Sky Q new install

Hem

Finally decided to upgrade to Sky Q following this this years annual merry go round to get a good deal.

My question is would it be possible to leave both multi room cable feeds from the current HD set up connected to the LNB and move the main box if I wanted to have UHD in either room. Reason is currently my room doesn't have a UHD screen but the front room, mainly used by my wife and kids does. Ideally I would like to put the main box in the front room to begin with then move to my room once I finally upgrade the TV which will probably be within the next 12 months.

I'm guessing this isn't going to be possible but hoping someone will be able to confirm.

Also anything else I should be on the lookout for during the install such as refurb boxes, checking it's the latest box etc?

Thanks

bingodisco

It'll probably depend on your installer. What you're asking for makes total sense but some Sky engineers can be a bit jobs-worthy about what they will and won't do. All you can do is explain what you want and when they fit the new LNB to the dish you should ask them to make sure all the cables are connected so you have the option to move the main Q box at a later date.
This page shows the current range of Sky Q boxes and the latest software available:
How to check which Sky box and software version you have | Sky Help
What box you'll end up with is a bit of a lottery, but to be honest, they all have their issues as a quick glance at the Sky Community forums will show. The latest box, the V3, (32B2XX) is arguably the worst as it seems to be the most susceptible to the sound drop-out issue that has been rumbling on for well over a year. There's a thread on AV Forums about it too. It's an absolute pain and worse still, there's no fix for it as yet. Not everyone is affected by it apparently, but if you're unlucky, be prepared. I've been dissuading people from switching to Sky Q because of it for a while now as Sky's attitude towards it has been woeful.
Good luck!

Hem

Thanks, that's really helpful advice. I'll speak with the installer and hopefully he will be able to work something out so I can do this.

Not so good on the Sky Q issues, I've been putting off moving from my 10 year old HD boxes for ages hoping the hardware would be much improved, now I'm almost wondering if I should cancel and stick with what I have currently. I still can't believe it's not possible to display UHD on the mini box.

Hem

Sounds like I need to ask the sky installer to fit a hybrid LNB to connect both of my current cabling runs so I can swap the main Q box between rooms. Can anyone confirm this is correct and what are chances of them doing this or having any knowledge of the requirements?

Dreading the visit of the Sky engineer/technical wizard based on my last couple of experiences. Anything I can do to be pre-prepared for their incompetence can only be a bonus.

bingodisco

I think the greatest likelihood is that the installer will do the absolute basic install - they're usually reluctant to do anything other than the usual fit the LNB, connect the cables, plug in the Q box, test it, pair the remote to your TV and leave.
Might be wise just to get them to do the basics but leave all your other cabling in place, then get an independent installer round to sort it out to your exact needs, for a fee of course!

Hem

From what I understand the hybrid LNB has two ports for Sky Q with a second pair which can be used for a regular Sky feed or freeview - but seemingly not Q? If this is the case it sounds as though I would need to swap the cabling at the LNB if I wanted to move the main box, not a major hassle but would be good to confirm if anyone knows this for certain.

I think I will call Sky and state I have freeview on the second feed and ask to log the need for a hybrid LNB on the installation notes. I still expect a battle when the installer turns up and looks blankly at my request.

cuke2u

According to Sky they have been working on a fix for the audio issues with the v3 skyq box for sometime now but it has been a complex issue but with the next firmware, Q160, they are claiming the issue is resolved. As reported the audio issues do not affect everyone, I am amongst those not, thus the issue has been to discover and research what is exactly has been causing it....

logiciel

From what I understand the hybrid LNB has two ports for Sky Q with a second pair which can be used for a regular Sky feed or freeview
No LNB can be used for Freeview!

rs101

According to Sky they have been working on a fix for the audio issues with the v3 skyq box for sometime now but it has been a complex issue but with the next firmware, Q160, they are claiming the issue is resolved. As reported the audio issues do not affect everyone, I am amongst those not, thus the issue has been to discover and research what is exactly has been causing it....
It seems to be a driver issue with the chipset in the V3 and they've been waiting for the supplier to fix it (Broadcom?). There's a sign-up form on Sky's forum if you want to get a pre-release version to help test.

Hem

Very true. Changing "Freeview" for "Freesat" in my earlier post should alleviate any undue concerns. Not that I use either of those services.

If anyone with knowledge of the hybrid LNB could confirm whether the second pair of connectors is capable of outputting a signal that is compatible with the Sky Q box or if it is only able to be used for Sky HD or Freesat that would be helpful to know. Thanks.

rs101

It depends..
The current hybrids have 2 Q compatible outputs and 2 or 4 'legacy' connections.
Previous version had 6 auto switching connections.

Hem

Thanks! That confirms what I thought and I would need to swap over the cabling at the LNB if I wanted to move the main Sky Q box.

Or I go and buy a new TV for my room and avoid wobbling around on a ladder later on. Decisions decisions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom