Question Sky Q Remote - Boxes in Enclosed Cabinets

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The missus is refurnishing and picking a AV unit. All the shelving is behind wooden doors. I can live with that as I can add more boxes without her noticing but remote controlling is giving me headaches. As i understand it the Touch Remote I got two or so years ago works by Blue Tooth so doors are not a problem. However am I right in thinking the ancillary smaller controller is conventional IR and will not work through doors? I am initially thinking about my main Q Box here but if I swap things around and put a mini in this cabinet does the Touch Remote work with it also by Blue Tooth or is the mini IR only?

The Touch remote can be paired with the mini - I have 2 minis working like that and one is inside a cabinet.

You can have as many Touch remotes as you want but they will only be paired with one box (Q or mini) at a time. The standard remote will work on any box even at the same time as a touch as it just requires line of sight (or an IR blaster)

I have a total of 3 Touch remotes around the house as much prefer not having to point! One even controls the mini box in a separate room from the TV, inside an AV unit.

What’s an IR blaster?

An IR Blaster/Extender is basically a tiny IR receiver on a wire that allows you to position/extend the IR port of your device so that it essentially becomes line of site.
Personally I would go with Bluetooth if I have the choice as you don't have to worry about pointing it.

An IR Blaster/Extender is basically a tiny IR receiver on a wire that allows you to position/extend the IR port of your device so that it essentially becomes line of site.
Personally I would go with Bluetooth if I have the choice as you don't have to worry about pointing it.
Can you just plug one of those in to a Q Box? The missus doesn't like the Touch Remote. Anything for an easy life.

Or you could get a harmony hub but much cheaper to train the Mrs on the Touch remote. I much prefer them. Get her to watch the tutorial on The Sky Q box

No.
If you've got a smartphone you can control your Q box with the Sky app.
The missus uses the phone for calls and buying stuff on inter web in middle of night. Not controlling TVs. Anyway I’ve told her that her remote will not work. It’s now out of my hands.

the newer v2 touch remote isn't really touch any more, you can switch the touch off, and then on the keypad you just use the up/down/left/right buttons.

The bonus is its bluetooth, so no line of site/ir blaster needed. can be had from the auction site for about £20

Actually, there is a v2 'normal' remote that is also bluetooth, so you could get one of these.

Not seen on the sky app where to control your box - is that new? i remember it on the sky HD app

Is this remote Bluetooth?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.46.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.46.04.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 547
Hopefully there's good ventilation in this cabinet....

I have a hole saw standing by.

They are closed in front but quite open behind. Probably better vented than my current glass fronted job.

Like this.

Attachments

• 34410E4D-D335-4B17-B220-929083024DCE.jpeg
    34410E4D-D335-4B17-B220-929083024DCE.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 224
I have my Q in a closed cupboard in the room next door to the TV is supplies.
It’s got plenty of space but no additional ventilation and works fine plus doesn’t run very hot at all.

5A69662A-4B24-4880-927F-5B9EAE849063.jpeg

Now I see your wires. Got a new remote, Bluetooth, non touch, today in the post.

Haha! Yeah but you won't when I close the cupboard.

Yeah I saw the new remote, good solution if you don't like the touch remote.

I don't mind the Touch but I was thinking of the missus.

You don’t want to see the inside of that cabinet.

Attachments

• B5B21A10-5177-4B7F-BE35-218A4B038D60.jpeg
    B5B21A10-5177-4B7F-BE35-218A4B038D60.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 274

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom