Question Sky Q Installation Dilemma

Bernster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I live close to the sea and my old Sky dish, which was installed well before we bought the house was very rusty and the cable connections had deteriorated so that the signal was affected in the rain.

We paid a private professional company to replace the dish and cabling last summer and we invested in a Triax DAP 60cm fibreglass dish with a quad digital LNB and a weather proof mounting bracket. We only currently use 2 of the 4 LNB outputs and have no immediate plans to use the other 2. The dish is mounted on the side of a detached house and easily accessible by ladder.

The Triax has a standard 40mm LNB holder whereas the Sky LNBs are a bit smaller (37.3mm?) and come with a connecting arm for quick changing on the Sky mini dish. The Sky LNBs are also for the elliptical dish (feed horn) as opposed for the larger circular dishes.

From what I understand the Sky installers are not permitted to install non-Sky equipment and so even if I provide the right wideband LNB for the Triax dish they will refuse to install it and the Sky Q boxes.

Will they also refuse to install the Sky Q receivers if I have the suitable wideband LNB installed prior to their visit ? I'm more than willing to accept full responsibility for any future issues or failure for the disk, the LNB and the cabling into the house, I just want them to provide the receivers.

Any experience or recommendations to share ?

We moved into a new build house last year and the developer left all the cables in the loft for freeview and sky. Knowing sky don’t normal route cables through the loft I paid for a local company to mount the dish for Sky Q and connect to the existing cables in the loft.

Sky guy arrived the following week and never said a word about the dish, it was an easy install for him and spent more time with me going over the sky q features etc.

Thanks w3dal,

that's helpful, I guess it's dependent on the installer, I'd be really disappointed if they objected if things were all set-up and tested, as you say it's an easy install if they only have to do the receiver install and setup.

Was your dish a standard mini-disk and dual feed wide band LNB ?

I’m not sure tbh, it just looks like the same dish we had in our previous house for Sky +, but with the correct lnb - so I would say yes, the standard setup that a sky guy would install.

They did a test to confirm it had the correct lnb setup and then popped out to his van to grab the q boxes. But that time the kettle was on and he was cracking on with the first of three boxes he had to setup

if I have the suitable wideband LNB installed prior to their visit ?

You have a standard sized 60cm dish so there is no suitable wideband LNB available... only Sky make them and the feedhorns are designed to match the Sky elliptical dish.

You either replace the dish with a standard Sky one, fit the Sky LNB and hope for the best or look at multiswitch/dscr systems.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom