Question Sky Q poor Wi_Fi signal

Sparky1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for advice on what product would be best to improve Wi_Fi signal. I have a PS4 using Wi_Fi and download speed is only 6mbps. I’ve temporarily plugged in an Ethernet cable and the speed is 48mbps. Is there anything I could purchase to resolve the issue ? Regards

You need to give a bit more information on your setup.

Where is the router compared to the ps?

Can you wire it in permanently or is the wire ring running across your room etc?

Hi, the router is downstairs in the hallway and the PS4 is upstairs in a bedroom, i have moved it for now into another downstairs room and it has improved signal to 28mbps but would ideally prefer it in bedroom.

The best way to improve wifi to the PS4 is to add a wifi access point into the room where the PS will be used most. The access point would work best with a wired ethernet connection back to your router. However if you were going to run a cable you may as well use it for direct connection to the PS.

If running a cable is not an option then you need to look into either powerline adapters (send signals through your mains wiring via adapter that plug into a 13A socket at either end), but their performance can be variable as you do not know if you have any interference on the electrical cabling or even if the signals will work effectively should your upstairs wiring be on a different breaker than downstairs. You need to take the speeds quoted by powerline manufacturers with a pinch of salt, in real world applications you get a far slower speed for a variety of reasons. However they are usually quick and easy to set up. You can even get versions with a wifi access point built in, giving you both an improved wifi connection and a wired ethernet connection in the same unit. If you buy from a retailer with a no-fuss returns policy then you can at least give them a try and see if they work in your home, as there is no way of knowing how well they will work for you until you try.

Another option is to use a wifi extender or mesh wifi kit. Most extenders work as a relay - in simple terms they listen for wifi traffic, wait for a space on that traffic, then transmit a copy of the data. this effectively drops your overall wifi performance by 50% as wifi can only have one device transmitting at a time. If you can live with this reduction in overall performance to ensure you get improvements in an area that has poor performance without the extender then it could be worth trying. In terms of position, you need to be able to place the extender in an area where it receives a decent “signal” from your router, so this means maybe half way between your router and the PS4.

There are “mesh” systems available that offer a feature called tdi-band operation - here the wireless link uses a separate dedicated radio for the the link between units so does not impact on wifi performance. You would need at least two units - th first unit connects by wired ethernet to your router and the second (or subsequent units) can connect wirelessly. You also normally disable the wifi in your router and use the mesh system only. So this can offer better performance than basic extenders or mesh systems, but are also usually much more exoensive.

With the potential issues and complexities of these solutions you may want to go back to the options for installing a cable so you can use wired ethernet (or use basic powerline adapters to provide a wired ethernet connection at the PS4), as it will be much easier to set up at the expense of finding a cable route you can live with (or using powerline adapters).

When you are connecting to WiFI is it direct to the Hub (Router) or to the Sky Q TV box (using the mesh).

I have always found that my Sky Q 2TB box bleeds about 20Mbps - I can demonstrate this easily by standing with my iPad next to the Sky Q box - if the box is off, the iPad connects to the router and I get 50Mbps but when I switch the Sky Q box on and my iPad connects to the mesh I only get 30Mbps.

Cheers,

Nigel

I ALWAYS had wifi issues connecting to sky. Basically it's all about channels and bandwidth and making sure things don't overlap.

I've attached a inSSIDer screen grab, showing the channels on my wifi, the grey ones are sky. They don't overlap and that's all to do with channels and channel width.

wifi channels.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom