Sky Q Mini Boxes

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thinking of ugrading to Sky Q multiroom with upto 4 mini boxes. Pretty miffed that after 20 years of customer I'm not being offered any sort of deal - they claim that I would have a deal when I first joined but that wasn't true 20 years ago, you paid full wack. I remember Paying £300 for a SkyHD box when they first came out.

Anyway so I look at eBay to try and find some mini boxes cheaper than the £100 that Sky charge.

Surprised to find that not only are most selling close to the new price (like a £10 saving) but a good number are being advertised at and selling at more than what Sky charge for a new one.

Am I missing something, is there something dodgy or secret you can do with these boxes because I can't see why people will pay £120 for a used box when you can get a new one from Sky for £100.

Cheers,

Nigel

Russ_64

The Q boxes are property of Sky and only rented to users, therefore they cannot be purchased legally. Also you would get no support from Sky so could cost you more if the box dies.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
I can't see why people will pay £120 for a used box when you can get a new one from Sky for £100.
Because some people are really silly.:rotfl:

nheather

Distinguished Member
The Q boxes are property of Sky and only rented to users, therefore they cannot be purchased legally. Also you would get no support from Sky so could cost you more if the box dies.

This is another thing putting me off - I don't like tye pricing model on the Sky mini boxes. My converstation with Sky salesman on several occasions has gone like this

Me: so the mini boxes cost £100 each
Sky: no they are free, the £100 is for tge installation and setup
Me: so if I install and do the setup myself there is nothing to pay
Sky: no it is £100
Me: for what, you aren't doing anything
Sky: for letting you use it
Me: are like a rental fee for an indefinite period of use
Sky: no it isn't a rental fee
Me: so are the boxes mine. If I cancel after the contract then I keep the boxes
Sky: no you have to return them to us
Me: so they are rented then, they are the property of Sky from day one
Sky: no they are rented but they are Sky's property
Me: okay so if it develops a fault then Sky will fix it
Sky: only in the first year of warranty, after that it is your responsibility to fix it
Me: what warranty, you said it was never my property, it belongs to you. Are you saying that I would have to pay to repair property that belongs to Sky
Sky: That's correct

It feels like there is a financial loophole being exploited here but I can't figure out what it is.

But it stinks of the old Sky magazine with the £5.00 covere price - that was all about tax (VAT) avoidance.

Cheers,

Nigel

dts

Distinguished Member
How many people will be using sky to watch content? Why don't you just have the silver Q box one mini box and if you have a tablet or ipad you can also use that.

logiciel

You don't have to pay 100 and repairs after 1 year are the same as before - Sky's responsibility.

tmurphy

They ran an offer a few weeks ago to get the mini boxes for £49, maybe tell them you where away during the offer and could they honor the offer price?

logiciel

The charge for a mini starts at £0.00 depending on how patient you are and on the agents that you connect with.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
Indeed, I didn't pay anything we I added my second Mini - just had to be patient and find someone that was willing and able to waive the cost

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom