm guessing this is a v3 box? There's a big thread on the Sky Community about this issue, which others are experiencing. The upshot seems to be it's an issue known to Sky but there's no 'silver bullet' fix.

It might be worth posting in the thread on the Sky forums (Sound cutting out) so you're included with everyone else?

Latest version Sky Q 1Tb. However, I just cancelled my subscription within the cooling-off period and will revert to either my BT box or my Manhattan T3-R, both are excellent. If Sky ever fixes that long time issue I may go back.

I'm guessing this is a v3 box? There's a big thread on the Sky Community about this issue, which others are experiencing. The upshot seems to be it's an issue known to Sky but there's no 'silver bullet' fix.

It might be worth posting in the thread on the Sky forums (Sound cutting out) so you're included with everyone else?
It’s not just the V3 box. I had it on my V1 box. As I have said before mine was when I was watching a UHD download. This is just like Groundhog Day this topic is repeating itself but Sky don’t seem to sort it out.

Latest version Sky Q 1Tb. However, I just cancelled my subscription within the cooling-off period and will revert to either my BT box or my Manhattan T3-R, both are excellent. If Sky ever fixes that long time issue I may go back.

I had this problem but with a samsung tv and a 1tb box, the box was changed to a 2tb version and sound was fixed, however that is/was on the v1 box. Audio has gone quieter since the update though, I now find tv is on 14 when it was on 10 volume level.

I got Sky Q after years of +HD on 14th Sept and after a week I’m reverting back. The sound quality seems much worse to me - it just seems aggressive and compressed whether I have it set to normal PCM or Dolby Digital. DD is much quieter as well. There’s also little in the way of surround presence in comparison - mostly centre and front biased even with my processor up-mixer set to Auro 3D. Oh yes and then there are the dropouts.......!

+HD SQ is not as good as Netflix but I am finding Q SQ just awful. It just does my head in.
They’ll have to come back and fit a freesat LNB as they took my old +HD one away but luckily I retained the box as I just had a feeling this might be the case. All style and no substance IMO. Oh well - worth a try I suppose.

On 13 September I returned to Sky with a good deal on Sky Q. Four weeks ago I bought a new tv, Panasonic GZ950. Like many other subscribers, I get sound dropping out intermittently. What I have noticed is that it doesn't happen on 2.0 stereo broadcasts but only on 5.1 surround only on playback of recordings or downloads. It makes no difference whether I connect directly to the tv or via my AV receiver. I phoned Sky yesterday and after a lengthy discussion and carrying out various setup checks I was told that this had been an issue with Samsung tv's in the past but never with Panasonic so my complaint would be forwarded to the appropriate dept. Given the fact that there have been many subscribers complaining about this issue here and on Sky Community I am surprised that Sky continues to send out these set-top boxes. when the issue is still there. I am still within the 14 days cancellation period and my feeling is to cancel the subscription now rather than wait indefinitely for a fix to be carried out, and go back to using my BT box.
I recently got Sky Q and I’m experiencing the same issue. My tv is an LG and my Receiver is a Yamaha.
It’s definitely got to be a SKY issue, as we are all having the same problem with different brands of equipment.
I’m thinking of using an optical lead to see if it makes a difference, but then I think why should I need to do that.
Sky need to address this issue, otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy customers.
Companies don’t want to lose customers particularly at this moment in time.

I am noticing audio dropout (sound glitches/hiccups/stutters, whatever you want to call it) when using the Sky Q apps such as YouTube and NetFlix. They seem to happen consistently every few minutes; frequently enough to be noticeable but not so often as to make either app unusable. This issue does NOT happen with my LG B9 TV's own YouTube and NetFlix apps nor have I noticed it when using the same apps on my Xbox One X, PS4 Pro or Sony UBP-X800 player so the issue seems to be with the Sky Q box.

My Sky Q box is a v3 model (I have only had Q for just under a month now) and set to Normal for HDMI audio and Dolby Digital for the Optical audio. The audio is played through my LG B9 TV as I do not optical for Sky Q.

I noticed that I have to enable the Judder fix in the settings for NetFlix otherwise playback is extremely... ahem, well... juddery. This setting fixes it but it seems to make the audio dropouts more frequent. Not sure what I'd have to do to fix it as it seems to be a design fault of the Sky Q boxes. It is not a big deal as my TV's own apps are superior anyway as both support HDR unlike Sky Q and they have no audio dropout issues. I only mentioned it here because there clearly is some kind of issue with the Sky Q apps and I may have to use them if, for example, my TV's apps stop working for some reason or stop being updated at some point.

It is infuriating that Sky know of this problem and yet they still send out the boxes! I cancelled my subscription and returned the box last Monday using their returns prepaid package, but the box is still in the Royal Mail system somewhere and not delivered to Sky yet. I have proof of postage and if the box hasn't been received at Sky by 7 October I will notify them and they can make a claim against Royal Mail. I am wishing I had never bothered to go back to Sky! It was only because they made me an offer I couldn't refuse - but now wish I had done!

There are no fixes that subscribers can do, it is up to Sky to fix it, but maybe more of you should return the boxes and cancel your subscriptions?

I am happy to use a BTPVR and also a superb Manhattan box, along with a Firestick.

I have still yet to be convinced that Sky are aware of this 'issues', as the majority of users of this box do not suffer from sound dropout, as is always forums are giving an inaccurate impression, if Sky are 'aware, and I have not seen any real evidence of this only what 'someone was told'. Achieving a fix to this would be very difficult to what appears to be either a installation or a random issue that is probably near to impossible to reproduce...

Last edited:
Prepaid postal service means contract of delivery is between PO and Sky.

Tom 2000 is correct. Sky own the box and they initiated the return at their expense. Royal Mail told me that Sky would have to make the claim.

There's plenty of evidence that Sky know about the issue on here and other forums, including Sky's own.

I'm not sure how strong that 'evidence' is. You seem to be assuming that a Sky representative reads the forums and reports to higher authority. Where is the 'evidence' of that?

Apart from experiences reported by other Sky subscribers, a Sky technician told me that they had long been aware of the issue especially with Samsung tv's. That had been fixed but they are now getting reports of the same issue with other brands. Various attempts were made to fix the issue with my box but all failed. If I complain to or seek advice from a representative of any company I expect them to deal with it accordingly unless, as you imply, many of them don't bother! Sky Community subscribers frequently get replies from Sky representatives.

I have had Sky Q (2TB) for a while now and suffer sound dropouts at various times whether live or recorded.

Q goes via Marantz AV7703 to LG E7.

I had the issue no matter which source, (tv or AV), or HDMI input I used. It's one of those things which, after you first notice it, you always notice it and it can spoil your enjoyment of what you are watching. Maybe you could call Sky? It doesn't happen on my other PVR's, BluRay players, or Fire Stick.

One of the Community Managers over at the Sky forums posted the below a week or two ago on the 40-odd page thread on this over there:

I've passed the details from the last couple pages onto the teams who are investigating this but I'd be reticent to set an expectation of a silver bullet fix. We've been looking at this for a while and whilst we've found smaller issues we've yet to come across that one big thing. I hope it's as simple as plugging a v3 into a TV but that's about as vanilla as it gets and we'd expect to see (far) more customers based on the number we have in the field.

We'll continue to fix any issues we can identify and look for the one that fixes it for everyone but our experience thus far has been different things causing the same symptom.

It might not be true of course but on the face of it, I wouldn't expect a fix for this (whatever 'this' is) any time soon.

Think a few people on the Sky community forums have mentioned turning off the inbuilt wifi on the Q has fixed. I've not been able to do that yet as using the wifi to link my mini's but after getting a couple of powerline's to improve broadband wifi / stop minis dropping out i'm nearly ready to test. Just waiting on one more powerline coming this week. I can hopefully report back if it's made a difference.

Iv noticed same issue with our skyq 1tb, thought it was avr to begin with but have same issue with hdmi direct to TV.

Think a few people on the Sky community forums have mentioned turning off the inbuilt wifi on the Q has fixed. I've not been able to do that yet as using the wifi to link my mini's but after getting a couple of powerline's to improve broadband wifi / stop minis dropping out i'm nearly ready to test. Just waiting on one more powerline coming this week. I can hopefully report back if it's made a difference.

I was going to say that I can't turn off the WiFi because I need it for the minis.

I had this problem before and it went away, but it seems to have come back after I had to reset the home network and Q box.

Do people have their 5ghz channel set at 80mhz, or 40mhz? I was never sure what difference this made but I'm of the opinion this was how I cured the drop outs.

I've got a 32BO64 (v2?) 2tb box connected by lan cable, and 2.4ghz wireless switched off (the minis can only connect at 5ghz).

I've been suffering from the Sky Q sound drop outs and have been contributing to the SkyForums thread. Unfortunately, Sky has started removing a significant number of posts.

I've set up a FB group here: Sky Q Issues in order to gather evidence and aim to increase pressure on Sky to sort these issues out.

If anyone has any details of the BBC Watchdog investigation, I'd be keen to hear from you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom