Sky Q no magic eye facility?

Surfer01

Established Member
Reaction score
We are in process for upgrading to Sky Q which is supposed to happen at end of week. Currently we have a Sky+HD box and it is enclosed in a wooden cabinet. We have a magic eye connected to the box to change channels etc. However Sky Q does not have an RF outlet.

Is there any way around this as we do not want the Sky box outside the cabinet as basically there is no room for it anywhere close to the TV? Not sure if the signal from the remote would be strong enough to penetrate an oak cabinet.

AIUI $ky Q remote can use wireless bluetooth as well or instead if infrared line of sight - either as default or optionally. That will penetrate most cabinets fine if not a very long way away.

Get your $ky Q installer to set it up and show you.

Infra Red extenders are readily available to do the job if necessary.

AIUI $ky Q remote can use wireless bluetooth as well or instead if infrared line of sight - either as default or optionally. That will penetrate most cabinets fine if not a very long way away.

Get your $ky Q installer to set it up and show you.

Infra Red extenders are readily available to do the job if necessary.
Although I am not sure about infra red extenders hopefully it will nto be necessary if the remote will work using bluetooth.

Q remote is Bluetooth by default (voice control only works in Bluetooth mode), so the only issue might be ventilation - make sure the Q box has good airflow

I've controlled a Sky Q Mini box on a different floor using its paired remote, so the Bluetooth can do at least 10 feet through floor/ceilings. I only realised it even has an IR capability after the installer had programmed one of the box's remotes for my older Samsung TV, which I dragged out so we could use it to set up the Mini box.

Later out of curiosity, because I know the VM remote controls can do this, I tried pushing and holding the Sky Q remote power button. After a second or two it sends the programmed TV's power button IR command. Handy to know if you're too lazy to grab two remotes.

I do still miss the dual persona button mappings of the Sky+ remote, with Samsung TVs you could operate almost the whole TV including menus and shortcuts for input selection etc with the Sky+ remote in TV mode. The Sky Q remote is so crippled by comparison, physically it's an inferior, less ergonomic shape - and don't get me started about the Sky Q UI which is more than a few steps backwards in terms of user functionality... I'll shut up now :laugh:

We decided to cancel Sky Q and stick with Sky+HD. We fitted a HDMI splitter to be able to watch Sky in the bedroom and kitchen. We were told that with Sky Q you cannot split the HDMI signal and instead you need to pay £50 for another box although rental of the boxes stay the same amount.

You can split the hdmi signal with the right hdmi splitter.
If the bluetooth remote radio signal reaches then it can control the Q box from another room.

$ky of course want to up-sell you the mini Q multiroom option.

I can split Sky Q just fine to go to more than one TV upstairs. My splitter supports HDMI 2.0 but I'm only watching in 1080i on that setup.

I am really missing some of the Sky+ UI design, even on the 10 year old slow hardware it is so much quicker to navigate around and quickly get to various things. Sky Q interface has added layers of button presses or navigation, unnecessarily in some cases. Depends what you want out of life, if you're happy with Sky+HD at 1080i and have done things like modded your box to upgrade your HDD, stick with it.

Thanks for the update regarding splitting the signal. I did think it strange. They could not go ahead with the installation anyway as according to H&S they are required to drill a hole in the wall of the next door home to fit a clasp to secure the ladder.
Actually one can reach the the dish standing on a stool as it is mounted on our wall. Unfortunately due to its location they need to access it the dish from the neighbours garden to change the LNB.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom