Sky Q/Sky Q Mini Ethernet/Wi-fi Advantages and Disadvantages?

TheReloaded

Novice Member
Hello!

I have a 2TB HDR Sky Q box connected via Ethernet and a Sky Q mini that is connected via Wi-Fi. This setup works perfectly fine but I have a HomePlug adapter where the Sky Q mini is, so I connected the mini box via Ethernet and disabled Wi-fi in the 0-0-1-select secret menu. There seems no difference whatsoever.

I’m now contemplating whether I should keep it over Ethernet or go back to how it was over Wi-fi and so I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of doing so, and which one would be better.

Also, my broadband is from Virgin Media.

Looking forward to the responses!
Thanks!

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
It’s all about stability and avoiding the blue screen. Apart from that the picture etc is just the same.

TheReloaded

Novice Member
It’s all about stability and avoiding the blue screen. Apart from that the picture etc is just the same.
In terms of stability, I think wireless may be better for that. If the router is turned off, I can still watch TV on the mini box since it’s directly connected to the main box instead of being connected through the router with the Ethernet connection. Other than that I guess they are the same.

I guess wireless is better for me, unless anyone can give a reason why to use ethernet.

leasty

Wired with a decent switch or router will be more stable than wireless. No issues with interference from other devices (yours or your neighbours), consistent speed and leaves your wireless capacity for devices than can't use wired.

Why would you want to turn off your router or any other piece of networking kit for that matter? It's designed to be on 24x7 and nothing will be able to access the internet with the main router off.

But if wireless works for you, then I wouldn't bother changing things around. Personally I have my main Q box wired and run my two mini's wireless. Works fine for me. If I start getting wireless issues I'll just move both mini's on to wired, but I'd have to lay a new cable to do one of them.

Do what works for you.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I'm about to change my Q boxes around this week..

Current setup:

Main = Ground Floor Lounge (Ethernet wired)
Mini = 1st Floor Office (SKY Wireless Mesh from the Main)

Currently, the Mini is directly above the Main in the house and connectivity is solid with no picture breakup. (3-4 meter distance through 2 layers of chipboard, underlay and carpet.) So never had a need for one of these SkyQ Boosters...

Soon this config will reverse with a slight config change:

Main = 1st Floor Office (Wireless via a UniFi Ubiquiti Access Point located in the same room on 5Ghz)
Mini = Ground Floor Lounge (SKY Wireless Mesh from the Main

So now both boxes will be utilizing wireless, the Main (now above the Mini) using 5Ghz WiFi to connect to the internet, 1.5 meters away from an Access Point through my isp (Virgin), and the Mini also using the SKY's 5Ghz Mesh from the Main upstairs.

I don't envisage getting any issues changing this config around I hope, but if anyone's got any gotcha's with this positioning change then please let me know?

Thanks

jonathan kay

Novice Member
Hi guys I'm thinking of ethernet for my main sky q 2tb box and WiFi for the mini
Does it work well like this
I have heard reports saying that your main box try to connect to wireless again even though its wired to your router
And turning wifi off
Surely that can't be right
Thanks

Last edited:

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hi guys I'm thinking of ethernet for my main sky q 2tb box and WiFi for the mini
Does it work well like this
I have heard reports saying that your main box try to connect to wireless again even though its wired to your router
And turning wifi off
Surely that can't be right
Thanks
I used to have mine setup this way.

Main - Ethernet
Mini - Wireless

and it worked just fine, no issues whatsoever.

The Main connects to your Wifi using the 2.4Ghz channels while the Mini connects to the Main over the 5Ghz channel. When I connected my Main to Ethernet, if memory serves correct, you should be able to disable the 2.4Ghz channel, thus rendering its ability to try and reconnect to your WiFi and stick with Ethernet as its only source for the www.

I have since changed the location of my boxes around so my main now doesn't have access to Ethernet so my setup is now :-

Main - 2.4Ghz WiFi
Mini - 5Ghz Wireless to Main

and it works just fine also, no issues whatsoever.

jonathan kay

Novice Member
I used to have mine setup this way.

Main - Ethernet
Mini - Wireless

and it worked just fine, no issues whatsoever.

The Main connects to your Wifi using the 2.4Ghz channels while the Mini connects to the Main over the 5Ghz channel. When I connected my Main to Ethernet, if memory serves correct, you should be able to disable the 2.4Ghz channel, thus rendering its ability to try and reconnect to your WiFi and stick with Ethernet as its only source for the www.

I have since changed the location of my boxes around so my main now doesn't have access to Ethernet so my setup is now :-

Main - 2.4Ghz WiFi
Mini - 5Ghz Wireless to Main

and it works just fine also, no issues whatsoever.
If I disable 2.4 ghz will it stop things connecting to my router like my smart plug and Mini security camera which work on 2.4 ghz
Thanks

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
If I disable 2.4 ghz will it stop things connecting to my router like my smart plug and Mini security camera which work on 2.4 ghz
Thanks
The poster means to disable 2.4 on Main Sky Q box. You’re thinking about your router network.

Thorongil

I persisted for some months with a set up which had all boxes wired in through Powerline adaptors (homeplugs) and had nothing but hassle. Given that I don’t have Ethernet wired through my whole house I couldn’t see any other viable way of wiring it in.

in the end I reverted to wireless with a booster in the hall to help the upstairs miniboxes. The stability and performance is much improved.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom