• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky q sound bar dolby atmos

luke105

Novice Member
Hi guys please help!
I have a Dolby atmos soundbar...
I have a sky q box that supports dolby atmos with one hdmi port.
I have a tv that does NOT support atmos. It has an hdmi arc plus 5 other Standard ports.

I really want to hear atmos. Can someone tell how I’d wire up?

thanks in advance.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Plug the Sky Box into the soundbar and the soundbar into the TV.

Although the typical front-speakers-only soundbar isn't going to be able to do much with the extra atmos data (which is how audio is positioned) even if it understands the format.

luke105

Novice Member
Thanks for responding.

yes I am worried that the soundbar won’t do much once atmos is kicking in. I’m in a bad position as mysound bar only has one hdmi port so the way you describe won’t work so I think I’m out of luck. I’ll have to find a soundbar with at least 2 ports. The tv has dolby digital plus so if it’s not that much different I’ll probably give it a miss.
my sound bar is only 2.1 anyway so probably worth getting something better.

looked at the Sonos arc but again...issue with hdmi ports

AndyCob

Prominent Member
You will need to check the manuals carefully but while your TV may not support ATMOS itself it may still be able to forward it by ARC. Internal decoding and forwarding support are not the same thing and you can have one without the other.

If your TV will forward ATMOS audio via ARC you would connect the Sky Q to the TV, connect the sound bar to the ARC supporting HDMI and then configure the TV to not use its speakers but forward the audio input from the Sky Q via ARC to the sound bar.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom