sky Q LNB issue

ngac

Hi all.

I as looking to leave sky and use freesat then realized that my SKY Q LNB would not allow this and wouldnt work with freesat.

I have spoken with sky and they can fit me a hybrid LNB so i can get freesat and Sky Q until i make a decision but my question is this. 2 cables come into the house from my current LNB. How does the hybrid work. Will 4 need to come in so engineer will need to drill another hole or does it use the same 2 cables but use technology to switch the signals?

Thanks

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
If buying a new freesat PVR they will work with the $kyQ wideband lnb perfectly well.

Read the thread about the Arris freesat boxes.

It's also relatively easy to d-i-y swap LNBs if the dish is accessible.

Current $ky hybrid has two wideband outputs and two 'legacy' so yes a new pair of cables plus the required hole would be needed if you want that?

rs101

If this is replacing the Sky box, then you won't need any new holes or cables.

Two options:-
1. Get the new Arris Freesat box and that will work with the Q LNB and record 4 channels at once.
2. When you leave Sky, get the LNB swapped for a normal one (any satellite engineer can do that, or can be done yourself) and use the existing cables to connect to either the new Arris box, a Manhattan Freesat box or a Freesat enabled TV.

Both options work with just 2 cables.

ngac

I have a tv with freesat option on.

I think I’ll replace the lMb myself or get a engineer to do rather than having 2 extra cables and another hole in wall!

rs101

I have a tv with freesat option on.

I think I’ll replace the lMb myself or get a engineer to do rather than having 2 extra cables and another hole in wall!
You don't need any extra cables at all!

If you get a hybrid installed, you'd just need to move the existing cables on the LNB over to the non-Q ports. So no new cables needed.

ngac

ah ok so get Sky to fit th hybrid (saying they will do FOC) But put no new cables in place then when I get rid of Sky q just climb up ladder and move the two cables to the other cable slots?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
ah ok so get Sky to fit th hybrid (saying they will do FOC) But put no new cables in place then when I get rid of Sky q just climb up ladder and move the two cables to the other cable slots?

If Sky fit a 6 output hybrid. There is no need to change any connections. LNB will output normal ku band if you connect two ku band tuners to any two of the 6 connectors.

Last edited:

ngac

Sorry I’m even more confused now!
So Sky say they will fit a hybrid LNB FOC. So I can’t cancel sky q until after this is fit. I’d like to use sky q right up until the contract is up then switch to freesat.

I currently have two cables coming into my sky q box. I do not want another hole drilling as they blew out a brick last time.
Are you saying if I get the hybrid LNB fit then I will be able to use the same cables in both freesat tv and sky q and it will work? So it’s a no brainer to get sky to do?

I struggle to get up a ladder so if I have to call a satellite guy out anyway to switch the cables IF this is needed then may as well pay them to switch LNB As I’m guessing it will be same cost

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Sorry I’m even more confused now!
So Sky say they will fit a hybrid LNB FOC. So I can’t cancel sky q until after this is fit. I’d like to use sky q right up until the contract is up then switch to freesat.

I currently have two cables coming into my sky q box. I do not want another hole drilling as they blew out a brick last time.
Are you saying if I get the hybrid LNB fit then I will be able to use the same cables in both freesat tv and sky q and it will work? So it’s a no brainer to get sky to do?

I struggle to get up a ladder so if I have to call a satellite guy out anyway to switch the cables IF this is needed then may as well pay them to switch LNB As I’m guessing it will be same cost
Yes you can use the same pair of cables to a sky-Q box and after out of contract connect a twin tuner Freesat+ box to same connections. The hybrid LNB is smart enough to know what the remote tuners require. This type though will not work correctly with the new Arris box.

There are no labels on the 6 outputs. Any two can be used for either box.

rs101

Yes you can use the same pair of cables to a sky-Q box and after out of contract connect a twin tuner Freesat+ box to same connections. The hybrid LNB is smart enough to know what the remote tuners require. This type though will not work correctly with the new Arris box.

There are no labels on the 6 outputs. Any two can be used for either box.
That's no longer the case. Sky changed the hybrid a while ago. There are now 2 versions - a 4 port and a 6 port and none of the ports auto-switch. The hybrids have 2 wideband and 2 or 4 traditional ports.