Status
Not open for further replies.

VisionMan

SkyQ. So I wonder where is it? Other than vague leaked press reports just before the last Sky results presentation to placate share holders? A UHD satellite box? Fibre VoD only (like a UHD Now TV box) or just Vapourware?

whitesnake11

SkyQ. So I wonder where is it? Other than vague leaked press reports just before the last Sky results presentation to placate share holders? A UHD satellite box? Fibre VoD only (like a UHD Now TV box) or just Vapourware?
I think we won't see SkyQ until next year. Sky don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to rush to market. When it is launched my guess is it will cost £250+ And a UHD sub.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
No point in speculating.... there is little 4k content and UHD standards are not finalised yet...

whitesnake11

Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation and one thing is for sure when it happens sky will make us all pay for it. Doubt there will be free boxes unlike BT :)

logiciel

As kevkbuk says it's too soon to bother to speculate.

whitesnake11

logiciel

Of course, everyone to their own taste.

I am looking forward to being able to watch and record over 4 programmes at a time. Like the EE box, my family need to broadcast across our smartphones and tablets .

Their battle with BT is hastening the drive to launch this with it's Netflix like navigation. Word has it that although they had first decided to launch it in 2016, they are keen to have it ready for the Premier League season.

I am looking forward to being able to watch and record over 4 programmes at a time. Like the EE box, my family need to broadcast across our smartphones and tablets .

Their battle with BT is hastening the drive to launch this with it's Netflix like navigation. Word has it that although they had first decided to launch it in 2016, they are keen to have it ready for the Premier League season.
Well they have already missed that we are in week 4 already - unless they mean next year.

VisionMan

As kevkbuk says it's too soon to bother to speculate.
In fairness, it was Sky that allegedly leaked this "within weeks" story to the press and just before a results presentation as well. Something they are infamous for.

I am looking forward to being able to watch and record over 4 programmes at a time.
They (the press) didn't get this from anywhere, logi.

logiciel

Thanks.:smashin:

VisionMan

Sharp. Very sharp. :smashin:

But still true. The chances of a UHD satellite channel being launched are almost zero, due to adherence to internationally agreed broadcasting standards and the fact UHD 2.0 standards have not yet been agreed. Why launch 1.0 when 2.0 is already on the horizon? The internet on the other hand, is another matter.

pdoherty76

Before embarking on a new 4K box, shouldn't sky sort the problem of Sky Sports red button streams still being in SD, 9 years after HD launched!

whitesnake11

Before embarking on a new 4K box, shouldn't sky sort the problem of Sky Sports red button streams still being in SD, 9 years after HD launched!
They should focus on 4k for me:)

pinochio65

Hi all members, Now there is talk about SKY launching 4K HD on Ultra HD televisions. Apparently I have read that they are planning the launch on the 18th of November 2015, possible it could be a different date ??????. A new set-top box has been mentioned, there is a limit amount of information at present, what I would like to know, will the new box be connected to the Internet (Superfast Broadband ?????????.
Awaiting any replies.
Regards :- pinochio65

John

Can't link as on the app, but there is already a thread in the sky section

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Will really annoy me as I only had it fitted two weeks ago and bought two new boxes! I am going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can sort out some kind of deal.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
If it wasnt for Movies 24 and a couple of others not being included in freeview we wouldnt even have Sky now, they keep punishing everyone except sports fans when they try to make up money because they spent loads securing premier rights.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Does movies 24 have any decent films on it?!
Depends on what you call decent, there are a few gems throughout the year but coming up to Christmas it turns into Christmas 24.

Since Hallmark done away with their channel in the UK (and are now not letting UK people view their promos on YouTube, I tried and got its not available in your region) this is all thats left, I need something to help with the depression.

Edit
Check it out, I had to use a youtube downloader to watch them.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Been watching with a tiny bit of interest at all the movie providers bringing on UHD.

Just a tiny bit becuase I have a UHD TV nor any immediate plans to get one. I have Sky but not even Sky HD.

What interests me is bandwidth - in theory UHD needs 4x that of HD.

But I appreciate that all the HD providers use compression - I don't think any of them show true HD, Sky don't even support 1080P.

But regardless of that, UHD will need significantly more bandwidth and today I sometimes see HD struggle to stream.

I pay a fair old wack for Sky Fibre which gives me an actual 37Mbps download - well it does if I measure with a high availability site like speedtest.net. But in real use it is quite different. I've had it for quite a few years and to begin with it was great - it would handle Amazon streaming with ease. But I have noticed as the years have gone by, and presumably more and more people are accessing the same sites with good bandwidth connections, that my streaming has become less perfect.

I can still mostly stream HD movies from Amazon but more and more frequently, I find that I will encounter some stuttering.

So if I can't always guarantee that I can stream HD, how will I be able to reliable stream something with 4x the detail.

I see that Amzon are now letting you download - is that going to be their get out of jail card.

And if the Sky satellite bandwidth can't even handle 1080P, how is it going to do UHD - will it fall back on internet streaming/downloads.

Cheers,

Nigel

shodan

Distinguished Member
There just isn't a big enough step up from bluray or Netflix superhd for me to justify the extra expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.