Sky Q list of failings v sky plus

Maybe your cheap HDMI cables are the source of a lot of your Sky issues. Or is that "unfathomable" ? ;)

Not at all, except they are the ones sky provide. 😆 So obviously it couldnt possibly be anything SKY have provided causing a problem could it. Noooooo couldn’t possibly be that. NEVER 😉

I guess you must be special :laugh:

If only that where true

Of course though, do feel free to do your own research before posting

I was actually looking for the sky forum thread that’s 250 odd pages long. I’m sure it’s in there somewhere

If only that where true

Of course though, do feel free to do your own research before posting

I was actually looking for the sky forum thread that’s 250 odd pages long. I’m sure it’s in there somewhere
So what are you saying, he's not special because he doesn't suffer the annoying sound issue?

I'm seriously considering going back to my Sky HD box

So what are you saying, he's not special because he doesn't suffer the annoying sound issue?

I'm seriously considering going back to my Sky HD box
If only that where true

I’d neither confirm nor deny any such thing except to say, as you can see from the google link, there’s is an awful lot of online chat about sound drop outs on sky.

As said earlier I also had the problem on sky plus. And as you can see so did a lot of other people

neither confirm nor deny ? Your not on LA Law :rotfl:

Had Q since a few weeks after launch. Would never go back to plus. My box behaves itself and has done since most of the early issues ironed out. Very few of my friends have had issues and most of them joined early.
My plus box used to need rebooting regularly.
It’s not meant to work like plus.
The issue for me is about Sky content and nothing to do with the delivery platform. Lack of UHD and Atmos content. At the end of the day it’s a mainstream product and these things don’t matter to most of its customers.
Can it be better - yes. Would I go back to plus - never.

Had a v1 no dropouts and moved to V3 recently and had dropouts regularly during live events with DD+. Also with my mini hubs I have screen freezing with both hubs, one in the bedroom and one a couple of feet from the router. Don’t know why as I have Sky Broadband.

Watched West Ham v Man U in UHD and Atmos yesterday evening. No sound drop outs, no picture break up.

No guide button is a drag, also powering on gives the Home Screen but 99% of the time we want the last viewed channel. Biggest disappointment was their UHD offering which was the main reason for upgrading from +HD. Didn’t realise it’s not true 4K. PQ is barely different and I could find Lord Lucan easier than their Atmos content.

Despite those moans, we get on well with the interface. Voice search is limited but handy. Wouldn’t want to have the Netflix/Prime issue of delay when rewinding and finding where to stop.

Re internet

New and exiting customers need to know this. The sky Q boxes are advertised with a hot spot feature. Iirc as a mesh system? A very good idea. And I’m assuming the amount of data transfer these boxes manage the WiFi must be pretty good spec if it’s installed correctly.

However, and as anyone who knows sky at all will suspect , there’s a catch (...there’s ALWAYS a catch with sky) the WiFi only works with sky’s broadband. Something they promised would not happen at launch, iirc.

So like me, now I know some people won’t fathom this if they don’t have the problem themselves 🙄 if you live in a rural area, like me, there’s a chance you won’t be able to get decent phone line based broadband. So like me, you won’t be able to get sky bb at all. Even if you wanted to. And given skys bb is Bt phone line based I know from experience you won’t get a decent service anyway unless your on Bt. Bt get better service from open reach, bad lines are prioritised to Bt customers. Not officially, oh no. We treat all costumers the same sir, scouts honour.
Bull snorts! We had a Bt engineer leave his notebook behind I’ve seen the notes of who’s lines is who’s and their provider info. Don’t believe a word of it. We be had our own unfathomable experience on this too

So, if you want the sky mesh/Hotspot feature or whatever it’s called, you can’t have it unless you take skys bb as well as the tv. And then they’ll be after you to take the phone service as well. And before you know it, with line rental, your bill is way bigger than you ever bargained for.

We can only get Gigaclear here. Unfathomable as that may be to some. So a 300mb connection that can’t be distributed by the sky box WiFi and the sky box WiFi can’t be turned off if you want the minis to work, last I heard ? So sky ha e no intention of distributing anything unless they get their pound of flesh
Sky always said the boxes would only act as hotspots if you had Sky broadband (otherwise they just use wi-fi between the boxes).

Of course the Openreach engineer has notes as to who each line is used by, but that doesn't mean they give BT Retail customers 'better' lines. If you can prove that, then I'm sure Sky or Talk talk would gladly pay for that info to take to Ofcom.

I've also only once found the main box eco mode being an issue - was working at 4am and wanted to watch something on the office mini, but couldn't.
Normally it's not a problem as I'm usually asleep in the few hours when the main box goes eco.

No guide button is a drag, also powering on gives the Home Screen but 99% of the time we want the last viewed channel. Biggest disappointment was their UHD offering which was the main reason for upgrading from +HD. Didn’t realise it’s not true 4K. PQ is barely different and I could find Lord Lucan easier than their Atmos content.

Despite those moans, we get on well with the interface. Voice search is limited but handy. Wouldn’t want to have the Netflix/Prime issue of delay when rewinding and finding where to stop.
What makes you say it's not true 4K?

What makes you say it's not true 4K?

I think he may be getting confused by it being 3860 x 2160 rather than full DCI 4096 x 2160.

I get audio drop outs watching football in UHD

my box needs rebooting pretty much every day or you get occasional picture break up, or the UHD will become unavailable. Give it a hard reboot and it’s fine.

What have Sky said about it - you're entitled to free callouts to fix that sort of issue.

Personally, my Q box is way more stable than Sky+HD ever was. Honestly can't remember the last time I had to reboot it, compared to the old box which needed restarting every few weeks to keep red button services working.

Good point, which reminds me if not aware...one of the only shortcuts I’ve found is, press right arrow from a blank screen gives the last channel in the search banner at the bottom of the screen. Which can then be selected if required.

Sky always said the boxes would only act as hotspots if you had Sky broadband (otherwise they just use wi-fi between the boxes).

Of course the Openreach engineer has notes as to who each line is used by, but that doesn't mean they give BT Retail customers 'better' lines. If you can prove that, then I'm sure Sky or Talk talk would gladly pay for that info to take to Ofcom.

I've also only once found the main box eco mode being an issue - was working at 4am and wanted to watch something on the office mini, but couldn't.
Normally it's not a problem as I'm usually asleep in the few hours when the main box goes eco.
And where is your proof of that? Who says sky always said...

You?

What have Sky said about it - you're entitled to free callouts to fix that sort of issue.

Personally, my Q box is way more stable than Sky+HD ever was. Honestly can't remember the last time I had to reboot it, compared to the old box which needed restarting every few weeks to keep red button services working.

1) I’m glad sky have some customers with a working q box. Plus was Pretty good towards the end after a good few updates required to settle the thing down, true enough.
What did sky say about it? Your entitled to free call outs to fix that sort of issue. Although, have you actually tried does king to a human at sky? And getting a usable reply? You’ll be on the phone for at least an hour

2) my sky q box is far from stable. Crashing. Locking up. The minis were a shocking state on install. There’s is no usable reset feature in the software either, which sky plus had, that does t mean resting all your settings or clearing out the contents.
Some members of the sky forum have even suggested using a smart plug to power off the box via the plug app on your phone in order to avoid constantly getting up to reset it or applying too much stress to the poorer lead on the box for keep
Pulling the bloody thing out.

Keep reporting it to Sky until they either fix it or let you out the contract then. If you find the system so bad, then get rid of it.

I haven’t reported it yet, it’s only since I’ve been watching UHD football in the last month I’ve been able to deduce the issue And literally this weekend I’ve been able to, clumsily, resolve it,

And where is your proof of that? Who says sky always said...

You?

I was aware of that too as it was mentioned here in the Sky forum and online reviews when the Q boxes first came out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom