Sky Q Installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by CmdZ4Life, Oct 24, 2018.

1. CmdZ4Life

CmdZ4Life
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just moved into a brand new house that has a Sky socket already installed. I used the Sky Move option and upgraded to Sky Q at the same time.
    After a failed first installation attempt, a team turned up and installed one main box and a mini-box.

To wire up the main box, they removed the faceplate and took out a metal connector at the back. They then replaced the faceplate and connected the cables. However, they are just hanging out the front of the plate. I queried this and was told that was normal for Sky Q.
    It looks awful. Has anybody else had an installation like this?
    I know eventually it will be behind a box but there must be something better than this surely.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Technically, it's as good as it gets. No sharp bends in the coax. Aesthetically, it's a crock of s**t.
    How do the cables enter the back box? Top, bottom, back etc. If there is enough room in the box so that you don't have to put a sharp bend in the cables inside the box, you could possibly fit captive right angled face-plate 'adapters'.
    You also need to tidy up that PSU and its cables whilst you are at it.:rotfl:

3. tom 2000

tom 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    I did the same with a coax feed to a tv rather than have a potentially dodgy face plate connector. Put a newspaper rack in front of it. Or push the cables back through the holes without forcing anything.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    That type of faceplate is totally incompatable with Sky Q and now has no useful purpose apart from covering the box behind it. You need to determine its manufacturer and to find out if they do a faceplate with just two satellite connectors- other than that it is a DIY job as suggested above

5. CmdZ4Life

CmdZ4Life
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I now understand the problem but don't understand why builders and Sky aren't talking to each other about this.
    It was a particularly painful install with Sky involving about eight 45 minute phone calls so I was slightly annoyed to end up with this Heath Robinson contraption.

Live and learn I suppose.

Thanks again for the info.

6. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Sky won't install faceplates but builders are still using cheap ones which aren't compatible with Q...

I doubt the average large housebuilder cares if Q works or not. The buyer will only find out about any problems after the sale is complete.