Sky Q, Sky Broadband and WiFi - Help / advice please

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi
Have returned to living with parents and left my 400mb BT internet
They have Sky for everything and broadband speeds hit around 60mb next to router via wifi

I have an lg c1 in my room connected to wifi and a sky q mini box
I’ve noticed that if I leave that on and run speed test on my Apple TV or Xbox I go from around 45mb to around 20mb

Can the sky q mini box be configured to turn itself off the second not being used ?
Also, is there a way of getting a better “signal” without loosing speed as noticed it’s not as stable as would like

Could you run some cables and go Ethernet? That’s a big chunk of bandwidth disappearing. There could be a Sky Booster in the set up. That would chew it.

Could you run some cables and go Ethernet? That’s a big chunk of bandwidth disappearing. There could be a Sky Booster in the set up. That would chew it.

Thanks

Will eventually run a cable but it’s gonna be a long run and will need to wait til after Xmas and decorate at same time

No booster at all. Sky q main box in front room and then then mini in my room

Thanks

Will eventually run a cable but it’s gonna be a long run and will need to wait til after Xmas and decorate at same time

I am quessing distance and WiFi qualities the issue fixable by ethernet cabling.

WiFi analyzer app will show signal strength in your room. 5GHz has higher speeds but gets weaker with distance faster than 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz can get congested, we run our router's 2.4GHz wireless on channel 13.

Cheers.
Will experiment and see what happens

Thanks

Get some Powerline adapters. Don't need to be expensive ones, but they'll vastly improve the speeds you get. I use them with my setup and get 73Mbps on WiFi right beside the Sky Broadband hub downstairs. Upstairs at the back of the house with my laptop connected to a powerline adapter I get the same 73Mbps. On WiFi without powerline I'd get less than half that.

Get some Powerline adapters. Don't need to be expensive ones, but they'll vastly improve the speeds you get. I use them with my setup and get 73Mbps on WiFi right beside the Sky Broadband hub downstairs. Upstairs at the back of the house with my laptop connected to a powerline adapter I get the same 73Mbps. On WiFi without powerline I'd get less than half that.

Tried that but no joy.
Just about work, and I mean just
It’s an old Victorian house and think that’s part of issue

This is what I ordered

Amazon product ASIN B0746HVPMC

Tried that but no joy.
Just about work, and I mean just
It’s an old Victorian house and think that’s part of issue

This is what I ordered

Amazon product ASIN B0746HVPMC
That's a shame. I'm in a Victorian house with ancient wiring too, but it works a treat. All houses are wired differently though so you may just be unlucky.
Did you try turning off WiFi on the receiving powerline adaptor to make sure you were definitely connecting via ethernet?

That's a shame. I'm in a Victorian house with ancient wiring too, but it works a treat. All houses are wired differently though so you may just be unlucky.
Did you try turning off WiFi on the receiving powerline adaptor to make sure you were definitely connecting via ethernet?

Yeah. Had good hour playing with it
Come the warmer weather we will just run a network cable but will be a blooming long length and will have to run outdoors for short length

Yeah. Had good hour playing with it
Come the warmer weather we will just run a network cable but will be a blooming long length and will have to run outdoors for short length
That's a pain. At least ethernet cable is relatively cheap and stable at longer lengths I suppose!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom