Sky Q Normal vs DD Audio

Willis1995

Novice Member
Does anyone with a Sky Q and soundbar, find that the audio on broadcast channels sounds better when the Digital audio output HDMI is set to “Normal”? If I select Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, the audio from the soundbar sounds quieter and more tinny. Whereas if I set it to Normal, the audio sounds louder and clearer.

Danny1975

Novice Member
Thanks for the that , just watching football and find it crap on Atmos on sky . Tried normal and come to life ! I've LGSN11RG soundbar .thankyou.

Willis1995

Novice Member
Hi,
What did you have the Q box set to before? Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus? I don’t know whether it’s got anything to do with how the source audio has been encoded. i.e. if the programme you’re watching is being broadcast in 2/0 stereo, then setting the Q box to “Normal” will make it sound better? Perhaps?

cuke2u

No issues with DD and Dolby Atmos is sublime with our SkyQ/HW-Q900A setup..

cuke2u

Settings for which, the SkyQ or the soundbar?

cuke2u

SkyQ set to dd+, soundbar normally on adaptive and auto eq on, but with stereo, if I can be bothered, set to standard. All speaker levels at default.
SD broadcasts, such as bbc1 on 101, are a tad louder but that's normal.

Last edited:

cuke2u

You've not got the same soundbar as mine so the settings will be different anyway. Plus I don't think that 7.1.4 really compares with the 11.1.4 of my setup for DA.
There is a review here LG SN11RG review: the best Dolby Atmos soundbar package so far that does suggest though your soundbar should be fine so it could just be a configuration issue with either the soundbar or the source..

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom