Sky Q multiroom

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dodgydino, Oct 1, 2017.

1. dodgydino

dodgydino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left sky a couple of years ago but recently I've been thinking of going back.
    When I left I had the old HD box but now they have the Sky Q boxes.
    I want to get sky into the bedroom and the easy option is to have multiroom but my problem is I have my tv mounted on the wall and have no where to put a second box.
    On my old setup I ran coaxes through the loft space but I'm presuming with the new Q box that isn't an option.
    I'm not bothered about having to watch what's on the master box in the bedroom so is there a way of getting what I want without the second box.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,785
    The mini "boxes" are very small and take hardly any space - it would have to be a tiny room not to accommodate one.

3. dodgydino

dodgydino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really one for having cables on show and with a box that's the only way to do it....
    There's no shelves or cabinets etc where my tv is mounted.
    I could always put it in the loft if there's a way of controlling it through a magic eye or similar

4. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You could get a Bluetooth remote and use that.

5. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    U could easily mount the mini box on the wall behind the TV. This would hid both a box and hdmi to TV. Only wire then would be power.

6. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    An RF modulator and an HDMI splitter would restore the status quo to how you had it with your old box.
    But that rather removes the whole point of having Q and the picture quality will be no better than your previous setup when watching the Skybox output upstairs i.e. rather poor when compared with a bog standard Sky/Freeview/Freesat SD/HD picture. Also the magic eye will not work, and you will have to sort out an alternative to control the Q box remotely as well.
    How on earth do you know that?
    The size of the Q Mini is HERE

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. dodgydino

dodgydino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure there would be enough room to mount the box to the back of the tv but If the box was mounted there would the remote still work....

TJT1..... If I went the RF modulator route I don't suppose you could point me to a diagram and parts needed to achieve this do you? I know before I used a small box called io-LINK but can't remember the set up.
    I know picture quality won't be so good but it's something I can live with knowing the limitations of not having the second box

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  8. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Yes, I believe so as they are Bluetooth and don't need line of sight. I guess they also have ir as can still turn on TV etc with sky Q remotes.

Fare dos - all depends on how your TV is mounted and how big it is i suppose. Mine is on chimney breast tilted downwards and I could hide about 6 mini boxes behind the top half of the TV if I wanted to they are not that big or thick.