Question Sky Q Router or Sky Fibre Alternatives...

3sgte_power

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All...

am currently with Sky and my current Asus router, which is compatible with Sky Fibre has given up the ghost. It seems to keep dropping my connection. The Openreach engineer has been out twice now and is adamant the line is sold.

I plugged in my shoddy SR102 back in and it seems to be more stable...

So my question is, what current routers are compatible with Sky Fibre? Reading independent reviews online, everyone seems to think the new Sky Q router is pretty solid. Any thoughts on this?

Also, do I need a Sky Q subscription or anything to use this router, as am simply on the basic Sky HD / Fibre Unlimited package with phone.

And finally, I've read a bit more online about getting max speeds with particular routers, but a lot of it depends on which exchange your on. If its a Huawei switch, etc etc. Anyone know any more about this?

Cheers

You won't get a Sky Q Router presumably without taking Sky Q out.

Have you checked the PSU for the router. Most problems I have had are when the PSU has failed or on its way out and can't supply enough juice.

You won't get a Sky Q Router presumably without taking Sky Q out.

Have you checked the PSU for the router. Most problems I have had are when the PSU has failed or on its way out and can't supply enough juice.

Sorry, what i meant was if i was to source the Sky Q router myself from the fleamarket or wherever else, would my connection work? Ie, is the SkyQ router locked down to customers account by Mac address or anything, or would it be PnP?

Ah ok, Sky Q router like Sky Q boxes are supposed to be Sky's equipment and shouldn't be sold second hand. I had to return mine when I finished my Sky Q.

They usually are hardcoded to the customer.

2820, 2830, 2832, 2850, 2860, 2920, 2925, 2952, 2960, 3200, 3220, 3300, 3900

Sky Fibre uses VDSL technology so the list provided is not correct.
29xx, 32xx, 3300, 3900 - These would need an external VDSL modem.
2820,2830,2832 - Do not support VDSL only ADSL/ADSL2+

Sky Fibre uses VDSL technology so the list provided is not correct.
29xx, 32xx, 3300, 3900 - These would need an external VDSL modem.
2820,2830,2832 - Do not support VDSL only ADSL/ADSL2+
You are quite right, I omitted to mention that certain models would require an external DSL modem such as the DrayTek Vigor 120 or 130 , however, the original ISP router would also work as it could be connected to the WAN port of the DrayTek router.

I'm not sure why I listed the 2820, but the 2830 is listed on the DrayTek website as compatible with Sky Fibre Broadband / Sky MER services - Sky MER Setup Guide

A DrayTek Support Portal login will be required to access the above information.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom