Sky Q set up

Geoff Doughty

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just had a sky Q1TB installed. At present the hdmi goes from the sky into back of my lg 65 UM7610PLB. I then have earc cable connected to sony str-dn1080 receiver.

My question is would it be better to connect sky directly to receiver and then receiver to TV. Just want best sound and picture options.
Many thanks

The Sony can pass through 4K signals and it would be better to connect the Sky box direct to the AVR. Under the audio/visual settings in the have Dolby Digital Plus selected on the Sky box.

AFAIK since the TV and AVR both have eARC it should make no difference how the $ky box connects, as eARC support HD audio formats?
Or am I wrong??? (I don't have such kit, yet.)

It will be more a matter of convenience/ease of operation of the system for the OP (and other users)?

AFAIK since the TV and AVR both have eARC it should make no difference how the $ky box connects, as eARC support HD audio formats?
Or am I wrong??? (I don't have such kit, yet.)

It will be more a matter of convenience/ease of operation of the system for the OP (and other users)?
If both TV and AV amp has eARC then that is capable of passing HD audio. Streaming services only use a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos audio. This can be passed via standard ARC.

There has been some problems even with eARC reported, so all is not rosey. Going through the AV amp still makes more sense and less leads going to the TV itself. Essentially you are right.

I have just checked with my TV and it has arc but not earc. Would this make a difference as far as dolby atmos etc as I was of the understanding that an arc connection does not provide atmos. I really want to achieve best sound as possible. Thanks again for any input.

I have just checked with my TV and it has arc but not earc. Would this make a difference as far as dolby atmos etc as I was of the understanding that an arc connection does not provide atmos. I really want to achieve best sound as possible. Thanks again for any input.
Not from any streaming services on the TV's apps as standard ARC is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos metadata. Almost all streaming services use Dolby Digital plus. ARC is not capable of HD audio, ie Dolby TrueHD and any associated Atmos metadata on that format but you only find that on blu ray or 4K discs.

You will get Atmos from Sky UHD and Amazon Prime but not Netflix on the Sky platform.

Thanks again gibbsy. I really appreciate your help. So to clarify is my best option still. Sky q into sony str-dn1080 receiver. Sony ubp-x800 4k blu ray into receiver and arc from TV into earc on receiver. So my understanding is to use sky uhd and prime on my sky subscription which will allow atmos and to use Netflix on my Sony ubp-x800 4k blu ray player which has Netflix as an app. Does all the above sound OK.

Thanks again gibbsy. I really appreciate your help. So to clarify is my best option still. Sky q into sony str-dn1080 receiver. Sony ubp-x800 4k blu ray into receiver and arc from TV into earc on receiver. So my understanding is to use sky uhd and prime on my sky subscription which will allow atmos and to use Netflix on my Sony ubp-x800 4k blu ray player which has Netflix as an app. Does all the above sound OK.
Can anyone confirm if above set up is best solution for me. Thank you

Can anyone confirm if above set up is best solution for me. Thank you
Yes, you have the same set up as me, except the tv, there’s very little atmos content on Amazon prime, ok, so 4K blu ray and Sky Q into your AVR hdmi, then one hdmi cable from AVR to your tv hdmi, i only watch apps via my tv as it streams it full content, 4K uhd, dolby visionn, dolby atmos where available, Netflix has the best output of them all in my opinion

Yes, you have the same set up as me, except the tv, there’s very little atmos content on Amazon prime, ok, so 4K blu ray and Sky Q into your AVR hdmi, then one hdmi cable from AVR to your tv hdmi, i only watch apps via my tv as it streams it full content, 4K uhd, dolby visionn, dolby atmos where available, Netflix has the best output of them all in my opinion
Thanks big chopper. Does the hdmi to TV go into the arc input on TV

The Sky box going into the AVR is the most convenient, as it reduces the number of cables going into the TV. As far as video and sound quality are concerned, it makes no difference. Your Blu ray however must go into the AVR in order to decode HD sound codecs, which ARC can't handle.

The only need for ARC is for using the TV apps such as Netflix.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom