yogifire

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had previously seen people being able to sideload the Sky Q apk onto the Fire TV Stick and running it.

Rather than buying the Sky Q mini box at €120, I got the Fire TV stick instead. I was expecting a rather simple apk install and it to work off the bat.

However, ever time I open the app on the stick it just seems to crash and not open further without any error messages.

Has anyone been able to get the SKY Q app to run successfully ?

Even if you get it open, it wont work as it requires a Sky Multiscreen sub as well as user id and password. It also needs to connect to a Sky Q Silver box on first use

It won't work on a firestick...even if you have a silver Q box and a mini.They only connect to mini boxes(maximum of three I believe) firesticks aren't powerful enough for running something like that anyway.,they can even struggle with a decent kodi build.

@dts, is there some alternative than rather than shelling out for an extra mini box

Any other android tv box or raspberry pi that might work ?

The Q app doesn't support HDMI output, so won't work on those.

Does the Q app work on a laptop - with or without HDMI output?

It won't work on a firestick...even if you have a silver Q box and a mini.They only connect to mini boxes(maximum of three I believe) firesticks aren't powerful enough for running something like that anyway.,they can even struggle with a decent kodi build.
Hi the firestick is definitely powerful enough. Proof is the range of low spec phones sky q does work on. Personally I'm not sure the real reason it's unavailable. Xbox one and PS4 should also support sky q in my opinion

Hi the firestick is definitely powerful enough. Proof is the range of low spec phones sky q does work on. Personally I'm not sure the real reason it's unavailable. Xbox one and PS4 should also support sky q in my opinion
The whole idea of sky Q is that you have a main Q box,then add Q mini boxes...to watch on Tablets,and smartphones.having it on Amazon fire sticks,latest gen games consoles and android boxes is not a viable option for sky...gives rise to piracy.sky Q is a neat solution in keeping things simple and helps sky maximize its profits.

The whole idea of sky Q is that you have a main Q box,then add Q mini boxes...to watch on Tablets,and smartphones.having it on Amazon fire sticks,latest gen games consoles and android boxes is not a viable option for sky...gives rise to piracy.sky Q is a neat solution in keeping things simple and helps sky maximize its profits.
I can see piracy on firestick/android device, consoles already have sky go albeit named slightly different so they cant be too concerned with piracy. Just think a typical sky household will have a child with a games console and they should be able to use it to stream from main box, instead of having to buy a mini, not disagreeing with you, just hope Sky Q releases to more devices.

side note there is a way to get it on PC using an Android Emulator.

Smart TV and perhaps FireTV etc apps are supposed to be coming. They have been seen in other countries, although I don't know why they still aren't available.

You can run the Sky Go app on a laptop or computer and connect it by HDMI to a TV, but HDMI output is locked out on tablets.

I eventually found that the easiest solution for me is that you can run the SkyGo app on an Xbox 360/One or PS3/4 if you have one

This discussion is about if Sky Q could be used on a Firestick, not Sky Go.

@dts, is there some alternative than rather than shelling out for an extra mini box

Any other android tv box or raspberry pi that might work ?

@JayCee I think the post asks for an alternative to paying for another Sky Q mini and my post answers that, I hardly think it was off topic.

Another mini is £69 (self install), so not much difference between that and some of the Android boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom