Sky Q over Ethernet keeps loosing connection and then going back to Wifi

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
After finally getting the Ethernet in my house sorted, I decided it was time to move SkyQ over from Wifi to Ethernet.

I assumed it would be an easy task but ended up wasting a whole evening.

As soon as I put the main (or Mini) boxes to Ethernet they work, but shortly after they report that they loose connection to the Internet, and then switch back to Wifi.

It actually convinced me that my Ethernet was bad, so I spent much of the time proving that I had no problems.. And finally I ended up joining all of the rooms together.. Putting my NAS on the end using a long cable.. And doing a continous ping and file transfers for hours..

So I am as sure as I can be that my network is good.. But SkyQ keeps loosing connection.

I know that the "switching back to Wifi" is common.. But before I look to fix that, I need to find out why it looses connection to the Internet.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really want to get it working on Ethernet, as I have 2 Boosters randomly placed around the house and its frankly a mess.. So I just want to get it all cabled in

Thanks to anyone if they can help me.

Jon

Just what I was looking for.. I will have a read.. I got so obsessed with the fact that Sky was telling me I had a network issue (when I was 99.9% sure I didn't), I spent more time testing than searching for advice.

This morning I read some forums and learned about the Installer menu, so will have a play later...

Cheers

Jon

I did mention disable WiFi in your other thread.

Been having a play with one of the Minis tonight and the GUI is a joke.

If you turn off the Wifi Radios, they go back on.. If you manage to get them to stay off, the Network status still shows it move back to Wifi... But more concerning is that I have factory reset the box so it has no knowledge of my Wifi, yet it still says its connected to my SSID..

I can only assume that you its getting the network name from the main box which IS still connected via wireless.. So I might have to rip the boosters out, reset everything and start again..

But I am not confident its going to work as for the odd moments that I get it connected by Ethernet, i am still seeing "Connected to the Internet" repeatedly go to an X.. And I KNOW my network is good.

What makes no sense is that is that I put my PS5 from Wifi to Ethernet tonight just to prove that its was possible.. And that took about 5 seconds with no faffing about.. i just turned off Wifi and enabled LAN.. And it just worked first time.. Why have Sky made this so unbelievably convoluted.

The problem I have now is that I don't actually know if its Ethernet or Wifi.. At one point I had it so the Radios were OFF, but it was still showing that it was connected via my SSID.. Yet when I pulled the RJ45 the video froze. So I am 99% sure I was running Ethernet, even though the GUI implied it was Wifi... BUT.. The video was choppy and froze.. So if thats what Ethernet is going to be like, there is no point.

I am starting to hate SkyQ already and I havn't even used it in anger yet..

When I first did this I did a factory reset. It was the only way I could ensure that no boxes including the main box knew the Wi-Fi ssid or password.
Worked a treat but you will lose your recordings as essentially it’s a fresh install.

My mini still displays a SSID that has not existed for years. Also it has been hardwired for years. I don’t fret about it. My Q Main and 3 minis are hardwired and are as stable as any system. Every couple of months I have to pull the plug and reboot.

I think I am finally making progress. My problem was that Sky kept reporting a X against Connected to the Internet, or even Connected to Router.. Even in Wifi mode.

All of the tests I have done showed no issue and I have been blaming my Ethernet wiring as it didn't work when I arrived in the new house and I found that the problem was that the people who installed it had no idea how to crimp an RJ45.. Whilst they got the Pinout right, every single connector was bad.. Either not crimped hard enough, wires missing or too short.

So I had fixed them all.. And ping tested and I was 99% sure my Ethernet was OK but I still had my doubts.

Yesterday I had a problem with my DSL and found I was getting 50% packet loss to various sites.. And whilst it was easy to blame my Ethernet wiring, I kind of proved it wasn't as I was getting the same problem with Wifi and even with a cable I slung up the stairs which I know to be good.

But random problems remained and I couldn't nail it down, as I was not able to ping some address from some devices, but was from other.. And worse still I was also getting packet loss to my router (192.168.1.1), but again only from some devices.

This morning I had another problem and this time it affected my Broadband became unusable.. Sky wouldn't stay connected and I was having random ping reliability..

I then realised that one of the Sky boosters that the installer had fitted was plugged into a switch (I had removed it a few times but must have put it back) and as soon as I disconnected it, everything started working again.

My best guess is that it was swamping the router in some way causing its routing table to get confused and perhaps overloading it with packets..

I have now powered them off and disconnected them.. And everything appears to have settled down.. My internet seems a whole lot more stable and Sky seems to be behaving.

I know they are connected via Ethernet, as if I pull out the RJ45s I loose a picture to the Minis.. And if I turn of Wifi on the router, they keep on trucking... So as you say, the fact that it just shows my SSID has absolutely nothing to do with anything and is just there to confuse you.

Fingers crossed I have cracked it now.. As I have been loosing sleep over this.. Not because of Sky, but because of my network in general....

I didn't like the look of the boosters when I saw them.. And I am not happy that they have caused me such problem for the past week or so!

On my first instal I was given 3 boosters. I had them out within 24 hours as my network speed was floored. MrX asked if he could have them but I was afraid Sky would want them back. They lay in a drawer for years and are now in landfill.

:) Thats where mine are heading.. I am going to ask Sky to collect them or bin them.. They totally broke my network and literally cost me days of testing, as I blamed my router, Switches and Ethernet for the general instability I was having...

On my first instal I was given 3 boosters. I had them out within 24 hours as my network speed was floored. MrX asked if he could have them but I was afraid Sky would want them back. They lay in a drawer for years and are now in landfill.

Yes I remember the early painful days of Sky Q and trying to get everything to play nicely with wifi networks and boosters.

So music better now but really was hoping they would allow more minis on the system (Im maxed out on 4) and UHD on mini's by now. This was discussed in the early launch stages but never materialised.

Looked at Sky Glass and love the idea of those Pucks but I much prefer the downloading Vs streaming plus the TV is pretty bulky/ugly!

I think Glass could be ugly but I haven’t seen one in real life. The Puck looks like Apple TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom