Sky q & Mini boxes help

chaz206

People, probably has been answered before but i couldnt see a solution for this issue at the mo.

Sky q is connected to virgin router hard wired in the loft

BT mesh system throughout the house with different wifi ssid and pass than virgin router

Mini box 1 and 2 on ground floor are both saying connection to q box is good but not to network

1 BT mesh is next to 1 mini box, can i not go to each q mini and force them to find or see the bt mesh ssid?

Help plz

johnny777

If your main box is hard wired, that is good. You could try setting the Virgin router to a different channel in case of interference, but unlikely. Take it you have reset the mini boxes to try finding the main box from scratch, following the on screen instructions?

Ginn04

Novice Member
If you are experiencing issues it’s more than likely your mini boxes are connecting to different SSID’s from the BT mesh system. If your main Q box is connected to the Virgin router then the Mini box’s need to connect to the same SSID. Your system is operating on 2.4ghz due to not being on Sky BB, you’ll need to hardwire from the virgin router to one of the mini boxes downstairs, then WPS them together to achieve the connection.

chaz206

If i setup the main sky q box to the BT mesh sytem through wifi as the mesh only has 1 ethernet port on the back then will the mini q boxes also need to connect to the BT mesh internet?

But if the mini q connect to the main q than does it really matter if they are connected to the same SSID?

Ginn04

Novice Member
If i setup the main sky q box to the BT mesh sytem through wifi as the mesh only has 1 ethernet port on the back then will the mini q boxes also need to connect to the BT mesh internet?

But if the mini q connect to the main q than does it really matter if they are connected to the same SSID?
The BT Disks your referring to aren’t intended to supply from the Ethernet connection on the rear of the disk, it’s used to hard wire over a longer distance where wifi from disk to disk is problematic. Your system is being supplied with multiple SSID’s which is creating your problem. You need to hardwire your main box to the BT hud and rebuild the mesh from there. If your mini is still out of range the id suggest booking a service call with Sky who will then supply you with a booster if required.
Hope this helps.

chaz206

This is where I'm confused, if I make the q box connect to the bt mesh wirelessly as there is a disc right next to the q than should I reset the mini boxes and make them find the main q after.
There is a disc next to each mini q if that helps
The virgin internet incoming is still broadcasting it's own ssid which nothing is using
This is not my place but a mates, sky did come out and put their own white boosters but the Internet coming out of them was crap so he took them off but even with them on the mini q was still cutting off and on

Ginn04

Novice Member
So your issue isn’t a network problem more of a connectivity one. The mini needs to communicate to the main Q box and if out of range then Sky would firstly try a booster, which they have already. The booster won’t produce a Wifi signal due to your BB being 3rd party (BT) the booster is acting as a bridge between the mini and the main, not to carry network but the information required between main Q & mini. If all attempts have been unsuccessful then the only option is a hardwire (Cat5e) between the Main Q & mini, this will resolve all issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom