Sky Q list of failings v sky plus

Press pause is on any live programme.
If the programme then ends, while it’s paused, it refuses to let you record the programme. It’s in the hard drive, it’s got all the available programme, but it won’t allow you to put in the planner, or recordings. You can record the following programme, the one that’s live, but not the one you paused

it will allow you to scroll ( right left arrow) between the two programmes , it just refuses to save the one you want.

had this three times this week. Not sure if it’s a problem with 14 update or what

That's just how series links for F1 have worked for years on both Sky+HD and Q. Nothing to do with the Q firmware.
Nothing is to do with Q according to you 😆

and it always puts the newest recording at the bottom of the list. So you scroll through the list of tiles looking for the prog you want and it doesn’t appear.
The first prog in the series link does, that you’ve seen already. But not the latest one. The one your actually most likely to be looking for.

Nothing is to do with Q according to you 😆

and it always puts the newest recording at the bottom of the list. So you scroll through the list of tiles looking for the prog you want and it doesn’t appear.
The first prog in the series link does, that you’ve seen already. But not the latest one. The one your actually most likely to be looking for.

Might as well blame Q for Eurosport having wrong programme data - it's about as accurate a claim. If you were to check the F1 series links on the Sky website tv guide, they'd be the same as on Q and Sky+HD.

Seems logical to me that the oldest episode in a series displayed first, as that's the one most people would want to watch first. Although I guess the depends on whether you delete recordings when you've watched them or keep them forever. Maybe they need another horizontal option of 'Unwatched epsiodes' ?

That’s another thing that winds me up. Manage.
It lists the recordings but won’t let you play them from there.
now if that’s skys idea of managing then there no surprise Q is such a disappointment

it’s easy to delete from manage, and find stuff, but that’s about as useful as it gets

Last edited:
Might as well blame Q for Eurosport having wrong programme data - it's about as accurate a claim. If you were to check the F1 series links on the Sky website tv guide, they'd be the same as on Q and Sky+HD.

Seems logical to me that the oldest episode in a series displayed first, as that's the one most people would want to watch first. Although I guess the depends on whether you delete recordings when you've watched them or keep them forever. Maybe they need another horizontal option of 'Unwatched epsiodes' ?
Or far more “realistically” if you want to play in that context, a rail for series links set but as your enthusiastic about the programme you actually watched the live broadcast and the recording is just in case the live show was missed. THEN if you do miss it, then all these recordings will be in your way.
Let’s call it, I’m using sky q wrong according to rs101 rail 👍😆

and yes Eurosport are rubbish in that regard

although their uhd seems pretty good comparatively 👍🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
While your on, can you tell me why Jack and the bean stalk starts on season 2? 😉

I don’t recall sky plus recording each round under the same heading though

q will record multiple rounds with the same tile, say monza. And your looking for Abu Dhabi
....well why would I look under Monza? Which I’ve seen. But hazy on this though, although that won’t stop the fan boys diving in 🙄
I’d check but you’ll be pleased to know I’ve deleted them 🙂 ...😆

Touch remote ... it needs an app, it just does

I’ve got so tired of the multiple button presses required to navigate around the software, I’ve persevered with this touch pad and turned the touch setting back on.

it does make a lot more sense to use the touch pad it scrolls much easier. The listings wiz along very nicely. 👍

I suppose the problems arise when needing to press instead of touch, the same area. That aspect doesn’t seem to work giving spurious inputs . So people turn the setting off. Then sky did away with supplying the remote as a result.

I can’t help think an app on a smart phone with the interface layed on a screen actually designed for touch would help massively with navigation. Then the touch areas can be separated from the press button and Q might actually stand a chance of working as it would appear to have been designed.

I don’t recall sky plus recording each round under the same heading though

q will record multiple rounds with the same tile, say monza. And your looking for Abu Dhabi
....well why would I look under Monza? Which I’ve seen. But hazy on this though, although that won’t stop the fan boys diving in 🙄
I’d check but you’ll be pleased to know I’ve deleted them 🙂 ...😆
Yep, it uses the title from the oldest recording as the "series" title. Same on both box types and quite annoying...

Touch remote ... it needs an app, it just does

I’ve got so tired of the multiple button presses required to navigate around the software, I’ve persevered with this touch pad and turned the touch setting back on.

it does make a lot more sense to use the touch pad it scrolls much easier. The listings wiz along very nicely. 👍

I suppose the problems arise when needing to press instead of touch, the same area. That aspect doesn’t seem to work giving spurious inputs . So people turn the setting off. Then sky did away with supplying the remote as a result.

I can’t help think an app on a smart phone with the interface layed on a screen actually designed for touch would help massively with navigation. Then the touch areas can be separated from the press button and Q might actually stand a chance of working as it would appear to have been designed.

An app isn't much better - my Sony TV (Android) has an app with a touch input area and i find it annoying. Same when I used to use Kodi as a MythTV frontend and the related app.

I find the V2 touch easy to use, but the V1 not so great, especially in the Prime app when trying to rewind. Unfortunately only the V1 will control the kitchen TV, so I can't replace it... There was talk of firmware updates for remotes (I once had an RCU app appear on my box for a few days) but that doesn't seem to have happened.

An app isn't much better - my Sony TV (Android) has an app with a touch input area and i find it annoying. Same when I used to use Kodi as a MythTV frontend and the related app.

I find the V2 touch easy to use, but the V1 not so great, especially in the Prime app when trying to rewind. Unfortunately only the V1 will control the kitchen TV, so I can't replace it... There was talk of firmware updates for remotes (I once had an RCU app appear on my box for a few days) but that doesn't seem to have happened.
Interestingly my Samsung has an app called smart things, and that is .... quite annoying as well actually 😆 BUT.... that’s because it has to be a slave to all things.

sky on the other hand can be far more specific to the one device it has to control, the Q box

Ans surely you can see that an app would be less annoying than the choice of either a gazillions button presses or a Gaz onion spurious and touch inputs but never being right in either mode
It’s bloody typical sky of late, ill thought out knee jurk how hard can it be implemtation dumped on customers in a that will do attitude. We’ve spent enough time fiddling around with our bad idea, go and get some new customers, we don’t care about the existing ones !

And by the way, does your TV have a need for a touch pad to swipe etc AND button pushes on the same area? No I didn’t think so. Even Fony wouldn’t be that daft...In which case yours is in utterly irrelevant post

Last edited:
Gaz onion being 1 louder than a gazillion, you understand 🙂

Interestingly my Samsung has an app called smart things, and that is .... quite annoying as well actually 😆 BUT.... that’s because it has to be a slave to all things.

sky on the other hand can be far more specific to the one device it has to control, the Q box

Ans surely you can see that an app would be less annoying than the choice of either a gazillions button presses or a Gaz onion spurious and touch inputs but never being right in either mode
It’s bloody typical sky of late, ill thought out knee jurk how hard can it be implemtation dumped on customers in a that will do attitude. We’ve spent enough time fiddling around with our bad idea, go and get some new customers, we don’t care about the existing ones !

And by the way, does your TV have a need for a touch pad to swipe etc AND button pushes on the same area? No I didn’t think so. Even Fony wouldn’t be that daft...In which case yours is in utterly irrelevant post

It's the standard Android TV remote app - Android TV Remote Control - Apps on Google Play where you can toggle between a touchpad or a dpad. Not a particularly intuitive interface.

I tend to use voice control a lot to navigate the Q box - certainly the quickest way to launch apps and find content.
Do wish they would let us customise the apps button on the remote though - I never use the apps on that list.

It's the standard Android TV remote app - Android TV Remote Control - Apps on Google Play where you can toggle between a touchpad or a dpad. Not a particularly intuitive interface.

I tend to use voice control a lot to navigate the Q box - certainly the quickest way to launch apps and find content.
Do wish they would let us customise the apps button on the remote though - I never use the apps on that list.
Voice search is quite good as I’ve said before, somewhere , however you also need to know what you want to find. If your browsing it’s click click click.....

If you’ve got a spare miniute or two try the touch pad again. Suffer the numerous bad inputs and if your careful you can see how easy the touch works to move the listings etc. They really do spin along nicely.

maybe it’s a case of practice .... maybe 🤔🤦🏻‍♂️

Talking of voice search

have you tried asking Q “where is Santa?” 🤔
🙄😆

Raised a complaint with sky re several common issues we all have with audio especially

pointless bloody idea but I don’t see why I should suffer another 18 months of garbled audio and drop outs without some come back

but save yourself the bother, all they do is cmarrangevto call you back, pass security, then leave you on hold for almost 40 mins of an hour in the call, pretend they are confused, put you back on hold then cut the call. This process has been repeated 3 times except they are now too busy to put you through to the technical line that Ian a technical line at all, she said

pure genius.

did I see the head of sky q got some award the other day. ?

I also have dropouts and the infuriating video delay. I have had sky Q for over a year now and never got to the bottom of it. I was never sure if it was sky, my yamaha musiccast surround sound setup or something else entirely. I still don’t know! Someone suggested recently trying a product called HDFury arcana but it retails at £175. If I knew that it was definitely going to work I’d go for it but it's a bit pricey for something which may make no difference. I’ve been with sky for about 15 years so obviously like their product but I’m thinking that it might be time to consider leaving. I really wish this could be fixed!

I did a very very stupid thing a couple of weeks ago. I raised a complaint with sky. Complete and utter waste of time and effort except they agreed to change the box. But given covid that ain’t happening any time soon.
however some answers where forthcoming along the way. Well, non answers

lip sync will never change. The software will not be altered. The delay will not change. They can’t change it and if they could they won’t because ... it’s the best average for all delivery systems. So presumably the delay is different for internet customers ? Or it’s the best across all channels or whatever ?

either way they ain’t doing a thing about it ever.

being fair Dolby audio has no way of registering audio to video. It’s not in the data there’s no way to do it, so your kind of chasing your arse anyway. But you would think once you’ve selected your channel setting the delay would be possible.

but nope not happening. This from a sky call centre member who promised she would pass questions up and call back with an answer. Which she did.

she also promised I would not like the answers. And she was absolutely correct.
lip sync will never change
Uhd picture quality will never change
Slow mo will not be added it’s not used by enough customers. (Fgs)
Channel lists and tv remote control set up settings will not be shared with manufacturers on new(er?) sky boxes

blah

in other words they ain’t doing a damn thing to help anyone but themselves and that’s that.

no news there. Wasters

Don’t believe everything one agent tells you.:D

Don’t believe everything one agent tells you.:D
Why? The reteric is the same and they repeat it word for word. Well I’ve never seen/herd/had that problem. Denial. Wtf has your experience got to do with it? It’s my experience as a customer that’s the topic at hand. I didn’t ring up to hear that I have imagined my problem because the agent hasn’t herd it. Or is saying what ever they like. And we’re not changing it.
Why would they say it will not be fixed when actually sky are working on the fault or whatever.

I think the key is not to believe the numerous “I’m not not sky staff” staff rolling around the web spouting the same guff the sky staff do on the phone. One in the same. It’s the same yack. Nothing wrong with it. I’ve never seen that before. Stop ganging up on sky. And if your on the sky forum your banned.

Who said anything about experience?:D

After over 2 years with no audio drop out problems it has suddenly come back and with a vengeance. It isn’t even mildly irritating because it is occasional, can be be 2-3 times in a 30 minute programme.

I did a very very stupid thing a couple of weeks ago. I raised a complaint with sky. Complete and utter waste of time and effort except they agreed to change the box. But given covid that ain’t happening any time soon.
however some answers where forthcoming along the way. Well, non answers

lip sync will never change. The software will not be altered. The delay will not change. They can’t change it and if they could they won’t because ... it’s the best average for all delivery systems. So presumably the delay is different for internet customers ? Or it’s the best across all channels or whatever ?

either way they ain’t doing a thing about it ever.

being fair Dolby audio has no way of registering audio to video. It’s not in the data there’s no way to do it, so your kind of chasing your arse anyway. But you would think once you’ve selected your channel setting the delay would be possible.

but nope not happening. This from a sky call centre member who promised she would pass questions up and call back with an answer. Which she did.

she also promised I would not like the answers. And she was absolutely correct.
lip sync will never change
Uhd picture quality will never change
Slow mo will not be added it’s not used by enough customers. (Fgs)
Channel lists and tv remote control set up settings will not be shared with manufacturers on new(er?) sky boxes

blah

in other words they ain’t doing a damn thing to help anyone but themselves and that’s that.

no news there. Wasters
I can believe the statement on lip sync issues. If there is no way to tie Dolby Digital to the video and each channel will take slightly different video processing time, depending on amount of compression, whether it is SD, HD, UHD etc. So a mid range value is an approach. But it wouldn’t be rocket science to say it is an SD channel being output in UD so use one delay, an HD channel use another one, and 4K yet another one,
But there is a variability to it that needs to be addressed. Couple of times in the last week I have watched shows /recordings where the error has been so big as to make it unwatchable. Downloading the show has then been acceptable.
But there is an oddity that different people experience the lip sync in varying ways. Most people seem to complain the video is early and they need to advance the audio which is impossible. My situation is actually the other way round. Most of the time I struggle to get enough audio delay in my Sonos system to get the lip sync OK.
And to be fair if I watch the likes of Amazon Prime via the app actually in my TV the lip sync issues are far worse. Having given up watching some shows on there when lip sync has been bad. Not just out but varying with time, and yes I had a decent broadband connection with fast data rate and low ping response times. For some reason The Grand Tour and Premier League football have been the worst.
But they should be doing things to correct other issues like audio dropout , HDCP failures etc. They should be fixable even if only in a next generation box if they are chipset or firmware issues.

Last edited:
OK. if anyone takes wants to take them on about no tools to use to sync audio and video together I think Sky could well be taking BS.
I haven’t found anything that recent but in material from 2006/7 there are various references in standards reports on need to maintain audio sync. And technical papers, admittedly based on MPEG2 and AC-3 Dolby Digital outlining the encoders use of embedding system clock and presentation time stamps in audio and video frames to allow decoded signal to restore time sync. Saying the decoder (STB) should use these to realign audio and video to present it within +/-15msec.
I have a question in with an ex colleague from SMPTE standards committees to double check what the latest techniques and standards for this are. It is over 5 years since I was involved in such stuff.
so no Dolby Digital itself doesn’t have messages in it to maintain sync but the transport stream does,

Anyone get this on their mini box constantly now ? Been like it for 2 days !
image.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom