Question Sky q router. Shocking...

Reaction score
Since plugging in the sky q router our wifi and internet has been atrocious. (Just sky router as they haven't swapped the tv boxes over yet as they need a special ladder for my house). The old sky router was bearable the q one is driving me mad. There is quite a few devices on wifi. Bought some power line adapters and took the ps3's off the wifi not much better. Separated the 2.4 and 5 networks mildly better. But gaming still laggy on pc wired into router. Can anyone recommend a decent not crazy priced access point with traffic management/qos to run all devices and manage network and use the q as a modem only.

Thanks all

Might not be the router giving laggy gaming experience, might be something upstream which a new router won't "fix."

If you've literally only just changed, I'd leave it a 2-3 weeks whilst the infrastructure "trains" your line and see if it settles out to something usable.

A USA based web site called SmallNetBuilder reviews and tests (fairly objectively) a decent amount of SOHO kit and he tabulates his results by various performance metrics. You could do worse than look there. Just bear in mind, if you are outside the USA, he's US based so there could be some spec. and price differences and he's unlikely to have tested anything from (for example) the big UK ISP's.

Ok buddy. It's been about 3 weeks since new router. Nothing has changed between Me and the Isp other than the actual router. After googling sky q routers seems lot of people have similar issues and use it only as a modem

Are you upgrading to Sky Q? Getting one or two Mini's?

When they installed mine with 2 Mini boxes the wifi signal did not reach my 2nd mini in back bedroom, so the Sky installer put in a free Sky Q Booster and since then I have had no issues. The Mini's act as Wifi hot-spots (seamless to users).

Didn't bother with any minis. The lack of traffic management seems biggest let down

Still, I would moan about it and press the installer for a free Booster - place it half way to where you need signal and see if that helps.

If not, then maybe a high power Wifi router is your best bet.

Haha I will be moaning buddy don't worry. Surprised how bad it is. Only went sky q for the more modern tv box as well.

I went from standard Sky Hub to Sky Q Hub. With the old Sky Hub the connection was fine but the wifi range was quite short and fell off quite quickly - as it fell of then so did the wifi connection speed. I had high hopes for the Sky Q because it is advertised as a big improvement plus the Q Box and the Mini Boxes form hot-spots. Disappointedly I have found little difference - it is any worse but it isn't really any better either - basically the same. Splitting the 2.4 and 5 networks and connecting specifically to one or the other showed very little difference.

So my experience isn't as bad as yours but I'm certainly not impressed with it - doesn't live up to its promises.

Cheers,

Nigel

Really isn't impressive can't even simply block devices from using the router. More I try to do with this router worse it seems.

I use a ubiquiti access point with a sky SR-102 router. Works for me and has lots of functionality to manage devices.

If not, then maybe a high power Wifi router is your best bet.

There's no such thing. Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or close to the permitted max.

If they can make a Wi-Fi transmitted that fits in your phone and runs all day off a battery, they can certainly make one that fits in a box powered off the mains.

As demonstrated by other comments in this thread - it's all much of a muchness. If you want to increase Wi-Fi coverage, you need to install additional Wi-Fi Access Points in the coverage holes and build a "cellular" system. It's not for fun that in big sites we put up hundreds of AP's.

There's no such thing. Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or close to the permitted max.

If they can make a Wi-Fi transmitted that fits in your phone and runs all day off a battery, they can certainly make one that fits in a box powered off the mains.

As demonstrated by other comments in this thread - it's all much of a muchness. If you want to increase Wi-Fi coverage, you need to install additional Wi-Fi Access Points in the coverage holes and build a "cellular" system. It's not for fun that in big sites we put up hundreds of AP's.

I use the Advanced Tomato firmware on an ASUS rt-n66 which allows you to control the power output. I don’t use the WiFi but it’s possible, if likely illegal.
It would not make sense to increase the power output unless you have antennas that can make use of it tbh.

cheers all, its not the strength or reach of the wifi thats the issue is the lack of settings thats killing it for me as with out the any QOS options ect it makes a house with a good number of devices hard to manage, so i need a 2.5/5ghz access point with ethernet that lets me actually manage my network. that isnt going to dent the wallet to much.

Be sure then to de-couple your thinking about requirements: Wi-Fi and Internet traffic shaping are entirely separate "things" (albeit that with the right kit, both can do both.)

As you say, if you want something that allows you to traffic shape your Internet bandwidth, you need a router that can do such - don't get sucked into thinking that traffic shaping over Wi-Fi equals traffic shaping on your ISP link. They are distinct and separate.

cheers all, its not the strength or reach of the wifi thats the issue is the lack of settings thats killing it for me as with out the any QOS options ect it makes a house with a good number of devices hard to manage, so i need a 2.5/5ghz access point with ethernet that lets me actually manage my network. that isnt going to dent the wallet to much.

I agree that Sky have dumbed down the administration functions but I don’t think it ever offered the capabilities you are looking for.

There is a sort of workaround to block/limit access by a device - at the router assign the MAC an IP, then you can control the ports that this IP has. Not sure what would happen if the device owner changed its network settings from DHCP to static and sets a different IP so that it is not the router setting the IP.

Cheers,

Nigel

I noticed a big improvement in speed, reliability and wifi range going to a tp link archer 600 on my sky broadband, and it was cheap. I first tried an archer 900 but suffered dropouts caused by buggy firmware. Had the 600 about a year and it has served me and my 52 connected devices well.
I repaced it last week with a unifi usg, us8 switch, uap ac pro and a cloud key and a huawei hg612 modem but tbh that is overkill for domestic purposes and a lot more expensive than the archer but I like the DPI and it was more so I could properly demo the full unifi system to my customers.
Yes sky router wifi range and speed is a lot worse than many other routers wifi, i suspect due to a poor aerial rather than running more or less tx power.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom