Sky Q Normal vs DD Audio

Willis1995

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone with a Sky Q and soundbar, find that the audio on broadcast channels sounds better when the Digital audio output HDMI is set to “Normal”? If I select Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, the audio from the soundbar sounds quieter and more tinny. Whereas if I set it to Normal, the audio sounds louder and clearer.

Thanks for the that , just watching football and find it crap on Atmos on sky . Tried normal and come to life ! I've LGSN11RG soundbar .thankyou.

Hi,
What did you have the Q box set to before? Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus? I don’t know whether it’s got anything to do with how the source audio has been encoded. i.e. if the programme you’re watching is being broadcast in 2/0 stereo, then setting the Q box to “Normal” will make it sound better? Perhaps?

No issues with DD and Dolby Atmos is sublime with our SkyQ/HW-Q900A setup..

Settings for which, the SkyQ or the soundbar?

SkyQ set to dd+, soundbar normally on adaptive and auto eq on, but with stereo, if I can be bothered, set to standard. All speaker levels at default.
SD broadcasts, such as bbc1 on 101, are a tad louder but that's normal.

Last edited:
Bit complicated what you've put .I will look into it , great help thankyou , much appreciated 👍

You've not got the same soundbar as mine so the settings will be different anyway. Plus I don't think that 7.1.4 really compares with the 11.1.4 of my setup for DA.
There is a review here LG SN11RG review: the best Dolby Atmos soundbar package so far that does suggest though your soundbar should be fine so it could just be a configuration issue with either the soundbar or the source..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom