Sky Q list of failings v sky plus

Chrisgixer

Keep reporting it to Sky until they either fix it or let you out the contract then. If you find the system so bad, then get rid of it.

....my contract is my concern not yours. But why should I/we suffer In order to watch the sports and movies we like? That we are paying for? Having followed sky’s advertising? That conveniently omits and hides these details? You can’t find these things out until your in a contract, and some several months into it in my case until they get the poxy thing settled down and working correctly.

I want sky to sort these things out and go back to the relatively innovative company they once were. Rather than bending their customers over the desk at EVERY opportunity

Chrisgixer

I was aware of that too as it was mentioned here in the Sky forum and online reviews when the Q boxes first came out.
It’s not what up I was told on the phone to them early on. Fully expecting the goalposts to move layer down the line to the position, as you say

rs101

And where is your proof of that? Who says sky always said...

You?

Sky said it..
A quick Google :-

And this ISP Review article quotes from Sky's press release confirming it only works with Sky Broadband...

Chrisgixer

so to add, assault of discussions else where, you may need to know how uhd is delivered. It is not available directly from each channel. All the channel numbers are HD. They will never deliver uhd or uhd in hdr directly from that channel.

uhd content delivered via the internet. Either by download or interactive services on the red button attached to that channel.

So what you ask?

well for one you may have limited broadband access. Live in a remote area, or have a bad line. Sky will require a decent bb speed or advise you that your experience may not be up to standard ideally. They may not care and take your money anyway, or it may get over looked altogether giving disappointment. Heaven forbid

the perception seems to be that uhd is delivered by satellite via the tuners. It’s not. It’s an internet service. Presumably the sky satellite system can’t deliver the band width. Whatever, be sure your internet connection is man enough to tdeluver the service. Bearing in mind bb services vary on demand levels, time of day etc.
Sky said it..
A quick Google :-

And this ISP Review article quotes from Sky's press release confirming it only works with Sky Broadband...
easy being wise now, after sign up months after contract start.

but it’s good to highlight these things for new customers 👍

rs101

so to add, assault of discussions else where, you may need to know how uhd is delivered. It is not available directly from each channel. All the channel numbers are HD. They will never deliver uhd or uhd in hdr directly from that channel.

uhd content delivered via the internet. Either by download or interactive services on the red button attached to that channel.

So what you ask?

well for one you may have limited broadband access. Live in a remote area, or have a bad line. Sky will require a decent bb speed or advise you that your experience may not be up to standard ideally. They may not care and take your money anyway, or it may get over looked altogether giving disappointment. Heaven forbid

the perception seems to be that uhd is delivered by satellite via the tuners. It’s not. It’s an internet service. Presumably the sky satellite system can’t deliver the band width. Whatever, be sure your internet connection is man enough to tdeluver the service. Bearing in mind bb services vary on demand levels, time of day etc.

easy being wise now, after sign up months after contract start.

but it’s good to highlight these things for new customers 👍

All live UHD sports are delivered via satellite on Sky, not internet. You can prove this by disconnecting your box from the internet while watching one of the events.

These are the 2 UHD broadcasts:-

Chrisgixer

Where’s the post gone where I suggested you unplug YOUR internet services and see what works...?

rs101

Where’s the post gone where I suggested you unplug YOUR internet services and see what works...?
On the other thread, where I replied to it.

Here's the usage report from my ISP. I watched today's F1 in UHD, yet used hardly any data. Compare that to 9pm last night when I watched a movie on NetFlix (HD - no UHD version available).

Screenshot_20201206-231426.jpg

Chrisgixer

On the other thread, where I replied to it.

Here's the usage report from my ISP. I watched today's F1 in UHD, yet used hardly any data. Compare that to 9pm last night when I watched a movie on NetFlix (HD - no UHD version available).

View attachment 1417780
Pull the other one. 🤣

Chrisgixer

Clicked the wrong bloody window 🤪

Chrisgixer

Thought of (yet another) good thing, well I think it’s good... favourites. Gives a list accessible from the TV guide. And from the search banner if your in a favourite. That I think is quite good. Well done sky 👍🥴🙄

InvisibleDuncan

I upgraded to Sky Q from the old Sky+ HD boxes, and while I'm mostly very happy with it there is one really annoying feature: the mini TV in the menu. On my old Sky+ I was able to switch that feature off, but I can't find out how to do it on Sky Q. Is it possible?

I wanted to start watching a programme I was recording and went into the menu to call the recording up. However, the mini TV on the menu was tuned to the channel I was recording from, so as soon as I opened the menu I saw the end of the programme with the killer being led away in handcuffs. Obviously enough, this pretty much ruined the point of watching the programme.

Other than that, I think the new remote is very poor - badly laid out and shaped so that I find it difficult to choose buttons without having to look at the remote. If I'm watching TV in a dark room, that's not always easy. The number of times I've backed up out of a programme instead of turning the volume up, or changed the input on my TV instead of fast-forwarding is ridiculous. I'm not sure why I can't get to grips with that, but it's annoying.

CaptainJames

Yes what the Captain said, and isn’t HDMI 1.4 less full phat?

All UHD TV is 3860 x 2160 - 4K is just a marketing term for it that has stuck. UHD is 4 x the resolution of 1080p HD.

jonoro

InvisibleDuncan
Sky report that if you increase the number of allowed recordings to maximum then the tv mini image freezes to a static picture.

"There is a slight catch with using this setting. It will mean that the video thumbnail you see in the EPG will change to a static picture."
Sehh here

Sammod66

Standard Member
I upgraded to Sky Q from the old Sky+ HD boxes, and while I'm mostly very happy with it there is one really annoying feature: the mini TV in the menu. On my old Sky+ I was able to switch that feature off, but I can't find out how to do it on Sky Q. Is it possible?

I wanted to start watching a programme I was recording and went into the menu to call the recording up. However, the mini TV on the menu was tuned to the channel I was recording from, so as soon as I opened the menu I saw the end of the programme with the killer being led away in handcuffs. Obviously enough, this pretty much ruined the point of watching the programme.

Other than that, I think the new remote is very poor - badly laid out and shaped so that I find it difficult to choose buttons without having to look at the remote. If I'm watching TV in a dark room, that's not always easy. The number of times I've backed up out of a programme instead of turning the volume up, or changed the input on my TV instead of fast-forwarding is ridiculous. I'm not sure why I can't get to grips with that, but it's annoying.
I believe that if you go to setup options and change the number of simultaneous recordings to the maximum (from 5 to 6 I think) it automatically loses the mini TV in the menu - I haven't done it myself but noticed there is some text within that settings section which tells you that is what will happen

Chrisgixer

watching Uhd football , press select would normally give search banner at bottom of screen. But in an interactive application the these features are NA just giving programme description. Navigation for next programme or search up and down channels missing.

cuke2u

I believe that if you go to setup options and change the number of simultaneous recordings to the maximum (from 5 to 6 I think) it automatically loses the mini TV in the menu - I haven't done it myself but noticed there is some text within that settings section which tells you that is what will happen
Settings, preferences, maximum number of recordings, it then states within that when set to six video within the mini guide and split screen features will be disabled..

Chrisgixer

The app. Now sky go does not have a remote control app like the sky plus app had.
....you can watch on the app itself obviously but you can’t control the box itself for other purposes like you could on plus

one to keep in mind if your looking to distribute q by third party means. However costly that might be.

Has anyone distributed sky q by other means than mini boxes ?

InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan
Sky report that if you increase the number of allowed recordings to maximum then the tv mini image freezes to a static picture.

"There is a slight catch with using this setting. It will mean that the video thumbnail you see in the EPG will change to a static picture."
Sehh here

Thanks for the suggestion, guys, but unfortunately it doesn't change the mini-TV on the home screen. It only affects the the one on the scroll banner.

Settings, preferences, maximum number of recordings, it then states within that when set to six video within the mini guide and split screen features will be disabled..

dcjs01

Re internet

New and exiting customers need to know this. The sky Q boxes are advertised with a hot spot feature. Iirc as a mesh system? A very good idea. And I’m assuming the amount of data transfer these boxes manage the WiFi must be pretty good spec if it’s installed correctly.

However, and as anyone who knows sky at all will suspect , there’s a catch (...there’s ALWAYS a catch with sky) the WiFi only works with sky’s broadband. Something they promised would not happen at launch, iirc.

So like me, now I know some people won’t fathom this if they don’t have the problem themselves 🙄 if you live in a rural area, like me, there’s a chance you won’t be able to get decent phone line based broadband. So like me, you won’t be able to get sky bb at all. Even if you wanted to. And given skys bb is Bt phone line based I know from experience you won’t get a decent service anyway unless your on Bt. Bt get better service from open reach, bad lines are prioritised to Bt customers. Not officially, oh no. We treat all costumers the same sir, scouts honour.
Bull snorts! We had a Bt engineer leave his notebook behind I’ve seen the notes of who’s lines is who’s and their provider info. Don’t believe a word of it. We be had our own unfathomable experience on this too

So, if you want the sky mesh/Hotspot feature or whatever it’s called, you can’t have it unless you take skys bb as well as the tv. And then they’ll be after you to take the phone service as well. And before you know it, with line rental, your bill is way bigger than you ever bargained for.

We can only get Gigaclear here. Unfathomable as that may be to some. So a 300mb connection that can’t be distributed by the sky box WiFi and the sky box WiFi can’t be turned off if you want the minis to work, last I heard ? So sky ha e no intention of distributing anything unless they get their pound of flesh
I wouldn’t worry about not having the Sky mesh/hotspot feature. Compared to other mesh systems it is terrible. I ran with it for while after getting SkyQ, I already had Sky broadband, but in the end gave up and went back to my BT whole home system for general wifi usage. The only devices still on the Sky wifi are the main box and one mini box.

Ragnarok

Yea Sky Q is weird. The mini boxes can only connect to the main Q box not your actual Home wlan when it's performance craps on the SkyQ wifi from a greet height and at the same time the Sky Q boxes by default introduces Co- channel wifi interference ( I need my network on CH36-44) and this renders any wifi QoS USELESS.

The Solution disable wifi completely on the Sky Q boxes Ethernet wherever possible, Buy WiFi to Ethernet bridge devices an if you need WiFi . This really shouldn't be necessary but with wifi it's always better to use proper kit, AX wifi especially in buzy environments is a massive improvement if you can find the kit at a good price..
Another Bug bare, if you Use some good gear like a home Ubiquity Unifi setup and no Ethernet, this is necessary even the main Q box won't connect to it at all. So every time at work I spec up a Unify install I see Sky Q I have to pick up Wifi to Ethernet bridges for all the sky boxes or place the unify unit's close enough to the sky boxes to run a Ethernet cable from them.

I get regular picture glitches that occasionally lead to audio dropouts even though the signal quality is spot on They are only monetary and not that annoying but other boxes connected to the distribution system using SCR work perfectly all the time. So we use an alternative setup for Glitch-less free to air and FTA recordings.

I'm tempted to setup a separate dish myself that the Sky installer refused to do see if the wide band LNB to see if there is any improvement ( i think it was still glitchy but less so on the wideband LNB when it was installed).
On the initial install the installer preferred to take out my working system for FTA services which works better than sky Q consisting of VU+ solo 4k l linking with Kodi on devices around the house . or both recordings and live TV. It least in my case the installer doesn't appear to carry any Hybrid LNB's any more. So I had to put it back when he left.
In My case before I switched out and upgraded my LNB on my distribution system, It's also quite shocking that Sky Q boxes and STi FBC tuners (I can't believe Sky cheeped out an didn't stick with broadcom chipsets and FBC tuners like in the VU+ Solo 4k ) are soo picky and requiring a much better signal particularly on distribution systems that work flawlessly heavy rain and shine on every sky+ and the VU+solo 4k running 9 tuners, yet some channels on Sky Q were completely missing.

The most annoying glitch if the Q box HDD gets too close to full the Mini boxes start to misbehave. you have to delete some recordings and restart the Main Q box.

You have to keep ringing sky and talk with them about technical issues else nothing gets done.

Wow that turned into a rant. Sky Q isn't that bad but it still has a lot of annoying issues and silly restrictions. Sky really need to allow other equipment to work with the viewing cards like the good old days of analogue, and the back when you could use your sky digital viewing card in other boxes and bypass the Sky HD audio dropouts on good kit that way.

Last edited:

rs101

Not had any problems with the box being nearly full - mine's at 94% full at the moment and the 2 minis work fine. I think they may use the reserved 300GB partition.

Chrisgixer

Sky plus had preferences on the home page for kids menues or sports to feature, iirc, near the top of the menu.

sky q has no such preferences and assumes it knows best and tells you what your having instead 🙄

I’d prefer to able to choose the “rail” ,to use sky language, that I want near the top of the home page

certainly given the lack of a direct short cut to the planner/recordings I’d much prefer to see last viewed at or near the top of the home page along with sports ( or whatever)

Last edited:

Chrisgixer

Not had any problems with the box being nearly full - mine's at 94% full at the moment and the 2 minis work fine. I think they may use the reserved 300GB partition.

constantly emptying mine due to the size of uhd recordings and the inability to just record a race, rather than the build up shows, every practice session not just final qualifying etc
Or just your favourite football team rather than every football match on Saturdays or whatever it does.

plus, in manage, I’d like to be able to play the recording Tom there as it’s easier to find stuff due to the way the planner stacks and hides what your looking for

rs101

That's just how series links for F1 have worked for years on both Sky+HD and Q. Nothing to do with the Q firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021