Sky Q installation problem

Foxhollow

Novice Member
Sky technician came today to install Sky Q but would not install as my current infrastructure would not be suitable he said. After chatting with him and questioning his reservations as I currently have a powered switch for SAT input he said I would need a DSCR but he still said that he was doubtful that I would get sufficient power from that as I connect via wall mounted face plates. He was even saying I would be better off staying with the Sky+ system I have now so as you can imagine I was not a happy person.
Below is my current set up and after doing a bit of an internet trawl it it would seem I may only need to put a Sky Q compatible multiswitch connected to the existing compact switch is that correct. If it is could the members suggest a Sky Q multiswitch. And if not please could you suggest the best way to put in the infrastructure to support Sky Q
All cabling and amplification switch is in the loft with cables down to wall boxes inside walls. Distance from satellite dish to wall box for Sky main box approx 25m
(edited: The Humax box will disappear in the new set up and be replaced by a Sky Q mini box)

Sky layout.jpg

Last edited:

leasty

Standard Member
How easy is it to get an additional run of cable from the dish/LNB to the switch area? You could replace the LNB with a hybrid one (Amazon/eBay....) and have two pairs of cables run into the loft from the dish. One pair for the Humax and another for Q. Bypass the switch and just join the relevant cables. Yes there will be some loss due to a join but that will be minimised by a quality connection, and over a 25m run that shouldn't be an issue if the existing cable is in good order.

If you are replacing the Sky HD with Q and adding a mini at the same time, do you still need the Humax? In which case you could just bypass the switch and join the two cables from the LNB to the outlets for Sky. You would still need to have the LNB replaced but a standard Sky Q LNB would suffice.

The Sky installers won't do that for you - you would have to get an independent installer (or DIY) to do the LNB and cabling, but Sky will use existing cabling and LNB as long as it works when they test or try it.

Foxhollow

Novice Member
Apologies I should have been clearer the Humax will be removed and replaced by the Sky mini. I did ask the sky fitter can we just bypass the current amplification switch and just couple the existing cables from the Satellite dish directly to those from the current switch in the loft going to the Sky main box. His reply was that he thought there maybe too much drop in the signal along the length of cable and going through a coupler and a face plate connection. That was why I thought of using a dSCR switch which would amplify the signal. Seeing I have a 4 channel LNB already would I still need to replace it?

leasty

Standard Member
It depends on your existing LNB as it needs to be a Sky Q compatible one - either a wideband or a hybrid - as a standard one will not work with a Q box. My cable run is about 20m has one join (I had to move the cable when we had an extension built) and a faceplate near the Q box. I've no problems with the Sky Q signal. Make sure all the plugs are connected well and use decent cable for the fly lead from faceplate to Sky box. I get a signal level of 50 and a signal quality of 90 on my Q box and have no issues.

Sky don't like joins in cables - they always want to lay their own contiguous new cables. That way any faults are down to them. If they use your cable and the Sky Q box doesn't get enough signal then they won't spend time trying to sort it as it may be your cabling or LNB which they have no control over and won't touch. If it was me I would do a test by bypassing the switch and connecting the two cables from the LNB to the Sky HD feed and see what level of signal you get. If it's good enough for Sky HD I would expect it to be okay for Sky Q.

miggyboys

Sky technician came today to install Sky Q but would not install as my current infrastructure would not be suitable he said. After chatting with him and questioning his reservations as I currently have a powered switch for SAT input he said I would need a DSCR but he still said that he was doubtful that I would get sufficient power from that as I connect via wall mounted face plates. He was even saying I would be better off staying with the Sky+ system I have now so as you can imagine I was not a happy person.
Below is my current set up and after doing a bit of an internet trawl it it would seem I may only need to put a Sky Q compatible multiswitch connected to the existing compact switch is that correct. If it is could the members suggest a Sky Q multiswitch. And if not please could you suggest the best way to put in the infrastructure to support Sky Q
All cabling and amplification switch is in the loft with cables down to wall boxes inside walls. Distance from satellite dish to wall box for Sky main box approx 25m
(edited: The Humax box will disappear in the new set up and be replaced by a Sky Q mini box)

View attachment 1452490
Hi Foxhollow

Been through this, I currently have SkyQ via multiswitch. I have a none dSCR multiswitch, and used the Triax adapter below to make it compatible with SkyQ. I've had this setup for a few years and it works flawlessly. Below is my setup if it's any help for you to understand where you may get to in the future.

Adapter to enable a normal multiswitch to accept dSCR (i.e. SkyQ).

Or you could buy a new switch that has dSCR built in.

My setup is this:
Quattro LNB (not Quad, note there is a big difference) > Multiswitch (with Triax adapter) > Quadplex wall plates in various rooms.

Note that with SkyQ, you only require one feed to the main box as all the other boxes are connected via Wifi or ethernet. They do not take feeds from the multiswitch.

I also have my terrestrial TV, FM and DAB going into the multiswitch, which are all distributed to the quadplex plates in various rooms.

I have 90% signal quality and 70% signal strength on the SkyQ box. I have two additional SkyQ mini boxes, so in totally, I have Sky in three rooms. All work perfectly.

State what type of LNB you have, I'm presuming it's a Quad and not Quattro. Note that I'm not sure if SkyQ needs a Quattro LNB to use it via a multiswitch or if Quad/wideband LNB will also work.

One big tip. When the Sky engineer eventually switches the SkyQ box to dSCR mode, wait at least 5-10 minutes because the signal doesn't always come through straight away. The engineer who did mine didn't think it was working and after about 6-10m, it came through. No idea why but it doesn't really matter because it's all worked perfectly since.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Foxhollow

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply which confirmed which way I am going to go, since posting I have looked at the adapter you mentioned and it seems the best way to go. The LNB that I have is a Quattro one. My system was put in 8 years ago when we renovated the house so I took the decision to put numerous satellite connections in most rooms and also cat 5 connection next to them to future proof. I do have wireless round the house but I find ethernet more stable than wireless. Also this way I can use the freesat Humax box in another room.

smiler30

Wait till lockdown is over and rebook your install and ask for a mdu engineer who as long as your signal is good will fit the adapter for you. I have fitted loads in houses with communal systems.

miggyboys

Wait till lockdown is over and rebook your install and ask for a mdu engineer who as long as your signal is good will fit the adapter for you. I have fitted loads in houses with communal systems.
Are you referring to the Triax adapter? It's very easy to fit yourself, you just need four small length coaxial cables.

smiler30

Are you referring to the Triax adapter? It's very easy to fit yourself, you just need four small length coaxial cables.
We don't fit triax ones but unitron but it's essentially the same. Why pay out for the parts when you can get it for free?

miggyboys

Thank you for your reply which confirmed which way I am going to go, since posting I have looked at the adapter you mentioned and it seems the best way to go. The LNB that I have is a Quattro one. My system was put in 8 years ago when we renovated the house so I took the decision to put numerous satellite connections in most rooms and also cat 5 connection next to them to future proof. I do have wireless round the house but I find ethernet more stable than wireless. Also this way I can use the freesat Humax box in another room.
So is your current SkyHD+ using the Quattro LNB? Re Sky engineers, it may have changed in the last few years but in 2015, I had three different ones comes to the house and they were all shying away from trying to get it working as they said they weren't meant to work with dSCR and multiswitches. The first two hadn't even seen a multiswitch before, which I found bizarre, given their line of work. I suppose they would claim that it's more commercial than domestic. One of them refused to install SkyQ because of the multiswitch and dSCR. I had to persuade him to try. The second one kept referring to a network switch as a server.

The last chap that came, was older and more patient but he couldn't get it working. After the SkyQ images came through, he said he'd never seen a signal take so long to appear.

One other tip, some engineers claim that the SkyQ signal does or doesn't work on the Sat 1 of a Triplex/Quadplex plate. They seem to think that it can interfere with the other frequencies. I've no idea if this is true but I'd be surprised if it was. Mine works on Sat 1 so don't mess around swapping it in a bid to get it working (only applicable if you have quadplex wall plate).

Images enclosed of the multiswitch > dSCR adapter > to wall plates.

The short cable from the multiswitch to dSCR adapter I made myself. Some good quality sat grade coaxial cable and screw on F type coaxial plugs. If you notice to the right, I've got new F type coaxial compression fit plugs by Cabelcon. I bought a tool for about £20 and used those plugs, which are brilliant as they don't come off. I need to get round to fitting them to those short cables because they work loose a little as the cable is so stiff and the sockets on each device aren't aligned.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

pompeyboyblue

Novice Member
Sat 1 will work fine but preferred method is sat 2 as you haven’t got the potential interference with other frequency.
Only time you should use sat 1 is if sat 2 is being used as a power source for dscr (if no power at headend). Using sat 1 isn’t an issue though, just best practice is to use sat 2 if available

miggyboys

I heard this before, but I don't see how there could be potential interference, the frequencies are totally different.

Foxhollow

Novice Member
Thank you to all who provided advice. Two days ago my Sky Q was finally installed and is working very well. I followed the advice given and bought a Triax dSCR adapter. The Sky Q installation went well, the main box and the mini box are connected via Ethernet connections.

So thank you all

BurbB

Novice Member
I'm toying with an upgrade to Q from a setup using a Quattro lnb and a multi switch feeding the house from an AV cupboard. This is also home to 2 HD boxes and a router + switches for cat5/6 networks hard wired into all rooms. The sky hdmi outs get fed into extenders over cat 5 to various rooms. Somehow this all seems to work and is very stAble.

I would want to put the Q Box and probably 2 minis in there replacing the old boxes & connect them with cat6 rather than wifi.

From what's been said am I right that if I order a new Q system I need to ask for a certain type of installer, namely mdu? Will they/ sky supply & fit the dscr adaptor or will I need to? Experience tells me installers don't like or won't touch anything they haven't supplied.

Are there any gotchas I should know about?

Foxhollow

Novice Member
I installed the dscr adapter myself. Talking to the second sky technician that came, who was not mdu trained but did know enough about them as he was one of sky's experienced fitter. I would definitely try and get Sky to send a mdu technician, also they do carry dscr adapters in their vans, however I do not know whether they fit them at additional cost. With mine the technician tested the signal at the face plate to see if it was adequate for Sky Q and it was so he then installed the box and the mini box. Both are connected using cat 5 cabling and is working very good.

Last edited:

logiciel

mdu?

BurbB

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies Foxy/Smiler. I'm not great at making up cable connections so I think I'll want the Sky installer to put in the adapter & they obviously need to be able to work with a multiswitch. Also, unless they bring a platform theres no access to the dish and the AV cupbpard isnt on an external wall so there's no way we could run a new cable straight to the Q box anyway. Even if swmbo was prepared to even talk about it🤦‍♀️

On a related topic, I'm using my own router (with BT for now) & plan to keep it. With Q using ethernet (or wifi) what is the effect on the network i.e what happens with all the extra traffic from streaming the mini boxes? Does everything else slow down? We're a long copper run way from our fibre cabinet so we're only getting 15-17mb/s on a good day but its working quite well for us streaming netfix etc.

smiler30

Won't need access to the dish as long as it's aligned correctly, we would just need access to your multi switch.
it won't slow your internet down, it will work just fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021