Question Sky Q setup in new build property

oaklandraiders

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

New build property finished.
I'm gettin it ready for rental so want to make sure its future proofed uptp a point, but mainly so that tenants and Sky dont start drilling holes in the wall.

All rooms have aerial points, 3 of them have dual Satellite points.
All rooms have Cat5e
All cable run to airing cupboard, none of the cables are labelled, then I think 3 cables run to roof
*****just found out 5 goto roof******
I'm getting 3rd party company to install dish etc, but want to make sure I get it right and they dont rip me off.

Can I get Sky Q and Freeview ?
I understand Sky Q cables cant go through any switch box that Freeview is on ?
It needs to be backwards compatible for Sky +
Is 3 cables not enough ?
Can I only have Sky Q and Freeview or Sky Q and backwards compatible ?
There is no option for more cables
What switching boxes should I be getting.

THanks

John

Attachments

• uc0KKy%ASuabe8Eyfcrvvw.jpg
    uc0KKy%ASuabe8Eyfcrvvw.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 673
  • 6nbK8GRMSJiCPyQ5O%4cVw.jpg
    6nbK8GRMSJiCPyQ5O%4cVw.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
The cabling pictured appears to have cheapo aluminium foil shielding which is really a no no for outside cabling due to very high corrosion rate - should be copper foil shielded cable or you will need to replace in a very few years.

Cabling is internal, it then goes to a roof box for connection to dish, so only small section outside, haven’t seen the section on roof though and I never will !
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg

Just found out 5 cables goto roof

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
But that won't help to get Sky Q to the main room though?

If no more cable can be run to\from the rooms then there are only existing 2 (possibly 3) wires that go to the main room, you would need to change the socket for a double straight F type connectors which would be connected to the Sky Q LNB (Hybrid). You can have one Freeview cable if there are 3 if not you wouldn't have Freeview in the Lounge with Sky Q.

You could use that DDU for the other rooms though fi

I think from another thread it was 15 cables in total so if there are 5 to the roof then a 10 way or more would be best?

I understand Sky Q cables cant go through any switch box that Freeview is on ?

Goggle dSCR and have a read

Cat 5e?

I say easy access trunking routes instead of a focusing on what cables where.. as you can't .. future proof

Just surveyed some apartments in London .. I was told it had a top notch IRS .. 1 SAT connector to each apartment .. 1 ? & defintely just to 1 sat - 28e

If they'd have installed trunking instead it wouldn't have taken much to swap to twin coax &/or higher spec cat cabling etc. Nightmare now as it' all decorated and zero externals policy.

The OP is referring to a Loftbox\conventional IRS rather than a dSCR and originally wanted to keep the costs down.

He could go down that route but for a 4 output you are starting at £350 plus then you still need an aerial DDU

Yes way too expensive, the builder explained it as 3 cables goto lounge plates than diplexor/triplexor behind it, didn’t really understand that bit.

The OP is referring to a Loftbox\conventional IRS rather than a dSCR and originally wanted to keep the costs down.

He could go down that route but for a 4 output you are starting at £350 plus then you still need an aerial DDU
The point is in the quote, a mistaken belief you can't do that & letting him know it can be done, what role that plays in decision making is gathering the correct information .. and then er. . deciding .. who knows what that might be , we've got dwellings it would suite and some it wouldn't

And we’re agreed that Sky Q can’t go thru distribution box above, so if use above LNB how do I get Sky Q and Sky + to lounge.
Is it a case of just changing in cupboard the input, so they have Q, you use Q LNB downlink, if Sky + you use that downlink ?
But these can’t go through a distribution box just a direct feed to lounge, so some kind of mini join box in cupboard ?

I don't see the point of organising for Sky+ now that Q is the standard.
Whether you'd want a Freesat connection is another question.

I don't see the point of organising for Sky+ now that Q is the standard.
Whether you'd want a Freesat connection is another question.

Why? Why would you want to tie yourself & tenants to one company's system & there's plenty of satellite receivers other than freesat that it would stop working.

Odd

The OP is referring to a Loftbox\conventional IRS

I think using the term switch box was confusing that he meant multiswitch as an rf amp doesn't do anything switching and making a reference to sky q not going through it

Sounds like just an rf amp but with a simple diplex, dSCR would travel through that too via a convetter without a multiswitch is another option .. probably still too dear

I'd want freesat option

A hybrid lnb should allow you to swap between regular satellite receivers / Freesat receivers and automatically work if a sky q box is connected provided the 2 Sat cables in the main room are cabled direct to the lnb.

A hybrid lnb should allow you to swap between regular satellite receivers / Freesat receivers and automatically work if a sky q box is connected provided the 2 Sat cables in the main room are cabled direct to the lnb.

Agree but what are the chances of the tenants sky installer getting it right. He is going to opt for his power drill I reckon. :)

So a standard multi switch box.
Hybrid LNB
Sky q LNB to lounge, this not possible directly, so a junction box that connects the cables together in cupboard, then if Q not required you connect the Legacy LNB to this box ?

You won't have to swap the LNB as the hybrid works on Q and 'legacy' Sky and Freesat.

So a standard multi switch box.
Hybrid LNB
Sky q LNB to lounge, this not possible directly, so a junction box that connects the cables together in cupboard, then if Q not required you connect the Legacy LNB to this box ?

Not multiswitch (box) .. you don't need one

Yes get a hybrid lnb = 6 outputs .. 2 to main room (yes via a join is fine)

It will swap between freesat fta satellite receivers or sky q automatically and 3rd coax for freeview

So the hybrid LNB with 6 outputs, I only use 2 of them and it’s able to deliver Q, Legacy and Freesat, it works it out by what receiver it’s plugged into ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom