Sky Q installation question

amocs

I have an original Sky SD box installed (for over 30 years now).
If I wanted to upgrade to Sky Q, I realize that the dish and/or LNB would need to be changed, but would the cable from the dish to the receiver need replacing?

TIA

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

How many cables are there from dish to box location ?

amocs

Just 1 cable
I did see a Sky Q installation video that explained how to connect the main receiver with either 1 or 2 cables.

I have an original Sky SD box installed (for over 30 years now).
If I wanted to upgrade to Sky Q, I realize that the dish and/or LNB would need to be changed, but would the cable from the dish to the receiver need replacing?

TIA
Must be an antique nowadays! They run a shotgun cable nowadays, but even if not strictly necessary, if your cable is also 30 years old then I would get it replaced anyway.

amocs

Thanks.
The problem for me there is if I have to have the cable replaced I wouldn't be able to get Sky Q installed until the lockdown finished.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Just 1 cable
I did see a Sky Q installation video that explained how to connect the main receiver with either 1 or 2 cables.

That's probably in a communal system where a dscr router is fitted (digital single cable router )

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
The problem for me there is if I have to have the cable replaced I wouldn't be able to get Sky Q installed until the lockdown finished.
Could you pull the cable through yourself? I pulled mine through my roofspace and down existing telephone wall ducts. A much tidier job than Sky would have done.

amocs

Thanks Graham, that's an interesting article.
There's a section there that seems to suggest that it's possible in a non - communal system.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom