Sky Q MultiRoom questions

Could you help me with a few questions about Multiroom?

1. Can you watch the same recording, at the same time on different boxes? I often have 2 or more TVs on when I am working around the and because I currently split the HDMI I have the same thing on, on every TV and I like it this way.. Any way to do the same with Multiroom?

2. I know there is a limit of how many "screens" you can have. on at once? Does this number include the main box? So assuming we are talking about the 2TB model which I believe allows "3 Screens".. Does this mean you can watch the main box + 3 Minis (so 4 rooms).. Or main box + 2 Minis (3 rooms)?

3. If you hit the limit of the number of screens you have on.. What happens? Do you just get an error and then have to go around and find which box is on and put it in standby? Or is there an option to shutdown one of the boxes remotely?

4. If a Mini isn't able to work wirelesssly and needs to be cabled, is this a dedicated cable back to the mainbox? Do you need any other hardware (i.e some kind of switch)? And can you use an existing LAN/Ethernet network (i.e create a VLAN)?

Thanks in advance

Jon

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Main plus two minis at any one time. Not three minis. It all works best if hardwired Ethernet. Connect them all to your router using Ethernet switches if need be. It should be possible to have your main by WiFi to your router and the minis by Ethernet to your router.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for Wifi, the main box generates its own network and Minis connect.. But when used cabled, it just connects to the home LAN..

Does anyone have an answer to my other questions.

1. Can you watch the same recording, at the same time on different boxes

3. If you hit the limit of the number of screens you have on.. What happens?

rs101

You can watch the same, or different, recordings on all boxes. There isn't a mechanism to exactly sync playback though, so if the TVs are near each other, they'll probably be out of sync.

If all are in use and you try to watch another, you'll get an error.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom