Sky Q installation question

amocs

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an original Sky SD box installed (for over 30 years now).
If I wanted to upgrade to Sky Q, I realize that the dish and/or LNB would need to be changed, but would the cable from the dish to the receiver need replacing?

TIA

How many cables are there from dish to box location ?

Just 1 cable
I did see a Sky Q installation video that explained how to connect the main receiver with either 1 or 2 cables.

I have an original Sky SD box installed (for over 30 years now).
If I wanted to upgrade to Sky Q, I realize that the dish and/or LNB would need to be changed, but would the cable from the dish to the receiver need replacing?

TIA
Must be an antique nowadays! They run a shotgun cable nowadays, but even if not strictly necessary, if your cable is also 30 years old then I would get it replaced anyway.

Thanks.
The problem for me there is if I have to have the cable replaced I wouldn't be able to get Sky Q installed until the lockdown finished.

Just 1 cable
I did see a Sky Q installation video that explained how to connect the main receiver with either 1 or 2 cables.

That's probably in a communal system where a dscr router is fitted (digital single cable router )

Thanks.
The problem for me there is if I have to have the cable replaced I wouldn't be able to get Sky Q installed until the lockdown finished.
Could you pull the cable through yourself? I pulled mine through my roofspace and down existing telephone wall ducts. A much tidier job than Sky would have done.

Thanks Graham, that's an interesting article.
There's a section there that seems to suggest that it's possible in a non - communal system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom