Question Sky Q LNB connections

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Clem_Dye, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I did a quick scan of the forum before posting) but what exactly is the deal with the LNB requirements of a Sky Q box? I ask, as I'm vaguely considering subscribing -- I have Freesat at present. I know that if you already have Freesat and want to carry-on using it, you need to ask Sky for a hybrid LNB. In my case, I have DTV/DSAT distribution system, and the dish doesn't use a standard LNB. I'd need something that would offer hybrid and LV, HV, LH and HH outputs, and I can't see Sky wanting to touch that. Can a Sky Q box connect to a standard DSAT system, and if so, what are the limitations?

TIA, Cheers, Clem.

2. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    Afraid not Sky Q use the wideband LNB which is not compatible with any other system.

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Yes, I thought that that was the case. TVM.

Clem

4. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    You could of course use a dSCR multi switch and appropriate LNB to replace your current head end switch. It all comes down to cost in the end

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Or have a second dish, but ask for a Hybrid anyway.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Yes, a second dish with or without hybrid is the answer.

7. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Yes, I need to talk to my installer about this. Everything is fine and dandy for getting DSat and Dtv around the house as-is, so I'll need to get some advice as to what to do for the best so that I can have Sky Q and Freesat with a minimum of disruption. Maybe something for the warmer weather .....

Thanks to everyone who's replied thus far.

Clem

8. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Assuming you have a multi switch with Quattro LNB it already has access to the full band that Sky Q requires and you don't need to worry about the LNB. You can add dSCR (such as Triax TMDS42C) to support Sky Q if you wish to retain using the multi switch system.

9. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Thanks. That's an idea. My system does use a quattro LNB.

Clem

10. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, I'm in this situation, I have an existing MultiSwitch, with a dish/LNB that's integrated into the New Build house we bought. I don't really want another dish, as the current one is on the opposite side of the house to the living room and the cabling is all hidden/integrated through the loft/walls/ceiling with 4 room distribution. I've have been looking at the Triax dSCR device, but I don't understand how it connects to the system - i assume between the LNB and the existing Multiswitch?? Can someone elaborate and explain? Also, how can you tell if you have a Quad or Quattro LNB? If it is a Quad one, will Sky fitter swap it for a Quattro?

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    If it works it shouldn't matter if your multiswitch is using a Quad or Quattro lnb. The outputs will be the same. Doubt the average Sky-fitter will even know what a quattro is.

http://www.triax.uk/images/Brochures/dSCR_VISUAL.PDF

12. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, thanks for that link, gives a slightly better explanation on wiring and as you say it doesn't matter on LNB as both will work.

I'm trying to change (or add to) a EMP-Centauri MS5/8PIU-4 5in/8out multiswitch which currently feeds 4 rooms (LivRm, Kit, Bed1, Bed2) and keep the FreeView signal at each, plus upgrade to SkyQ signal into the LivRm. SkyQ I can go wired/wireless mini box and re-using the current co-ax wiring and multiplexed faceplates for freeview into the TV's.

If I read the diagrams on the link you've provided, the Triax TMDS42C can only deliver signals to 2 rooms - with Sky and Terrestrial on each. Maybe three rooms if I went Skyq/Freeview on one and the other 2 were Freeview single cable only. Is that correct?

It doesn't look like it would add anything to wire the Triax from the EMP switch, as it looks like you need to use 1 feed each from 4 output pairs according to the diagram. As i can only feed 4 rooms now, I wouldn't gain anything that would allow me to retain the EMP unit to use for the 4th room. Again can anyone confirm my understanding?

I'd prefer to swap out the switches as it would make the install much neater.

13. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Jaffatubes, did you get a resolution for your problem? I've got a slightly similar situation so I'd be interested to hear if you resolved it? I've also got an EMP Centauri multiswitch and have bought the Triax TMDS 42C add on dSCR multiswitch, in order to enable Sky Q.

14. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi yes, all sorted. I wired the Triax module in line with EMP unit creating some link cables, exactly as the docs from Triax show. Tested it on the SKY HD box by putting it into dscr mode, all worked and actually boosted the signal slightly. When the Sky installer came, he was sceptical but tried it in single cable dscr mode and it all worked fine. Jobs a good’un!

15. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds good. I am also going to be doing exactly the same, as illustrated in the Triax PDF. Did you copy the same order as in the PDF? i.e. Dish ---> EMP Centauri multiswitch ---> Triax TMDS 42C dSCR mutiswitch ---> wall plate ---> Sky Q box?

Do you have a quadplex wall plate or straight coaxial wires into the Sky Q box?

Thanks