Question Sky Q / Onkyo Receiver / HDR / 10 Bit vs 8 Bit

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keithrj, Aug 16, 2016.

1. keithrj

keithrj
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got the Onkyo S7705 HTIB package (under 1 year old) with AV Reciever HT-R693* and hooked it up to a Sky Q box and LG 4K OLED TV - in the picture options on the SkyQ box when setting 4K output, you get the choice of 8 or 10 bit depending if the TV supports it - the TV does as I've wired it directly via HDMI and tested, however passed through the receiver I can only select 8 bit. This something a firmware update could resolve, or is there some kind of hardware limitation on receiver itself and its outdated already (thought I was future proofed for a year or 2 at least making sure I had HDCP 2.2!).

Can't say any noticeable difference at a glance but not sure if 10 bit / HDR are the same and just not much content of that type yet... so I'll be missing out further down the line?

*HT-R693 a variant of the NR-636 apparently based on some other posts I've read - just in case anyone with that receiver having same problem.

2. Lestat_11

Lestat_11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    did you ever find a answer to this as i have the same receiver and would like to know if it fully supports HDR

3. Radman6567

Radman6567
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lestat , did you manage to resolve issue i have the same issue purchase a lgoled65b6v with an onkyo txrz710 , have had sky back to install another sky q box , still no better also had tested a brand new denon avrx4300 receiver but still will not allow 10 bit ? I have also tried replacement hdmi . Only thing left is the tv . But tv works in 10 bit if connected direct to sky box. Confused.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,641
    HDR requires 10 bit support. The clue is in the name of the standard being used for HDR, this being HDR10. THe TV's panel has to be a 10 bit panel or the TV has to employ video processing that emulates a 10 bit channel if you want to access HDR video encoded content via it. An AV receiver will need at least a revised HDMI version 2.0 chipset or preferably version 2.0a or higher in order to passthrough HDR10 metadata. Employing video processing onboard an AV receiver can prevent the metadata from being passed through it so disengage any additional processing or scaling onboard the receiver.

Note that the Onkyo HT-S7705 is not HDR enabled and did not receive an HDR update:
    Jeremy Rip - Hi will the HT-S7705 get the HDMI HDR update? | Facebook

You cannot passthrough HDR10 metadata via this receiver.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. Radman6567

Radman6567
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the onkyo TXRZ710 is this receiver caplable of passthrough HDR10 metadata.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,641
    Yes. A firmware update was released for this receiver that gave it the ability to convey HDR10 metadata.