Sky Q not resuming

gforrow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Bear with me on this one please

just had my V1 box replaced due to a hard drive issue, now got the V2.

All connected as previous, but have an issue. Sky Q is connected to the Sat HDMI port on my Sony DN1080 amp. The HDMI out arc port goes to the tv. All works fine, turn on Q, amp and tv turn on, no problems there.

I also have Apple TV connected to HDMI on amp. Turn on Apple box, amp turns over, and all good. Turn off the Apple box, and I can never get Q back, without rebooting Q box. Amp appears to be receiving a signal, displays multi st, but no picture or sound. I press standby on Q box, and the Home Screen comes up momentarily, before the Q box switches off. Turn on Q, nothing.

I don’t believe it’s the amp, and this never happened with the V1 box. Is the only option to request a replacement box?

appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

Gary

Connect the sky Q box directly to the tv,as you won't gain any benefits by having the Q connected to the 1080 av amp...same as your apple 4k tv box.

I will look rewiring this weekend. Done this way as that was what was recommended when I bought the amp. Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos all through the amp, and only a single connection to the tv. Less likely to get lip sync issues, etc. It might fix it, but why is it only a problem with the V2 box and worked fine with a V1?

I will look rewiring this weekend. Done this way as that was what was recommended when I bought the amp. Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos all through the amp, and only a single connection to the tv. Less likely to get lip sync issues, etc. It might fix it, but why is it only a problem with the V2 box and worked fine with a V1?

Almost certainly an HDMI CEC issue. If you don't use any TV apps, switch it all off.

Thanks. I’ll look into that. Generally don’t use apps on the tv, only when the sat signal drops in bad weather, but I can get most off the Apple TV box.

Are you suggesting the settings are on the amp? I’ll dig out the manual again 👍

I'd stick with your current wiring setup - that's how I hook up my kit and it works much better, for lip-sync in particular. It also means the audio gets decoded by the thing that's designed to do precisely that, rather than being passed through a TV which may not cope with certain audio streams. If your amp can pass through the full 10 bit HDR/Dolby Vision video signal then I'd stick with it.
Almost certainly an HDMI CEC issue. If you don't use any TV apps, switch it all off.
I agree with this too 👆 - I had the same issue with the first V2 Sky Q box I had installed & could never get it to sort itself out, even with CEC control off. I got it switched to a V3 which works fine when wired through the amp, but it has a whole other set of problems with audio drop-outs...

Maybe try a different HDMI input on the TV, not the ARC port. If you don't need sound sent back from the TV to the amp then bypass ARC completely. Turn off ARC on the amp menus and see if that makes a difference, so that audio is passing in one direction only, from device to amp to TV.

Thanks. I’ll look into that. Generally don’t use apps on the tv, only when the sat signal drops in bad weather, but I can get most off the Apple TV box.

Are you suggesting the settings are on the amp? I’ll dig out the manual again 👍

Settings on your TV, AVR and Sky box. If you were relying on CEC to switch on your TV and AVR from your Sky remote you would obviously lose that functionality, but I believe you can programme the Sky remote to switch on TV and AVR as an alternative.

Or else get a Harmony.

Settings on your TV, AVR and Sky box. If you were relying on CEC to switch on your TV and AVR from your Sky remote you would obviously lose that functionality, but I believe you can programme the Sky remote to switch on TV and AVR as an alternative.

Or else get a Harmony.
Yes - get a Harmony, they're great.

My guess is that there may be subtle bug in the various HDMI and HDCP handshaking/timing between the TV, the AppleTV Box, the Sky Q box and/or the 1080 AV Receiver which results in the Sky Q box deciding that it doesn't have a secure connection and that the Digital Content Protection system kicks in resulting in a blank (black) screen and no audio.

The telling thing is if that I turn off (i.e. standby, not power off) the Sky Q Box when it's in blank screen and no audio mode, that I sometimes get a brief glimpse (couple of frames, if that) of video and a snippet of audio as the Sky Q Box is going into standby.

Might be worth checking / swaping the HDMI leads. One of the leads may be damaged or have a manufacturing defect which is subtly interferring with some of the HDMI CEC signalling, namely HDCP which will result in a blank (black) screen and no audio even through an HDMI signal is being received

Amazon Basics HDMI leads are usually OK, although its worth trying to use the HDMI lead that is supplied with the Sky Q box if possible.

FYI, I have a similar setup, with all the HDMI peripherals connected via the SONY 1080 AV Receiver which is then connected to the TV and is the only thing directly connected to the TV.
  • SONY 905 LED HD TV (circa 2013) - hoping to upgrade to SONY OLED in November.
  • SONY DN1080 AV Receiver
  • SKY Q 2TB v3 (replaced a faulty v1 Sky Q 2TB about 18 months ago)
  • SONY PlayStation 5 - please don't hate me for gettng lucky with an Amazon pre-order.
  • AppleTV 4K box, that I use for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and Apple Content.
On occasions the Sky Q Box does the blank screen and no audio thing and requires power cycling (turn it off and then back on again) to fix, so you are not alone.

Just looked at harmony remotes. Not cheap and look awful, with that slightly slimmed down profile in the middle, my opinion only. Maybe that’s a future change, as I don’t feel it will improve anything or fix my issue.

In response to MarcoDB, I bought new leads when I got the apple 4K box as the old ones failed the transfer rate. Didn’t pay a fortune, so I am confident in the link from Apple to Amp to TV. V2 box is only 2 weeks old, and using the lead it came with. Tried swapping it out, no change. Maybe time to get on to Sky again.

Which Harmonys did you see?

Just looked at harmony remotes. Not cheap and look awful, with that slightly slimmed down profile in the middle, my opinion only. Maybe that’s a future change, as I don’t feel it will improve anything or fix my issue.

In response to MarcoDB, I bought new leads when I got the apple 4K box as the old ones failed the transfer rate. Didn’t pay a fortune, so I am confident in the link from Apple to Amp to TV. V2 box is only 2 weeks old, and using the lead it came with. Tried swapping it out, no change. Maybe time to get on to Sky again.

Harmony wouldn't solve your HDMI CEC problems, only your settings can do that. What it would do however is allow you to operate all your pieces of kit with one touch of the remote, as well as switch seamlessly between Sky, Apple, Blu ray etc.

With regard to the handshaking issue mentioned, that is an occasional issue, not a permanent one. I get it maybe 10% of time when switching between say TV apps and Sky box - just switching the AVR off and on fixes it.

Which Harmonys did you see?
I looked at the 350 and 665 on the website. I much prefer the rectangular remote, hate the profile look, it stinks of TiVo or virgin box from 10 years ago. I’ll get a better look at them.

Those aren’t current UK models

Those aren’t current UK models
Oh. If I go to the Logitech website and select UK, and search for harmony, they are all that come up, although also not available, lol. Got a link to current models? Ta

Try a search for Elite, 950, or Companion.

Thanks logiciel. Not much availability for, 950 seems discontinued and not available, companion is over 100 notes, and the elite well over 200. This I'll stick with the multitude of remotes I have, not sure I could justify that much on a remote control :)

Thanks logiciel. Not much availability for, 950 seems discontinued and not available, companion is over 100 notes, and the elite well over 200. This I'll stick with the multitude of remotes I have, not sure I could justify that much on a remote control :)
Each to their own. I can't stand the sheer faff of multiple remotes, let alone the clutter. For me, the Harmony is worth every penny, it really increases the enjoyment of your whole system by making it all so much more accessible.

I will shut up now, or I will probably get accused by someone of working for logitech......:rolleyes:

OK, the Companion is listed as much as the others, but they are all expensive!
I agree about how useful universals are, but Harmony’s are rather antique now!

Possibly to close this topic, and may help others.

I turned off HDMI control for the SAT HDMI on the Amp. Means turning Q box on, then TV on. TV turns the Amp on, so not much of a hardship.

I also changed to standard format from enhanced. Since doing this, no issues at all. Turning on Apple box switches amp over, and then simply changing the Amp back to Sat and Q resumes, no problems.

Hope it helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom