Sky Q poor picture quality - HELP

The OP stated in his original post “Coinsidently, my Netflix picture through TV app is also worse since Sky incorporated it to my "upgrade"

Clearly this is impossible and it was suggested that Sky may have downgraded his Netflix subscription from Premium to SD but this was never answered by the OP.
I have checked with Sky and they confirm I have the premium Netflix service.....in fact I can watch 4k and dolby vision content but doesn't look as sharp and it used to. I don't know if Netflix add extra compression to Sky customers?

Someone asked if I have HDR enabled on the TV.....yes I do.....i have changed the HDMI imput to enhanced which allows Sky to pick up 2160p 10 bit.

I have a new Sky box arriving tomorrow so keeping everything crossed.

Watching 4k HDR stuff on YouTube is astoundingly beautiful so would of thought Dolby Vision content on Netflix on UHD stuff on Sky would look similar but it really isn't anywhere near

I have checked with Sky and they confirm I have the premium Netflix service.....in fact I can watch 4k and dolby vision content but doesn't look as sharp and it used to. I don't know if Netflix add extra compression to Sky customers?

Someone asked if I have HDR enabled on the TV.....yes I do.....i have changed the HDMI imput to enhanced which allows Sky to pick up 2160p 10 bit.

Watching 4k HDR stuff on YouTube is astoundingly beautiful so would of thought Dolby Vision content on Netflix on UHD stuff on Sky would look similar but it really isn't anywhere near
In your original post you stated “Coinsidently, my Netflix picture through TV app is also worse since Sky incorporated it to my "upgrade"
So, did you mean your TV's Netflix app or the Sky Q Netflix app?

If you're watching in Dolby Vision then you must be using the TV app. And Netflix don't somehow deliberately send a lower quality (higher compression) stream to Sky customers - what would be the point of that anyway?

You said earlier that you watched Netflix via the TV app, not the Sky app?

You should always use the TV app as you will get DV and Atmos. Plus there is no way that Sky can "interfere" with the PQ of a TV app!

You said earlier that you watched Netflix via the TV app, not the Sky app?

You should always use the TV app as you will get DV and Atmos. Plus there is no way that Sky can "interfere" with the PQ of a TV app!
Yeah I always use the TV apps and not sky apps.

I know it sounds daft that Netflix deteriorated after switching to sky q......wondered if its a compression thing and that Netflix add extra compression to Sky accounts?

It doesn't sound daft, it is daft! There is no such thing as a "Sky Netflix" account, there is only a Netflix account which Sky happen to manage the billing for. Your Netflix account can be viewed across multiple platforms including TV app, Sky App, Phone app, Laptop app etc, but you only have the one account.

The only platform that Sky can influence compression and PQ is on their own platform - what you get from your TV app is completely unaffected. Hence why there is a degree of disbelief at your claims. No offence. I am sure if you think about it, it makes no more sense that Sky could degrade the output of your Netflix TV app than them being able to degrade the output of your Prime TV app, or the output of your Blu ray player.

I don't take offence.....i know how it looked before upgrading to Q and I know what it looks like now and I'm 100% certain there is a difference in quality resulting in a softer, poorer picture .

If people want to believe me or not is up to them.....im trying to get me head around it and resolve it.

Do you view Sky and Netflix on the same TV picture preset? Is it possible that coincidentally (or even due to fiddling by the Sky installer), your TV settings were changed around the same time as you got Sky Q?

It looks poorer to you because you want it to be. It's the opposite of the placebo 'improvement' effect.

It looks poorer to you because you want it to be. It's the opposite of the placebo 'improvement' effect.
Called the "nocebo" I believe?

Why on earth would I want it to look poorer? I enjoy Sky and the content we receive for what we pay is excellent value for money......i just assumed the move to Sky Q would give the same or better picture quality but it doesn't.

My Mrs normally doesn't even notice if we watch HD or SD but commented straight away after Q installed saying it wasn't as clear.

Had a new box delivered today which hasn't made a difference so I will take up Sky's offer getting another engineer over to swap dish and LMB.

How can having any type of box plugged into an HDMI socket affect the built in Netflix performance. Unplug it and see if there is a difference.
I didn't actually mean that you wanted it to look worse, just that you thought that it was and the nocebo effect makes sure that it is.
If it actually is really worse, there must have been a setting changed when Sky was installed as suggested above.

PS. I've got a tenner that says dish/LNB change will make no difference to your internet supplied Netflix PQ. (or the Sky pic)

Having blathered on about that, there are some people who say that the Sky Q native picture is softer than the older Sky + boxes, but that's nowt to do With Netflix in the TV's app.

Last edited:
Netflix through sky is the same quality as via my roku stick, both excellent highlighting how soft the sky q pq is. I wonder whether a darbee would solve it if they still exist.

How can having any type of box plugged into an HDMI socket affect the built in Netflix performance. Unplug it and see if there is a difference.
PS. I've got a tenner that says dish/LNB change will make no difference to your internet supplied Netflix PQ. (or the Sky pic)
+1

Why on earth would I want it to look poorer? I enjoy Sky and the content we receive for what we pay is excellent value for money......i just assumed the move to Sky Q would give the same or better picture quality but it doesn't.

My Mrs normally doesn't even notice if we watch HD or SD but commented straight away after Q installed saying it wasn't as clear.

Had a new box delivered today which hasn't made a difference so I will take up Sky's offer getting another engineer over to swap dish and LMB.

Changing the dish and lnb won't make a dot of difference I guarantee you that. I find most 'uhd' content on Sky Q pretty poor overall, no better than HD really. As for Netflix, there's no reason it should be any worse as other people have said. Have you checked the bitrate you're getting using the TV app, should be 15.65Mbps on 4k content, you should be able to find it by pressing the info button on your TV remote when streaming something. Hope you get it sorted out but all I will say is don't expect sky uhd content to blow you away, it likely won't

I must be lucky, watched Bone Tomahawk on Amazon prime through Sky Q app and the picture was brilliant.

Hi, on sky q the picture quality is hit and miss on some of the hd channels, some look great and some look poor. Uhd/hdr is the same, as regard to Netflix I have it through my sky subscription and if I watch Netflix thorough my TV app(lg55cx) the picture is stunning, even through the sky it's ok but obviously don't get Dolby vision content.

This was answered in your other near-identical posts.

Worth swapping out the box first before you cancel - I switched from Sky HD to Q a couple of years ago, and while I'm far from impressed with the overall functionality of it, I can't say in all fairness that I noticed any drop in PQ.
I have the same skyQ box set to 2160 10 bit through the lg cx and sky ultimate which I think gives me premium Netflix though nothing shows the hdr logo when starting something that is supposed to be hdr

I get the hdr logo when watching a hdr movie on sky or hdr content on Netflix. Well on sky it actually says HLG HDR whatever that means.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom