Sky Q mini… HDMI or setting?

mike79

I’ve got an issue with a Sky Q Mini box in our kitchen

Moved into a house with an HDMI already in the wall - ideal!

Hooked up the Sky Mini and get the usual booting up screens, right through to the blue “when it goes blank press home button” and after doing this I get no picture (yes, the green light showing on the box). Until I hit the power button and the light goes red, I get a second or so of picture

I’ve tried a new HDMI not in the wall, and yes it works fine. But, given I’m getting picture up to a point, is there a setting on the box that is perhaps causing this? It’s presumably an old HDMI (no detail of version printed on it that I can see.

Obvious answer is a new HDMI but trying to avoid ripping walls to bits to fix this if possible, which is why I ask if it’s a setting or something

Other idea is to cut both ends of the HDMI and have faceplates on the walls, as it may be a broken wire inside, but not sure how to test this theory?!?

mike79

I’ve tried changing setting the resolution on 576/720/1080 using another tv where the box works. Seems it’s the HDMI but still confused as to why picture appears for a second when switching off.

Seems to be the HDMI so time to chase the wall. Once again a simple job of sticking a TV on a wall bracket that’s already there and using an existing HDMI becomes a PITA. Ah well.

teeveedee

What exactly is this "HDMI already in the wall"? An HDMI socket? What is it connected to?
Sky Q miniboxes are temperamental at the best of times so it's best to avoid any other form of connection other than a direct HDMI from minibox to TV.

mike79

What exactly is this "HDMI already in the wall"? An HDMI socket? What is it connected to?
Sky Q miniboxes are temperamental at the best of times so it's best to avoid any other form of connection other than a direct HDMI from minibox to TV.
Previous owners had an HDMI lead plastered into the wall. Both ends are standard HDMI rather than sockets

logiciel

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would imagine that one of the cores associated with edid or hdcp has failed. As soon as the box attempts to pass this information, the signal fails.

Although it is possible to terminate the cable to a screw terminal hdmi, your chances of success are low. Cable lengths have to be exact to get it to work and the wires are thin and fragile.

It sounds like you will need to replace the cable to get this to work reliably.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom