Millertime9

I appreciate this will have been asked a thousand times, but is there a definitive reason as to why the video is faster than the audio (so, adding an audio delay just worsens things?)
My sky q box is hdmi into TV, then hdmi from TV (arc) into soundbar
My soundbars an old one, so can't pass video through it so that fix is out
Also tried optical cable from TV to soundbar and no fix
I didn't have an issue with my bt youview box, what's the issue!?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The plague that is LG lip sync! A known issue that affects many, but not all LG TV owners, me included. It’s been such a hassle for me that I can never see me buying another LG device.

As for your issue, make sure that audio is set to pass through and also take a look at the TruMotion picture settings, which definitely impact lip sync.

Millertime9

The plague that is LG lip sync! A known issue that affects many, but not all LG TV owners, me included. It’s been such a hassle for me that I can never see me buying another LG device.

As for your issue, make sure that audio is set to pass through and also take a look at the TruMotion picture settings, which definitely impact lip sync.
Haha its nothing to do with the fact its LG though, surely?
People on the Samsung forum are being told "Samsung are famous for lip sync issues"

If it was the tvs fault, why is it never an issue with inbuilt apps or bt youview boxes?
Literally only ever had this problem since sky q box was installed last week?

The fact its only an issue since sky was installed suggests the sky box has something extra picture or audio wise which is causing the issue, something inbuilt apps or the youview box didn't?

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
I’ve been watching quite a lot of tv recently (more than usual as can’t walk 🥲) and have noticed the lip sync problem. I’m sure it’s got worse over the past couple of weeks.

This is on a Samsung tv so not just LG. Pretty sure it got worse yesterday after forwarding some adverts and resuming what I was watching.

Someone with better knowledge might be able to check if this has started since a sky update?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I don’t see much in the way of lip sync issues in my LG via the built-in tuners or apps., but anything externally connected is a mess, the only odd exception being a Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR, which seems to be fine, for the most part. Anything else that passes both video and audio just doesn’t work.

Splitting the audio and video from my BR players works most of the time — video to the TV, audio to a soundbar.

The issue here is a requirement for negative lip sync. Older LG TVs that ran NetOS, rather than WebOS, did have this facility, from what I can ascertain, which suggests that sync issues were not unknown. Just why LG withdrew the option is a mystery.

If you contact LG about sync issues, they simply blame the external kit as being incompatible. That’ll be the external kit that meets industry specs.

My Manhattan PVR does have negative lip sync, so via my LG, I can correct the issue to a degree.

This same kit, which LG claims is incompatible, gives no issues when connected to either my Panasonic or Sony TVs. On that basis, I stand by my original statement. If you don’t want lip sync issues, avoid LG.

I can’t comment on Samsung TVs as I’ve never owned one, and am unlikely to, given that they don’t support Dolby Vision.

My next TV will almost certainly be another Sony, which not only do I expect not to have lip sync issues, will also support DTS codecs, another thing that new LG TVs eschew.

Millertime9

I don’t see much in the way of lip sync issues in my LG via the built-in tuners or apps., but anything externally connected is a mess, the only odd exception being a Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR, which seems to be fine, for the most part. Anything else that passes both video and audio just doesn’t work.

Splitting the audio and video from my BR players works most of the time — video to the TV, audio to a soundbar.

The issue here is a requirement for negative lip sync. Older LG TVs that ran NetOS, rather than WebOS, did have this facility, from what I can ascertain, which suggests that sync issues were not unknown. Just why LG withdrew the option is a mystery.

If you contact LG about sync issues, they simply blame the external kit as being incompatible. That’ll be the external kit that meets industry specs.

My Manhattan PVR does have negative lip sync, so via my LG, I can correct the issue to a degree.

This same kit, which LG claims is incompatible, gives no issues when connected to either my Panasonic or Sony TVs. On that basis, I stand by my original statement. If you don’t want lip sync issues, avoid LG.

I can’t comment on Samsung TVs as I’ve never owned one, and am unlikely to, given that they don’t support Dolby Vision.

My next TV will almost certainly be another Sony, which not only do I expect not to have lip sync issues, will also support DTS codecs, another thing that new LG TVs eschew.
I have my sky box connected to the TV, I then have a hdmi from TV to soundbar
I have bought an optical cable to try that for the audio, but how do I set that up?

The TV just keeps playing the audio through the hdmi to soundbar and ignores the fact the soundbar and sky box are connected by optical?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom