Sky Q Networking Homeplug v Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by tom 2000, May 3, 2016.

1. tom 2000

tom 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I thought I would open a conversation here amongst the experts.
    In the absence of a wired network what is the best choice?
    Peer to Peer streaming. One of my minis is in the next room to the Silver. This method works for it but the connection does break up. The other mini is out of range.
    Network Streaming on existing home network. Again works well on one mini but not faultless. The far off mini will sign on to network but will not function I assume due to wifi range.
    Powerline. In the interests of equality I have both minis connected by Netgear 200s. I have not tested the network speed other than testing and getting full Broadband download speed 16Mbps to laptop. Powerline is the most satisfactory so far but seems to benefit from a reboot every couple of days. Whether this is the mini units or homeplugs I do not know.
    There is room for improvement. I wonder would more modern Powerline units be any better?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    You might find some newer powerline devices avail greater throughput, (if you need it,) but much is going to depend on the underlying mains circuit which (of course) was never designed for data networking. Greg Hook at AVF reviews them fairly regularly as does a (USA based) web site called SmallNetBuilder. I don't follow this market much, but ISTR current offerings are of the order of "up to" Gigabit across the mains (though due to protocol overheads, that will manifest as a much slower rate end-to-end.) That said, if what you have is fast enough for your needs, you may prefer to just live with what you have.

Beyond that, the best "improvement" you could make is to get the drill out and install some "proper" cabled network infrastructure. Go on, you know you want to :D

3. tom 2000

tom 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Hmm. A proper cable of some sort from the BT point to a position in the middle of the house and set the wireless router there might solve a lot.