Question Sky Q Mini Boxes - Price drops?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StLouis80, Nov 28, 2017.

1. StLouis80

StLouis80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yesterday I had Sky Q installed, and I was unaware that to continue to have full multiroom (with Movies, Sport, etc) I would need to buy an additional Mini Box.
    Ive been told that the cost is £99 per additional box, so I have reluctantly said 'No thanks' (for now) as I believe that is full RRP (I've tried every tactic in the book over the phone, to no avail) but I was told that they do 'occasionally' have hardware reductions, but there are none currently.
    I'm trying to decide whether to sit and wait (and see if the cost comes down at all), or bite the bullet and just get one at £99.
    So I just wondered if any of you have ever managed to get one at a reduced price or seen/heard of any historic price drops?

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    It is NOT an RRP - you do NOT purchase the box but merely rent it. The £99 is an activation fee and if you ever cancel your sub then the Boxes are all reclaimed by Sky

3. StLouis80

StLouis80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry yes, I did know that.
    I just meant 'full cost', as thats the highest they ever charge.

4. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    You used to have to pay additional £50 installation cost on top of the £99 so not quite the highest they’ve ever charged.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  5. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Which box did you get? I only paid £20 for the first mini box with the 2TB Q box...

6. StLouis80

StLouis80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I also went for the 2TB Q Box, so thats interesting to hear, thanks.

7. Skull n Bones

Skull n Bones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Price can only be negotiated at same time arranging installation of main box but usually £50 for first and then £99 each additional. Sky are non-flexible on the £99 charge, same as with the Q Multi Screen.

8. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Says 1 free mini box when taking multi screen?

IMG_3294.JPG

9. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Oh hang on, were you an existing customer upgrading to Q from Sky+?

10. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've just signed up for a new deal (returning customer after 2 years) and ordered Sky Q 2TB and Mini Box - no charge for second box for me so not sure why they wanted to charge you £99.

11. Skull n Bones

Skull n Bones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Better deals for a new customer than an existing upgrading to Q, same old story...

12. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    If your upgrading then it’s different!

We’ve been offered £65 for the 2Tb, £50 for the first mini then £99 for the 2nd total is £214

We need the 2 mini boxes as 2 of my kids have existing HD+ boxes in their rooms.

13. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Threaten to cancel and see what they come up with. You should at least be able to get the new customer deal of 1 free mini making it £164.

14. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    My contract is up for renewal in a couple of months and I was hoping to negotiate a deal on a second mini. I paid £40 for mine last year along with £60 for a 2TB Q box.
    If they want £99 I think I’d explore the option of buying one off eBay. They seem to go for roughly the same price, although I’m not sure how people finish up with these boxes to dispose of which are normally rented.

15. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    I’d be wary of doing that, surely they’d recognise that you don’t have the illegally sold Mini on your account?

Personally if they are the same price from Sky as they are on eBay I would much rather have one the official way and be covered properly.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  16. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Thanks, unable to cancel as We’re in the middle of a contract, looking to upgrade as we’ve just got new 4K Sony TV’s.

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    The minis do not have a SIM card and do not communicate directly with Sky, so I don’t think Sky would be able to recognise where the box came from.
    Is it moral to buy one this way? Questionable I suppose. But is it moral to have to pay £99 for something you have to give back?!

18. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    That’s a good point! If the mini’s are literally Slaves to the Server (sales guys words last night) and they no longer charge for the rooms do they actually know how many you have!

19. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Also can someone confirm that then clients (slaves) can watch their own channels even if the Server is recording 4/5/6 channels and I’m watching a playback on the Server?
    The sales guy last night said they can but if they are literally clients with no satellite feed I wonder if he even knows the answer.

20. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    But if an eBay one breaks are you covered for a replacement under warranty or do they keep a record of serial numbers?

I’d rather pay to ‘loan’ and have a guaranteed lifetime warranty...

21. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    The minis connect to the server (main box) for everything. The main box knows how many clients it has and how many are in use, due to the usage limitations of the system (is it max 2 minis in use at any one time?). IP addresses, MAC addresses and serial numbers etc will be logged somewhat. The main box has an internet connection so can easily report this stuff back...

it has already been reported they are tracking much more than ever before with viewing habits, user experience and bug issues. It would be somewhat foolish of them not to track the minis. I've no idea if they do or not, but even they don't now they could easily do so in future.

So at best you'll get a mini from ebay the same price as Sky with no support/warranty, at worse your potentially buying a paperweight.

Whether the pricing structure is moral or not is another issue... one you should think about before 'upgrading' to Q.

22. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    All of this is why I believe they won’t do self installs, the £99 charge is essentially for an ‘engineer’ to log the install so they know exactly how many mini’s you have, serial no’s etc...

23. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Neither does any other Sky box.
    It's a viewing card.
    A SIM card is used for GSM mobile communications.

24. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    Box still has a Serial Number which clearly can be seen when you look at the System Information screen which I would’ve thought would be attached to a viewing card number somewhere.

25. StLouis80

StLouis80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    yes I am, and sadly they admitted that any reduced deals were only available to new customers, its outrageous really.

The Sky engineer that fitted my 2TB was a decent enough bloke, so I asked him about buying a mini box on eBay, and he categorically told me not to and showed me on his system (too technical for me to remember/explain) that they would know, and he basically said any box on eBay is essentially 'stolen' in Sky's eyes, as its their property.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks for that. Here’s me thinking that I could use my Sky box for voice calls!

27. nsewell

nsewell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sky boxes are tracked via either the NDS Serial number or MAC Address.

Boxes are recorded on the engineers iPad when they receive them, the engineer will then issue them to the customer on the iPad when they are installed. A similar process happens when boxes are uplifted from the field.

The Mini box in particular must phone home periodically to authenticate its self and obtain its rights to view.

28. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    OK, I have done a little bit of digging and it is very clear to me that Sky own all of their Q equipment, thus making the buying and selling them somewhat dodgy.
    Yes I would like to acquire a second mini, and with everything considered, legality, warranty, etc..I would have to swallow the bitter pill of paying to lease one direct from Sky. I have owned all my own Sky equipment for the last 15+ years until Q, so I'm not a fan of the idea of leasing products, especially with such a varied price of different units being offered to different customers.

However, I still can't help being intrigued by some of the arguments put forward suggesting that Sky WILL catch you out if using a box not purchased directly from them. I can definitely understand this being more likely with Q Silver boxes as they are the main point of contact with Sky. I'm not convinced 100% that an additional mini box would broadcast it's MAC address to Sky and eventually be blocked. nswell, how do you know about the mini having to phone home periodically? Do you work for Sky? The mini does not have a phone line and does not connect to the dish, so it would have to broadcast over the home mesh network and then through the main silver box. Also, it's my understanding that mini's do not require an engineer visit now, so obviously nothing recorded at the point of installation.
    I'm just curious now.

Looking on eBay earlier it does appear that not all of these boxes are being sold with ill-intent. One guy suggests that he has come to the end of his contract and no longer needs the box. On the surface looks like a classic example of naive bloke who thinks he bought the box outright like the old system. I guess he could be in for a shock when Sky come chasing him for money!

29. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Sky Q doesn’t work like Sky+. It has to be connected to the Internet to work properly meaning that your Mini boxes are indeed connected to a phone line as they talk to the outside world via the main Q box.

This has nothing to do with Silver boxes, all Sky Q systems work this way.

Sky could potentially locate any of their ‘illegally sold’ mini boxes simply by identifying which Q boxes they have been connected to. Not sure what they’d then do about it but they would have grounds to invoice the seller of said box for breach of contract!

Personally I have no idea why anyone would want to own any box that has a 12 month warranty and are prone to failure?!?!?

30. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    OK, I get all that and I definitely won’t be buying a mini from eBay now.
    Regarding buying vs renting, I’ve always bought and maintained my own sky equipment and never had any problems. I even have my own sat finder for dish maintenance. Maybe I’ve been lucky that no hardware has failed on me. I just prefer the idea of owning my own kit. It feels better value for me. However,I realise the Q boxes are relatively new tech though and renting equipment does offer more piece of mind.
    I just hope that I can secure a sensible priced second box when I renegotiate my contract in February.