Sky Q picture issues Sky say its my Toshiba TV

blu disc

Established Member
Reaction score
I have sky Q 2tb box sky broadband and x2 mini boxes. The picture is always blocking and freezing and colour pixelation. My Mrs contacted them today and they talked through updating the main Q box. But the sky representative has said my Toshiba 75 inch TV is the problem and I need to contact Toshiba support as I should be issued with a dongle. When I got home and she told me this my jaw hit the floor as I can't possibly see how this can be the issue. I have checked my TV software is up to date. The problem never occurs when I download content only when I watch live TV or recorded programmes. Can anyone confirm if this is possibly true as I believe this is a load of tosh. She did say I want an engineers visit and they have agreed. I have the sky Q box running through my Onkyo receiver and also have a PS4 pro which never has any issues. Thanks in advance Danny

A dongle for what?

I suspect he means software on a USB stick to update the TV rather than a dongle.
OP have you tried the Q box direct to the TV bypassing your receiver?

I have and I tried using the HDMI that's known good from the PS4

The TV also updates over the air via WIFI and I've confirmed its up to date.

Sky will always blame your setup and the TV manufacturer will always blame Sky or your amp.
Can we please analyse exactly what your problem is. Your original description of your problem does not make this 100% clear. So let's try to narrow things down with some logical testing.
A. Is the problem with the main box, the minis or both?
B. Does the problem occur with live TV/recordings if you connect the main Sky box direct to the TV by HDMI missing out the amp?

I can't quite understand why they suggest that the TV should need a dongle to do anything with Sky. Load of blx.

But as pretty much a wild stab in the dark based on what you have said, and without further info, as downloaded stuff via the internet, (and presumably to the Sky Box, because you didn't say) being OK but anything off air (either recorded or live) giving problems, I would suspect the dish/cabling/environment as a likely source of the problem.

Problem only occurs when watching live TV or recordings. If its downloaded its fine. I have tried a known good HDMI and connected into different HDMI sockets and directly to TV but still the same. We have a Sky engineer coming out next week I have bought a new cable to connect from wall socket (as I live in a flat and have communal dish) to sky Q box and will install that tomorrow to hopefully rule that out. The picture problems does also occur on mini boxes.

Fault will be with the Dish/LNB or cabling as downloads are via the internet and live is via dish/LNB.

Thanks gents for your help I will renew the cabling from the wall socket to the Q box and failing that I have the sky engineer broke to come out next week.

I have replaced the cable from wall switch to Q box and I have seen an improvement but not perfect the old cable did look a bit shabby when I viewed it up close. Over to Sky now.

Thread tidied and Winston thread banned. @winston2010 if I see any more condescending comments surrounding the use of engineers/installers, you will be banned from posting - period!

I DO NOT CARE whether the man from Sky is described as an engineer, an installer or a technician and your troll comments about this peculiar fetish add nothing other than display a patronising superiority complex.

Last warning.

Have you gone into your SkyQ box settings (main box) and checked the signal strength/quality ?
May be worth checking.

Do you have the same issues with on demand or YouTube content via Q? If not, then that pretty much confirms it's a signal issue.

Signal strength and quality is good not had any issues other than watching live TV or recordings. Sky will be coming on Monday so I'm happy to wait now. Thank you for help everyone much appreciated.

Sky came on Saturday lunchtime and the missus was in, I arrived home to be told its the main Q box that is defective. I was a little surprised but accepted it. New box fitted sky gone and guess what its exactly the same. Sky have said they can do no more as it must be the communal system in the block. I will change the socket at some time this week and not sure where to go after that. I have been such a happy sky customer and I'm out of contract soon, so I might have to look at Virgin media which I really don't want to do.

After a long drawn out negotiation between Sky and my management company, Sky agreed to change the device (not sure what its called) that's situated in a corridor cupboard outside my flat and now everything is ok. Thanks Sky me and my son can really enjoy football in UHD now, oh no perhaps not everything is cancelled.

I suspect he means software on a USB stick to update the TV rather than a dongle.
OP have you tried the Q box direct to the TV bypassing your receiver?
I had this problem when I went to Sky Q and my 43,Toshiba TV.
After contacting a very helpful person at Toshiba , they sent me a memory stick with a software update free.after installing the tv rebooted and I had to set up again the tv.
After that I said oh my god what have I done! To my surprise it fixted it and a year later never had a problem. Thanks Toshiba 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom